Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Fade and Phase

General Chit-Chat.
VinceHayter
MGS Member

Fade and Phase

Post by VinceHayter »

:smt006 Greetings!

In light of recent things I've read, heardand thought, I thought I would post a question or two here to see what opinion everyone else had (if any).

In short, I've noticed that there seems to be a geocaching 'half-life' for some cachers. That is, there seems to be a certain amount of time that any given cacher will participate in the game before either giving it up completely or 'phasing out' for some period of time before coming back in some capacity. This differs from person to person, but I've noticed that I no longer see (as active*) about half of the people who arguably would have been considered 'regulars' (some of which I'm very sad to see gone :smt010 ) when I started caching just shy of a decade ago. I realize that for some, there are life changes, moving, waves o' babies and various sundry things that can cause this absence from the game to occur, but for others I wonder if there are other factors related to caching specifically that contribute to this leaving.

For me, there were plenty of experiences going on in my personal life during the past few months that have kept me from doing any significant caching (in any manner; hiding, finding or even maintaining). But now, as I slowly scrabble, claw and drag myself back to having a wee bit of discretionary time again, I'm finding I'm just not in the mood to go caching. :? Has anyone else experienced this? If so, was there a specific trigger for your Recachaissance? (If not, I'm assuming you're not reading this.)

tl;dr - I have caching ennui and I don't know why, have you ever felt this way? Can I beat it; should I beat it?

Well, back to lurking... :roll:
-remember when QotM used to be a thing? :roll:
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Re: Fade and Phase

Post by cooley1103 »

For me, I go through waves of peaks and valleys. I guess its because we have too many hobbies to dedicate too much to just one (or maybe I am too ADD).

November will be 4 years of caching for my household and we have seen changes from then until now. So I am sure you could write novels about the changes you have seen.
CacheDetectives
MGS Member

Post by CacheDetectives »

I've been caching for 10 years now and I've been truly blessed to have visited so many wonderful places that were shared by cache hiders. My biggest deterrent to geocaching is all of the driving involved. I often find myself wondering what my next big hobby will be. Sure it is nice to explore new places but driving 2-3 hours before I can start caching has gotten old. I do believe making new friends and finding new ways to challenge myself is what keeps me going. In order to cache, I have learned to camp, to kayak, and to read a topo map and have even learned to enjoy trail running. I have applied mathematics and problem solving skills in ways I never imagined possible. I enjoy traveling and caching is one way to find the best things to see in an area but I have found that my haste to visit as many caches as possible has forced me to miss special educational experiences such as ranger talks or tours. I think we have all felt the way you feel but just about the time I think I need to take a break, somebody will call and say "Let's go!" Keep focusing on all of the positives of caching!
The mountains are calling and I must go.
-John Muir
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

I've noticed the same thing and can't quite figure it out. There are still a lot that are steady as she goes forever. Personally, I've adapted my caching to focusing on certain types of caches. For me, there are two things that get me excited to cache: First, higher terrain and often difficulty where we get together as a group to get one smilie per day. That may be the only one for a couple of weeks or so. I am more than happy to pass by a cache handed to me to sign (right Cooley?) if it's not a challenge for me. I also like to try to grab "lonely" caches that haven't been found for a year or more--which is a good segue to . . . I also like to work on puzzles--and am still working on Gray Eulogy--although I've gotten past frustration with it. Sue's new puzzle is giving me fits as well! When The Radioactive Cache came out I worked on it for weeks.

But, when life gets busy, caching falls down the list of things that need to get done--probably like it should.

I can't explain losing interest in caching--as it hasn't happened to me.

Anyway, VinceHayter--it's good to see you poke your head out again. Feel free to give me more help on Gray Eulogy--although you've already told me a LOT.

--Dave
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
mmacfarland
MGS Member

Post by mmacfarland »

Any correlation to weather? It is hard to interest me in a long hike on an extremely hot humid day. A long detailed search for a nano on a freezing day isn't my idea of fun.

While i have only a couple of years on this activity there is definitely a pattern of finds on my hides that is impacted by weather. (Note for hard core cachers who consistently run up big numbers this observation doesn't hold as well)
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

When I first started caching, the bug didn't bite me that hard, and I actually went about 3 years without a find. Then I started up again, and never let go. There are cycles, mostly related to what's going on in my life. E.g. now that I'm taking a bunch of training and a college class, my caching has slowed considerably (but not stopped). However, my motorcycle riding altered for the worse. I used to put on 10-15,000 miles a year on my bike. Then I got married and it went down to under 10k. Then I had my first kid and it went to under 5k. Now with my third kid, going back to school, doing a lot more caching, etc., the bike has been sitting in the garage, unstarted, for over a year. I really need to get it prepared to sell. At least it would leave more room for the tandem kayak I'd like to get, and for the kids' bikes. More things I can use to hunt caches with them.
WanderingRedneck
MGS Member

