Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

R.I.P. wizardofmd69

General Chit-Chat.
Alzarius
MGS Director

R.I.P. wizardofmd69

Post by Alzarius »

It is with great shock and sadness we report the passing of Tony Hinton, forever known to Maryland geocachers as the legendary wizardofmd69. Tony was one of the most colorful characters in the game with a big heart and a generous spirit. Geocaching was a major part of his life, and his presence here in the Maryland geocaching scene will be sorely missed and fondly remembered. Our hearts go out to his friends and family – especially his wife, Suzanne – in this time of grief.

Please use this thread to share your thoughts and memories of Wizard.
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer
It’s my birthday

Re: R.I.P. wizardofmd69

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

OMG!!! I just wrote to Tony last night when I saw that someone was selling one of his PathTags on eBay. What a legend here in Maryland and across the entire country. I am deeply saddened. Please keep us apprised of any funeral arrangements.
Al Woltz (AKA: FatBaldOldMan or FBOM)
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

Tony always seemed to pop up out of nowhere at events we attended, and always with a cheerful hearty "How 'ya doing?" and that signature handshake/half-hug. This was always true when we were attending an MGS event here in Maryland, but was just as likely if we were at an event in Georgia or Massachusetts. He was as one of the most passionate cachers I have met, and quite often had newbies in tow, showing them the ropes. I am sure that Tony will be sorely missed by the entire community in ways I can't even begin to imagine. I know I'll miss those hugs and that grin!

Suzanne, our heart goes out to you, Tony was a larger-than-life kind of guy, know that he will be truly missed.
KennedyCachers
MGS Member

Post by KennedyCachers »

I don't even know what to say. We first met Tony and Suzanne when we were brand new to the game back in 2013. We had heard about FTFs and decided to try and grab one. As we pulled up we realized we were too late as someone already had the container in hand. We jump out of the car and found out that we were finally meeting the legendary Wizard and Suzanne that we had heard so much about. We chatted for quite a while and they both made us feel so welcome in our new family hobby. They even shared the FTF with us. That made my son's (and our) day.

After that, we decided to start attending events. We almost always ran into our new friends and Tony was always so welcoming and friendly. Our son always looked forward to his magic coin tricks. We always looked forward to his big hug and huge smile. We are going to miss you.

Suzanne, I wish I could say anything that could ease your pain. Tony's family and you will be in our thoughts.
Msmit002
MGS Member

Post by Msmit002 »

When I heard the news from FuzzyDave this morning, I didn't want to believe it. I'm still sitting in my office here at the lab wondering how I am going to tell my son Conor (Lax Cheezit.) It's going to hurt.

For those that don't really know Conor well, he is an amazing judge of character. He really has no room for BS and if he doesn't like you, he's polite about it, but he won't hang out with you. Anyway, from the first time Conor met Tony at an event, he liked and respected him an awful lot. We don't get to too many events these day but when we do, he always asks me if Wizard and Suzanne put in a 'Will Attend' log.

I'll never forget the first time I met Tony face-to-face. I recognized him and walked up to him to introduce myself. I asked if he was, indeed, Wizard and he answered back, "Why? Are you a cop?" :lol: I found it amusing. So did Conor.

Certainly, Conor and I didn't know Tony well. But he was a legend and if you met him even once, you never forgot him. Tony's passing is a tremendous loss to our community and to Geocaching

Godspeed...
Dadtwins
MGS Member

Post by Dadtwins »

Here is a news article about the shocking loss of Wizard.
https://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/News/ ... ashinessex
Dadtwins
MGS Member

Post by Dadtwins »

We are all shocked and saddened by the news of Wizard.... he will be forever missed.

Suzanne, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...

