Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

New mercenary reviewer in town...

General Chit-Chat.
nighthawk700
MGS Member

New mercenary reviewer in town...

Post by nighthawk700 »

I was looking through a few caches that have had N/A on them for a while. Looks like we have a mercenary/roving reviewer helping Dr.MD out. For example: http://coord.info/GC3TXR2 and http://coord.info/GC2EMCK Will be nice to get some of these older, possibly (probably) neglected caches off the board.
mjb007
MGS Member

Re: New mercenary reviewer in town...

Post by mjb007 »

This is great. I've pointed out a few caches to the local reviewer over the years that needed either CO attention or to be archived. They have always been quite responsive, but hopefully this will help clean up the area even more. I feel sorry for the reviewers since I guess the job is more work than many would expect and quite thankless.
MotherWolf
MGS Member

Post by MotherWolf »

Well let me say that DrMD has been an awesome & very reasonable reviewer. I would imagine it is a lot of time consuming work & although Im sure NONE of our folks ever gave any body any grief :whistle: Im sure there are PITA CO out there that have. :lol:

So a HUGE THANK YOU for what you have done for us. MW
briansnat
MGS Member

Post by briansnat »

I'm happy to help DrMD. One of my goals while assisting will be to clean up long neglected caches. If you know of any don't be afraid to log a NA, or send an email to my reviewer account (Lord Stirling).

Happy caching!
Brian
DudleyGrunt
MGS Member

Post by DudleyGrunt »

I've not seen any action from DrMD in nearly 3 weeks. Have I missed any publications or such?

Hopefully, s/he is just getting some well-deserved rest.

First thing I saw from Stirling was his archiving a cache just 3 days after the CO had posted that he was going to be out soon to replace the container.
Happy Trails! :smt006

Image Image Image

We never seek things for themselves—what we seek is the very seeking of things. - Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

briansnat wrote:I'm happy to help DrMD. One of my goals while assisting will be to clean up long neglected caches. If you know of any don't be afraid to log a NA, or send an email to my reviewer account (Lord Stirling).

Happy caching!
Brian
Nice to meet you, Brian. Thanks so much for lending a hand to our favorite Maryland doctor :applause:
Driddy
MGS Member

Post by Driddy »

+1 It is great to see the backlog of NA caches getting resolved.
DudleyGrunt
MGS Member

Post by DudleyGrunt »

The following only constitutes my personal musing and opinion. I don't know anything and am not suggesting any of my speculation is fact.

I'm starting to wonder if Dr.MD will be returning and, if not, whether we'll get a local replacement. I got my first Lord Stirling publication notice on June 30.

Also wondering if this "sabbatical" of the good Doctor may involve some sort of "conflict" / "issue" between Dr.MD and the Frog.

While I've not always the biggest fan of Groundspeak and AM a big proponent of the alternative sites, I definitely appreciate all the work our local reviewers to to make the game (at GC.com) possible. Maryland has been blessed with two great reviewers since I started in 2006 and while they've officially operated under separate "secret" accounts, a lot of the more active / aware cachers know all the non-reviewer work these folks have done to support caching in the area. If the absence of Dr.MD is anything other than a voluntary break (temp or perm), it would be a shame.

I'm also not implying anything negative about Lord Stirling. He's filling in and making sure all the reviewer stuff gets taken care of. IF Dr.MD were to not return, I just think it would be better, in the long run, to have a local reviewer - per standard Groundspeak practice.

Image Image Image

We never seek things for themselves—what we seek is the very seeking of things. - Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

I can't go back and check everything, but I thought I saw a few things from Dr.MD in the past month.

I'd love to be a reviewer, either local or someplace else. I actually thought of contacting Dr.MD at one point and offer to help list caches that looked like they were neglected, but Lord Stirling seems to be taking care of that.

I thought I finally figured out Offline.Cacher's (one of VA Reviewers) identity but when I asked the person, he said it wasn't him. Of course he could have just said that to cover up... ;-)
xanxer82
MGS Member

Post by xanxer82 »

We should have an event to visit neglected caches and repair them. It may help out the reviewers getting flooded.
briansnat
MGS Member

Post by briansnat »

xanxer82 wrote:We should have an event to visit neglected caches and repair them. It may help out the reviewers getting flooded.
My personal opinion is that they should get a NM, or a NA as appropriate. Let the abandoned caches go away to make room for those cachers who will maintain their caches to hide one in the area.

Regards,
Brian (AKA Lord Stirling)
DudleyGrunt
MGS Member

Post by DudleyGrunt »

I tend to agree with briansnat / Lord Stirling when it comes to most caches. It's one thing if you're out in the field and see a cache needs some TLC and are prepared and willing to give it some. I'm not a big fan of the vast majority of caches whose owner have gone MIA being kept alive just to be kept alive. A few particularly historic / significant caches probably deserve this sort of unofficial adoption by the community, but I think it is better to let most make room for new caches.

I just logged an NA on a cache (Repello Muggletum Junction) the other day that hasn't been found since July 4, 2012 with many DNF's and no action from the owner, who has actually not been on the site since May 2012. LS had actually posted a note in June that he was going to archive it but something made him believe the cache was there. IF that was because someone had posted a Found It log, they must have since deleted it, because nothing on the page seems to indicate it is in place.

Image Image Image

cashcounter
MGS Member

Post by cashcounter »

I think there is a new reviewer from FL reviewing caches here. Palmetto?
And jg5387
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

cashcounter wrote:I think there is a new reviewer from FL reviewing caches here. Palmetto?
Might be a Labor Day thing, "trackfile" from Florida also just published a cache. I remember one April Fools Day reviewers were publishing caches from all over the place.
mjb007
MGS Member

Post by mjb007 »

nighthawk700 wrote:
cashcounter wrote:I think there is a new reviewer from FL reviewing caches here. Palmetto?
Might be a Labor Day thing, "trackfile" from Florida also just published a cache. I remember one April Fools Day reviewers were publishing caches from all over the place.
Can you point out one or more that he published in the area? That would be a new reviewer for me for the review's challenge.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

mjb007 wrote: Can you point out one or more that he published in the area? That would be a new reviewer for me for the review's challenge.
Just go to the 'newest in Maryland' list, scroll down past the events and check out the newest hides. Here's one: http://coord.info/GC4MA1A
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
mjb007
MGS Member

Post by mjb007 »

Thanks Sue-cat
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

That's the one I saw as well. And for the other reviewer it was: http://coord.info/GC4K9G5
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

It's not uncommon to get another reviewer to cover for you if you are going to be out for a bit or if the queue gets out of hand :)
-robert
MGS Site Admin, MGS Director, former Officer
Need to change or edit your username? Send me a PM!
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Post by _JohnnyCache »

As long as we don't see Quiggle publishing caches again, then we're all in trouble :hide1 :smt024 :quiggle:
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein