Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

The Doctor Is Out CINMAR South Mountain, PA

General Chit-Chat.
Moonpie10
MGS Member

The Doctor Is Out CINMAR South Mountain, PA

Post by Moonpie10 »

NMNH GeoTour is working on a Doctor is out event which is not published as yet GC4M3B8.

This event is under construction – permission has been granted but formal notification is has yet to arrive.

When – November 16th, 2013 11:00am – 2:00pm
Where – South Mountain N 39° 50.367 W 077° 26.100

Why – Dr. Dennis Stanford, Anthropology, National Museum of Natural History will talk and answer questions about the CINMAR Knife Blade: GC3RRWA CINMAR South Mountain: Smithsonian NMNH GeoTour
Dr. William Melson, Mineral Sciences, National Museum of Natural History will talk and answer questions about the geology of the South Mountain area and the material out of which the CINMAR knife blade was fashioned.
Possible – a ranger from the Michaux State Forest will discuss and answer question about the rattlesnake study on going in areas of the forest.
There will be a short field trip from the event site to two or three roadcut to look at the rocks on the way to the find GC3RRWA (for those who have not completed that cache).

This event is probably outside the general notification area for many cachers in MGS but as the associated cache is part of the NMNH GeoTour we are posting this in the forums to allow you to mark the date. I will update this announcement when the cache is published.

NMNH GeoTour
Snurt
MGS Director

Re: The Doctor Is Out CINMAR South Mountain, PA

Post by Snurt »

Calendar is marked. However, I'm not getting very far 'googling' CINMAR knife blade. I'm guessing it is a reference to the spine of South Mountain and its geologic ancestry. I know General Lee could have gotten out of Dodge must quicker had the blade not been present.
Moonpie10
MGS Member

Post by Moonpie10 »

Snurt wrote:Calendar is marked. However, I'm not getting very far 'googling' CINMAR knife blade. I'm guessing it is a reference to the spine of South Mountain and its geologic ancestry. I know General Lee could have gotten out of Dodge must quicker had the blade not been present.
This should provide some information GC3RRWA.
Moonpie10
MGS Member

Post by Moonpie10 »

This event is now published. :smt026 :smt026 The furlough :doh: should be over and forgotten :D :D
GC4M3B8
Come join us.
One can learn something new everyday while geocaching if one isn't carefull.