Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Geocaching in Space - Special Announcement

General Chit-Chat.
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

From the desk of Eric Schudiske

Geocaching HQ will be partnering with Mastracchio to help further his educational mission and our mission to inspire everyday explorers to experience the world around them. To that end, Geocaching HQ will encourage geocachers around the world to join the excitement by hosting events on Nov 6th to watch the launch, and follow Mastracchhio's adventure. When Mastracchio arrives at the ISS, he'll also be logging the universe's most elusive FTF. The ISS geocache has never been logged in person.

We'll be announcing the initiative in our Weekly Newsletter on October 7, delivered to 3 million geocachers. We'll also support the space mission with the weight of our extensive social media presence.

Feel free to begin to spread the word about Geocaching's return to space through your social networks. Rick will be using the TB page as a way to communicate with elementary school students in his home state of Connecticut.

Here's how to find additional information.
Follow Rick on Twitter: http://twitter.com/AstroRM
Rick's Travel Bug page: [url]http://www.geocachin...tracker=TB5JJN1[/url]
Rick's bio: http://t.co/PKHuuGVhw6
OhMelli
MGS Member

Re: Geocaching in Space - Special Announcement

Post by OhMelli »

Oh My GOSH!!! This is the most exciting thing EVER! I can not believe someone is going to FIND that cache!!! WOW! Amazing.... :dance: :dance: :dance:
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

Oh DARN! The travel-bug link is broken... :(
... the GC code for that cache is GC1BE91 ! :D
MotherWolf
MGS Member

Post by MotherWolf »

OK so Ill be watching this to see if anyone in the area will be having a Space Event. Ive been waiting for this to come out. I sometimes wondered if I would still be around when someone actually found Richards TB on the ISS. Still waiting to see if anyone discovers the other 1 in the Rainbow Thermals. Now at least there will be a legit log for the ISS TB. I wonder if Rick will take it to move it along to the NASA NEEMO undersea lab before it goes back to Tx. :dance:
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

So far the only space event I've seen is this: http://coord.info/GC4PWAN but it's a bit far. Any of you NASA guys having any events? (although since you're still furloughed, this may be a really tough time :-( ) Anyone have events in the work or queued for review? (several times there have been flash mob type events in Annapolis Junction) Otherwise I'll try to get something pulled together quickly.
MotherWolf
MGS Member

Post by MotherWolf »

Hey folks it looks like morningmom is putting together a get together for TB In Space event Nov 6th at 7pm. The kicker is it is over on the Eastern Shore between Chestertown & Church Hill. Im trying to get more info but for now here is the note she sent to me.

Hey there, my geocaching friends! I would like to invite you to the TRAVEL BUG IN SPACE Event on Wednesday, Nov 6 at 7:00 pm, Momma Nona's restaurant on Rt 213S between Chestertown and Church Hill, Maryland. Come have a late supper or dessert (everyone is responsible for their own tab) and meet other area cachers, swap caching tales, and participate in the celebration of U.S. Astronaut Rick Mastracchio's mission to the International Space Station, where he will take a geocaching travel bug to teach students on earth about geography and space. Geocaching.com is awarding a "souvenir" to anyone attending an event during the launch date. Visit A Travel Bug in Space (GC4PX5C) at www.geocaching.com for more info.

Morningmom (aka Pat Bjorke)
MotherWolf
MGS Member

Post by MotherWolf »

UPDATE on my above post.....

The GC for the TB into SPACE Event on the Shore is GC4PX5C not to be confused with GC4GX0T which ATT is still showing the Bubble at the same location for that event which was in Aug. If you just go to the map you will only see 1 event bubble UNLESS you zoom all the way in.

:dance: :dance:
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! GC4PX5C is for TB into SPACE EVENT on the EASTERN SHORE between Chestertown & Church Hill on Rt 213, Nov 6, 2013 at 1900hrs. :dance: :dance:
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Post by _JohnnyCache »

I currently see 5 events in the state right now on the event calendar http://www.mdgps.org
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein
akindofmagick
MGS Member

Post by akindofmagick »

I'm a newbie here, but would love to attend a flashmob event at NASA Goddard or NSA Spy Museum or even Joe's in Annapolis Junction... or ice cream in Laurel!

Sheri / akindofmagick
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

An event was just submitted for Columbia
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

Sir Crab is quick

Come on out to Columbia for A toast to Mastracchio

Where: Frisco Taphouse and Brewery (http://www.friscogrille.com)
Date: Wednesday, November 6th
Time: 7:00 - 8:00 pm