Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

custom coin or trackable

General Chit-Chat.
david&theresacache
MGS Member

custom coin or trackable

Post by david&theresacache »

Hello there all - relatively new to mdgps and geocaching, but we are hooked on this awesome hobby/obsession.
I have dug around in the forums, and the related posts are old so I thought I'd attempt a new thread.

We recently had to say goodbye to our cat, Paws - there simply was no better name for a polydactyl cat that more toes than even the 'average' polydactyl (he had a total of 25!). We'd like to make a trackable and release it into the wild in honor of Paws.
I have gone internet-research crazy and am astounded at the sheer number of sites making custom coins with no clear-cut choice, never mind that I only want to make a few and the cost is high for such a personal cause. I have examined wooden nickels, briefly considered tokens, and am seriously considering pathtags for their price. In a cost and quantity not an issue ideal world, I'd love to make a custom coin meant to travel in the shape of his pawprint, but I know that's just not realistic. I've been surprised to not find anything out there already that has a pet-commemorative vibe to it.
My current thought is to make a pathtag and slap a travel bug tag on one I'd like to send off, and drop the (lots) of extra pathtags randomly as it feels right.

Anybody have any thoughts or recent experience with a custom trackable or any other ideas/feedback?

Thank you!
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Re: custom coin or trackable

Post by nighthawk700 »

david&theresacache wrote:Hello there all - relatively new to mdgps and geocaching, but we are hooked on this awesome hobby/obsession.
I have dug around in the forums, and the related posts are old so I thought I'd attempt a new thread.

We recently had to say goodbye to our cat, Paws - there simply was no better name for a polydactyl cat that more toes than even the 'average' polydactyl (he had a total of 25!). We'd like to make a trackable and release it into the wild in honor of Paws.
I have gone internet-research crazy and am astounded at the sheer number of sites making custom coins with no clear-cut choice, never mind that I only want to make a few and the cost is high for such a personal cause. I have examined wooden nickels, briefly considered tokens, and am seriously considering pathtags for their price. In a cost and quantity not an issue ideal world, I'd love to make a custom coin meant to travel in the shape of his pawprint, but I know that's just not realistic. I've been surprised to not find anything out there already that has a pet-commemorative vibe to it.
My current thought is to make a pathtag and slap a travel bug tag on one I'd like to send off, and drop the (lots) of extra pathtags randomly as it feels right.

Anybody have any thoughts or recent experience with a custom trackable or any other ideas/feedback?

Thank you!
Have you taken a look at GxProxy? Their Replicoin might fit the bill: http://www.shop.gxproxy.com/RepliCoin-RC000010.htm
mmacfarland
MGS Member

Post by mmacfarland »

I am a fan of Gxproxy.

They make a custom trackable nomad for me.

I have those and replicoins if you would like to see an actual product.

They just released a trackable dog tag that can be custom engraved and trackable.
Custom Dog Tag Trackables
3.25 each including tracking number
Engraving package 25

I haven't explored that product but seem to be cheapest way I have seen to get a small batch of custom trackable.
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

They do make smaller size coins which are less expensive. Tom at CHQuality Coins is very good to work with and accomodating. Tom will be at the Mason event in DC on March 9, or you can send him an email.

Another option would be a CacheKinz which is trackable through Geocaching.com, and you can make them in any shape or size. The best producer of CacheKinz that I know is Mike at the Cache Addict http://cacheaddict.com/index.php/tracka ... ekinz.html These are also a lot less expensive than a coin.

Hope this helps!
david&theresacache
MGS Member

Post by david&theresacache »

I can't tell you how tickled I am with your replies. I hadn't discovered GXProxy yet, and that looks PROMISING. I also greatly appreciate the recommendation for CH - I may not go that route for this, but I am also keeping these kinds of sites/ideas in my back pocket for making something for work (team morale). I won't make it to the Mason event, but I love knowing he offers the smaller coins! I heard of Cachekinz and was eyeballing a Siamese one I'd found at one point, but this is an awesome site link as well for a resource.
Thank you so much for the responses!!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

I think the posters above are right. A pathtag is nice and a decent price for volume. Individual trackables from GXProxy are also a nice way to go.
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

I currently do not have a personal trackable but I also appreciate to hear where others have gotten theirs. Welcome to the wonderful world of geocaching. Where are you located? How did you get started?