Post by WanderingRedneck »

My caching has taken a nose dive the last couple of years. Kids activities have been a real deterrent. While there have been many new caches posted around my area some seem just like they we're put out because there was a place without a cache, which is kind of boring. Also we did our first CAM a couple of years ago and after that I felt really burned out and just didn't have the urge to go. I'm working on teaching my daughters' Girl Scout Junior troop about caching and hopefully that will spark something to get me back out there.
VinceHayter
MGS Member

Post by VinceHayter »

cooley1103 wrote:I guess its because we have too many hobbies to dedicate too much to just one (or maybe I am too ADD)...
So I am sure you could write novels about the changes you have seen.
I can relate to the having too many hobbies (I haven't been golfing for the past 2 YEARS :brick:).

As far was writing novels goes, November is almost here... :wink:

FWIW, Im currently writing this from a conference in State College, PA where there are oodles of short, relatively easy puzzles to wade through. Finding a few yesterday was quite fun. Though I also fully realize that being on my own this week and having the freedom to do that on a whim was a big part of the fun. :anxious: :)
-remember when QotM used to be a thing? :roll:
CacheDetectives
MGS Member

Post by CacheDetectives »

If you are in State College, I highly recommend GCTDVT The Land of Oz and GCWNV4 The Legend of the Seven G.I.s (Night Cache). I did them many, many years ago so I can't vouch for their current quality but they still stand out among my favorites!
The mountains are calling and I must go.
-John Muir
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

I'm sure part of the ennui has to do with having already found most of the "intersting" caches in the area. Sure there are some *new* ones out - but the really GOOD ones are few and far between. There's also the fact that you are a "puzzle buff" and aside from your own incredibly difficult :P puzzles, not many puzzles are put out in our immediate area (So.MD). The ones that are are not much of a challenge for you! I hear that may be changing soon! :smt002 (I think a certain w4otn has something up his sleeve...) But aside from all that IS the busy-ness that comes with 2 small children, jobs, etc! And... on top of that... it's supposed to be FUN. If it seems too much like "work" to go out and do it, then maybe it's just not your "season" for geocaching.

*singing*
To everything (turn turn turn)
There is a season (turn turn turn)
And a time to every purpose
Under heaven...

Did miss you at the Summer Equinox event... was hoping to chew your ear about a puzzle or two! :whistle: :lol:
MotherWolf
MGS Member

Post by MotherWolf »

I think there are several reasons.....of which you have experienced. The change in family status, which certainly rules much of the rest. The change in priorities, the lackluster interest that was there before, fed by the change in that original circle of caching friends, who may very well be going through some of the same changes. Sometimes its just a bit of burnout.

There are more & more of the original group missing from current events at each event. There are more & more new folks at each event, which is awesome though it seems a little more difficult to make friends as easily or maybe it just takes a bit more energy. Im not sure.

I have a new grand baby (he is 27 months old) & I know that when I have the chance to break away he is my 1st choice. I have taken him out a little with me caching but even that is down the list of priorities because we have other things to do (mostly planned by his parents) like swim class, or jungle tumble class, or studies time (yes we do something educational every time we are together). We do nature hikes & so some caching as well as park time for socialization.

So my friend I dont think you are alone with this dilemma...the 1 very cool thing I have found though is this....Even though I may fade away some & be less pumped about caching every minute, when I do go I enjoy myself & I remember that I have a friend in caching that will always be there. So cheer up. Consider it all just growing pains............ :smt006
hostanut
MGS Member

Post by hostanut »

My slowdown was when I first started......I only found 8 caches in 2001 and also went 116 days in a row without a find. Granted there were ALOT less caches back then.....I actually did BOTH of the caches in my county the first day I cached. I was also into hostas.....growing, traveling the Us going to Hosta Meetings and Conventions.

I went months before hiding my first cache because I did know if I wanted the responsibility of maintaining a cache. Likewise, it was a year before I would take a trackable because I did NOT want the responsibility of moving it on within a certain time frame.

I still don't get to go caching as much as I like.....I don't know how I did anything when I worked full-time.

I know others have mentioned that there may be a lack of quality caches left to do.....I understand that....but that is another topic.

Caching is important to me but there are other things that do take precedence at times.....my grand-daughter for one....even though she also enjoys caching.

NOT caching because of a lack of desire is one thing.
Limited caching because of other priorities is another thing.
Not making time to cache if you really want to....is a shame!!!
MotherWolf
MGS Member

Post by MotherWolf »

hostanut wrote:NOT caching because of a lack of desire is one thing.
Limited caching because of other priorities is another thing.
Not making time to cache if you really want to....is a shame!!!
This is great & so spot on. :applause: