It is currently Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lying to Muggles
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:30 am 
MGS Director

I saw a log today that made me laugh.

When approached by a muggle while finding a cache by a car wash, coresrlooking wrote:

Log Date: 12/8/2013
OK. I think this is funny. Came this morning cuz at 28* I figured no muggles this time. Wrong. One guy here cleaning his work van. So I just go for it quick,,, but noooo. He comes right over and asks if I work here cuz the soap is broken. No I smile. I don't work here. Well he asks. What are you doing??? Oh I'm just giving them a price to repaint this old guard rail. [^] TFTC.

What are some of the other things you have used to ward off the "evil" muggles? :liar: :liar: :liar:

Post subject: Re: Lying to Muggles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:23 am 
MGS Member

LOL!!! I take the direct route. I just tell them I'm playing a game, and explain it. SO much simpler! And perhaps might gain us a few more cachers along the way! But USUALLY the only ones who approach me while caching ALONE are cops! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:36 pm 
MGS Member

Wow, coresrlooking showed some quick thinking! Might have to add that to our arsenal, not that we've had much occasion to fib.

That said, our shoes NEVER seem to stay tied. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:23 am 
MGS Member

Funny never really though about actually lying. We usually say we are doing a scavenger hunt. If the ask more then we explain the game. However, I have made many phone calls on our GPS as a distraction.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:07 am 
MGS Member

I quite frequently decide that the best course is to simply explain exactly what I am doing if there are people paying attention to what I am doing. My assumption is that most adults are unlikely to muggle a cache (especially if you don't point out the presence of coins) particularly if it is a small. Perhaps I take this tact because I am not confident in my ability to get people to believe a cover story.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:42 am 
MGS Member

I recently hid a 2 nano geocache close to my house at a playground. A local police officer that I went to high school with noticed me there at daybreak and of course had that this is unusual look as a grown man is crawling under the equipment. So of course I was approached and was asked what I was doing. Being old friends I had to lie/joke. I told him the pd wasn't enforcing the curfew at night and that I was removing the bolts to teach them a lesson. I did have a multitool in hand trying to pop off caps on slides for hiding spots. So after seeing the look on his face I pulled out the 2 nanos I was attempting to hide and explained geocaching. Showed him the phone app and my GPS and his mind was blown that there were so many in an area he has lived all his life. I wouldn't be surprised if he has created an account and caches on duty lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:06 pm 
MGS Member

I tell the truth. With the exception of the police officers that have approached me, everyone seems to have heard of it before.