Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

What's Your Average D/T Ratings?

General Chit-Chat.
jpatton
MGS Member

Re: What's Your Average D/T Ratings?

Post by jpatton »

VinceHayter wrote: Is it just me or are challenges perhaps getting a wee bit out of hand?
I agree with that. It seems like people are just trying to out do each other with Challenges the way they were years ago with puzzle caches.

Mine 1.89/1.89 on 2598 caches. About 6 months ago I wondered what it would take to get that up to 2.0/2.0. If I did 100 5/5 caches and nothing else, my number would go up to 1.91/1.91. It would take a long time for me to get to 2.0 on either stat.
Jeff
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

Sue-Cat wrote:
VinceHayter wrote: I'm sad question marks aren't being used for honest to goodness *puzzles* anymore... :cry:
Of course they are, more than ever, take your blinkers off. :-D
Not a bad point, Vince. Why not a separate icon for challenges vs. unknowns? I don't care enough to push it forward to Groundspeak but it makes sense. I'm guessing that less than 5% of my ? cache finds are challenges. Maybe less. I wonder if someone has proposed a separate icon for challenges.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
Serrabou
MGS Member

Post by Serrabou »

VinceHayter wrote:
Is it just me or are challenges perhaps getting a wee bit out of hand? :oops:
You might get a kick out of this tongue-in-cheek challenge cache. :-D
VinceHayter wrote: tl;dr - I'm sad question marks aren't being used for honest to goodness *puzzles* anymore... :cry:
Yeah I think it would be nice to create a separate icon for challenge caches. Not much "unknown" about them.
jfigel
MGS Member

Post by jfigel »

1.83/1.87 - 5706 finds.

I have been trying for years to get my terrain rating up as high as I could get it. I have 97 terrain 5 caches. I am trying to get to 100 for 2013. Will reach maybe in April.

I remember one day I did like 13 4.5 rated terrain caches and it did not raise my average up at all. Averages I guess.

Thanks for the post.

jfigel.
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

jfigel wrote:1.83/1.87 - 5706 finds.

I have been trying for years to get my terrain rating up as high as I could get it. I have 97 terrain 5 caches. I am trying to get to 100 for 2013. Will reach maybe in April.

I remember one day I did like 13 4.5 rated terrain caches and it did not raise my average up at all. Averages I guess.

Thanks for the post.

jfigel.
I had a day like that along the Susquehanna River on the Mason-Dixon Trail "power trail". Wonderful hike that did bring my average up from 1.94 to 1.98 or so, with about 700 finds. With over 5000, it will take a bit more. Wow! 97 terrain 5 caches. That's impressive.
obxgeek
MGS Member

Post by obxgeek »

1.68/1.66 on 1711 caches.

The challenge could get published though I would avoid trying in PA. The reviewers that cover the keystone state tend to have a tighter interpretation of the guidelines.

I do agree that there could be a breakout to add a new cache type so that the challenge caches would have their own type. But then I would like if Puzzles would be broken out into Field solvable vs only the google can save you now. I am sure I miss lots of fun field puzzles just because I don't want to fill my gps with caches I have no chance of finding in the field. Not that I really expect that groundspeak will be inclined to do it anytime soon as it would take some time to get the GPS manufacturers to update their paperless caching code to support new cache types.
ImageImageImage
Corfmania
Former MGS Officer

Post by Corfmania »

1.88 / 1.94 / 1950 finds
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

1.84 / 1.73 over 1051 finds with 9 DT combos left. Unless you are just starting out, you would really have to change your caching style to significantly move your average.
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

littleblkdog wrote:1.84 / 1.73 over 1051 finds with 9 DT combos left. Unless you are just starting out, you would really have to change your caching style to significantly move your average.
I don't know that I agree on a significant change, Eric. I didn't decide on hitting 2 until about 800 finds. But, I think I already was enjoying more challenging terrain caches anyway. I was in the 1.88 area or so when I changed focus. Even at this point (1012), I did a 4/4 and a 5/5 in one day and went from 2.01 to 2.02 terrain average.

You are all right in that it requires a change to your geocaching habits. I definitely forego the easier caches, even for FTFs, unless I happen to be bored at the time (doesn't happen often). For me, I enjoy the physical (and mental) challenges a great deal and don't enjoy the easier ones too much.

Now, if a 1.5/2 happens to be along a hike I'm taking, I will still find it. But, I'll probably be searching for a 3/4 at the end of it.

This is an interesting and fun discussion.
dsquaredd2
MGS Member

Post by dsquaredd2 »

1.79 / 1.63 / 2992 Finds
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

I haven't found many caches this year but my stats have gone up a teeny bit to 2.35/1.94. I'd like to get my terrain above 2.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Sue-Cat wrote:I haven't found many caches this year but my stats have gone up a teeny bit to 2.35/1.94. I'd like to get my terrain above 2.
Impressive! Let me guess; you like puzzles. :D
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

No kidding :P
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
mmacfarland
MGS Member

Post by mmacfarland »

1.76,1.6, 777 finds
Moonpie10
MGS Member

Post by Moonpie10 »

Barb and I are working on a 5/5 power trail that will have 500 5/5 caches in the shape of a giant frownie. We have the containers and we have identified where the trail will be put out. The containers are all going to be pure white plastic (not metal detectors) nanos. First cache will be at -86.5000 170.000 there you will find the coords for the next cache and so one. If the weather is good you should be able to do 250 in a day.
This will defenitatly bring your D/T raiting up a notch or two. I'll let you know when Barb has finished placing the caches. Oh they will all be on the ground.
One can learn something new everyday while geocaching if one isn't carefull.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

:lol: :smt023
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

In 7 months of caching targeting higher terrain (mostly puzzles still), my average terrain rating has gone up from 1.94 to 1.96. Hmmm. So in a couple of years I may reach an average of 2. :neutral: Kinda seems like a long time but I've definitely spent far longer completing other things (some specific cache series come to mind).

My ave diff remains at 2.35...
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

:-D Those that know me know that I've been primarily working on higher D/T stuff. Lots of kayak (T5) work and some puzzles. I'm up to 2.10/2.09 D/T. Still enjoying what I'm doing so it's what "floats my boat". :-D
VinceHayter
MGS Member

Post by VinceHayter »

cacheSking wrote::-D Those that know me know that I've been primarily working on higher D/T stuff. Lots of kayak (T5) work and some puzzles. I'm up to 2.10/2.09 D/T. Still enjoying what I'm doing so it's what "floats my boat". :-D
Oh you... :anxious: :lol:
-remember when QotM used to be a thing? :roll:
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

I've inched up to 2.36/1.97

CacheSking has jumped up to 2.15/2.21 :-)
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team