Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Those excuses for DNFs are going to get harder!

Discuss GPS Hardware, Technical Issues, etc. here.
zekester
MGS Member

Those excuses for DNFs are going to get harder!

Post by zekester »

Broadcomm is getting ready to mass market a GPS chip that will drive GPS accuracy in mobile phones from the current 5 meter accuracy spec down to 30 centimeters. For those of you metrically challenged, that is an accuracy of just over 11 inches. Expect deployment in some phone models coming out in 2018. More details can be found here:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/sem ... es-in-2018

There always comes a point at which you just have to put the GPSr/phone down and look around and ask yourself, "ok, where would I hide it?" We may be getting to the technical threshold where you may bump into the hide before you do that!
barbershop2010
MGS Member

Re: Those excuses for DNFs are going to get harder!

Post by barbershop2010 »

It will also help some of the hiders too. Sometimes I think the coordinates are a suggestion, not the actual location. If the coordinates are way off for the hider and the searcher you can be running in circles for hours.
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

[quote=If the coordinates are way off for the hider and the searcher you can be running in circles for hours.[/quote]

Hiders - Google map is your friend if you can locate the actual hide location.

(This would have really helped some recent hides that were way off from the posted GZ)
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

While the georegistration of the photogrammetry in Google Earth is generally pretty accurate, I have seen some cases where is has been off significantly as well. That being said, this seems to be getting rarer.
portlywalker
MGS Member

Post by portlywalker »

zekester wrote:Broadcomm is getting ready to mass market a GPS chip that will drive GPS accuracy in mobile phones from the current 5 meter accuracy spec down to 30 centimeters. For those of you metrically challenged, that is an accuracy of just over 11 inches. Expect deployment in some phone models coming out in 2018. More details can be found here:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/sem ... es-in-2018

There always comes a point at which you just have to put the GPSr/phone down and look around and ask yourself, "ok, where would I hide it?" We may be getting to the technical threshold where you may bump into the hide before you do that!
It is the old "precision" versus accuracy thing. Some of us will be more precisely wrong. A DNF of mine Bridge over Troubled Waters has the signal GZ moving fifty feet moment to moment. Looking for the L5 to help with that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk