It is currently Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: E-ZPass?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:47 pm 
MGS Member

I hope it's okay to ask this here since I can't find the info elsewhere.

Since we're new to the area, I was advised to get an E-ZPass because I'll need to take the ICC to get between home and work.

We finally have a couple pieces of mail with our address on it so we can get MD licenses and plates. But can I go ahead and register an E-ZPass without a MD license and plate? The E-ZPass website asks for a transponder number and validation code, but I can't see if it wants any other information.

Post subject: Re: E-ZPass?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:15 pm 
MGS Site Admin

I don't think they care where you live as long as they have a way to bill you ;)

Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:49 pm 
MGS Member

If you get one from New Jersey ezpass you won't have to pay a monthly fee or a deposit for the transponder if you link a card to your account for payments.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:13 pm 
MGS Member

sj314cp wrote:
If you get one from New Jersey ezpass you won't have to pay a monthly fee or a deposit for the transponder if you link a card to your account for payments.

I'm paying a dollar a month for my NJ Ezpass, and it's linked to my Credit card. Unless things changed recently?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:12 am 
MGS Member

Strictly speaking, you don't even have to have a vehicle to have an ez-pass. You only have to have the right type of ez-pass for the vehicle that you're using it in. For non-commercial vehicles, they have motorcycle, car, and light truck ez-passes.

So, assume you have 2 cars, but only 1 of you plan to use ez-pass often. You can get just 1.
Now, you go on vacation with the other car. You can move it over, and remember to move it back when you're done.

Before committing to an ez-pass, it is advisable to check every state in the system. Some may still have free accounts. I don't think so, but it is worth checking. I used to have NJ ez-passes, but when they started charging of the privilege, I switched to MD. Then MD started charging too.

VA offers Ez-pass FLEX. which allows you to skip payment if you meet HOV restrictions.
(Other states may offer them too, but VA is advertising it.)

Good luck, and welcome to MD. It's a great state.
-Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:39 am 
MGS Director

Like many others have said, check out the states. If you get an EZ-Pass in Maryland, you will receive a discount when you take Maryland tolled areas (except the ICC :( ).

These discounts come in handy as you traverse the state for CAM or other caching adventures.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:28 pm 
MGS Member

Thanks a ton for the info, everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:40 pm 
MGS Member

Hi & welcome to the area. I dont know where you are living & I havent seen anyone say this so Ill add it just FYI. If you live across the Bay Bridge on 'the Eastern Shore' as many refer to it & will need to cross the bridge to get to work there are different passes available. 1 is for commuters. It is the cheapest. You do have to use it x number of times in a certain span of days (I'm sorry I dont remember exactly). When both my husband & I worked over the bridge we each had this pass. Then when I retired we kept the worker tag & got a shoppers tag. Its a bit more but still cheaper than paying full charge each time & then we could swap them out if we needed to. Now that we are both retired we have the 3rd type tag which is still a bit cheaper that just the regular toll. So check that out.

I dont know if they do the same for the bridges in Baltimore though. It may just be a zpass at regular toll just easier to use than having to stop every trip. Good Luck & again welcome to the area. Mother Wolf