For others, who may just be finding out, Here is an article about what happened:
https://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/News/ ... ashinessex
MotherWolf
MGS Member

Post by MotherWolf »

OMG! I cant believe what I just read. Suzanne I am so sorry. I dont know what to say. I loved him. From the moment I 1st met you both Tony wrapped his arms around me & hug me. When ever we saw each other I always knew I would get a big hug. You were both such a joy in my life. I had a number of chats with Tony about where he came from & where is was now. How much he had changed after meeting you & falling in love with you. I just cant imagine him not being around. I know Im up here in Pa & not close but if there is anything I can do please dont hesitate to ask. My prayers are with you my friend.
humphr1d
Former MGS Officer

Post by humphr1d »

Oh my gosh! I am at a loss for words and am struggling to believe this. Suzanne, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

Just got word of this sad news. First time I met him was at the Holiday Swap event. I'll never forget that. Both he and Suzanne became great friends and I've spent a lot of time caching with him. He was a lot of fun and very helpful. I'm going to miss him. Prayers and thoughts going his way, to Suzanne and the rest of his family.
Team Gilligan MD
MGS Member

Post by Team Gilligan MD »

We are so deeply saddned to hear of the accident. Suzanne, you and your families are in our prayers. While we hadn't seen you guys in quite some time you and Tony often come up in fond conversation while we would be caching. Jules still has the chunk of pyrite you gave her years ago! Praying for comfort and peace. Chris (Dad Gilligan)
DizneyDad
MGS Member

Post by DizneyDad »

I found out last night via a friend in the fire department. I didn't even know how to break the news to my wife (GirlWizard). Tony was an amazing man. As I've seen others say that half handshake half hug was always sincere like his smile. You will be truly missed Wizard. Rest easy.
horselovernikki
MGS Member

Post by horselovernikki »

Hksfarm and I have known Tony and Suzanne for a very long time. We all joined the geocaching world and mgs around the same time. I remember those late nights we all ran out the same time for a FTF. Usually Wizard would win. We use to go camping together at the MGS events and cached together almost on a daily basis. We went all the way to North Carolina as team fun. He was a great person. He always made you laugh. Was always their for you when you needed him. I know I speak for everyone when I say that he will be greatly missed.
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

Oh my gosh... I'm so sad. I just got the news and can't even believe it's real. Suzanne, I am so sorry! I will surely be keeping you and your family in my prayers. Tony was a really good man... :(
lifehacksss
MGS Member

Post by lifehacksss »

Georick402 wrote:Just got word of this sad news. First time I met him was at the Holiday Swap event. I'll never forget that. Both he and Suzanne became great friends and I've spent a lot of time caching with him. He was a lot of fun and very helpful. I'm going to miss him. Prayers and thoughts going his way, to Suzanne and the rest of his family.
Hey GeoRick. Attached is a photo of us with wizard while attending a CITO event.
Attachments
f545724e-ed97-4616-aad3-bc6c24947de4.jpg
dixiegurl827
MGS Member

Post by dixiegurl827 »

I have made arrangement for the funeral.

Evans Funeral Chapel
8800 Harford Road
Parkville, MD 21234

Viewing:
Tuesday 10/3/17: 3-5 pm and 7-9 pm
Wednesday 10/4/17 Service and Burial 11 am at Evans Funeral chapel, burial to follow at Oak Lawn Cemetery, Eastern Avenue

Wizard would love for everyone to be there. He loved geocaching, and died on his way to a FTF.
I miss him more than words can ever express. And if I forget to tell anyone, I love you.

Hope to see you there!
Suzanne :smt022
WJ family
MGS Member

Post by WJ family »

We're so sorry to hear...our thoughts are with you Suzanne...
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

I don't remember the first time I met Wizard, but I do remember a caching trip in particular where I got to know his character. It was a Black Friday trip to a park in PA where there are some particularly old and varied D/T combos. At one stop we were all climbing on the rocks to find a cache. After it had been found and the log signed with our team name everyone took off to the next cache, but not Tony. He waited he held out his hand to help me off of the rocks and watched that the children in our group were not left behind.

Another time he rode in the bed of the pick up when they picked me up from a local trip and drove me back to my car on a warm day. Or the time at the event where... and the time at Geowoodstock when...

I'm sure we all have the same type of memories.

Suzanne, our condolences are with you. Wizard was a special man and no one knows that more than you.

Dawn & George
Run Amok
MGS Member

Post by Run Amok »

This is such terrible news. Wizard was such a kind soul and he will be missed by all of us in the caching community. Suzanne - my heart breaks for you, you are in my thoughts.

Peggy
ZippyFinn
MGS Member

Post by ZippyFinn »

Peace, Suzanne.

Much love to you,
Angela / ZF