Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Maryland Historical Society Geocaches

General Chit-Chat.
SBR9000
MGS Member

Maryland Historical Society Geocaches

Post by SBR9000 »

Greetings fellow Geocachers,

I work at the Maryland Historical Society and am looking into starting a new series of geocaches in and around the Baltimore area that focus on historic events and locations. As a geocacher myself I always find historical sites interesting geocaching locations. I think this is a great opportunity to expose a new batch of people to geocaching. The museum is a awesome wealth of Maryland history and also home to an extensive library where people from all over the world and country come to do research. We have a membership of several thousand and over 33,000 followers on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter. A partnership with us could bring many new potential members to the MGS and geocaching.

As a non-profit organization that is funded solely by membership and admission, the museum does not have a large budget that we can play with to make this happen, but I believe it is still possible if we can find enough support/assistance.

In addition to the actual geocaches, we would have a passport that people could download from our website that they would use to document their visits to the geocaches. Each cache would have a unique code that would be logged in the passport. After finding so many caches, the cacher would gain free admittance to our museum, a geocoin, and potentially other giveaways like a book from our giftshop.

In starting this project, I am looking for a few different things:

1) Local business owners that are geocaching friendly who'd be willing to either donate material for cache construction or funds to assist in the assembly of the geocaches.

2) People who live in the area who would be willing to help identify locations and assist with the placement of the caches. We would assemble them here at the museum and invite those assisting in placement to come visit, tour the museum for free, and pick up the cache for placement.

3) We need some financial assistance in securing the geocoins. I am willing to talk to any local business owners or anyone at all who may be able to help in raising a few hundred dollars for this purpose. In tying to keep cots low, I do not believe we can purchase travel bugs, but I we can secure the codes we need and have wooden nickels created that would act as a trackable prize.

4) Anyone else who has ideas, suggestions, thoughts...you can contact me at srubin@mdhs.org.

I look forward to the comments and hope that this can work. This would be great for both organizations and a great way to build some quality geocahces in the area that would last a good while.

Please let mew know if you are interested in assisting and have any thoughts on how we may be able to get this going!
SBR9000
MGS Member

Re: Maryland Historical Society Geocaches

Post by SBR9000 »

People have been emailing me...thank you. Don't be shy to leave a message here too!
CivilRightsCacher
MGS Member

Post by CivilRightsCacher »

If you need someone to help place a cache in the Silver Spring/Rockville/Olney and surrounding areas, please let me know. I'd be happy to help however I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maggieb
MGS Member

Post by maggieb »

Thank you for organizing this! Sounds very exciting.