Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

gsak database

Discuss GPS Hardware, Technical Issues, etc. here.
mmacfarland
MGS Member

gsak database

Post by mmacfarland »

What do you do to maintain your gsak database?

I periodically travel and as I plan a trips I load gsak with all the caches in the area. I have been sorting by last gpx and updating the oldest sets. As my database grows I wondering how others manage their gsak database of caches they have not yet found. Currently my GSAK database has 100K caches in it.
Corfmania
Former MGS Officer

Re: gsak database

Post by Corfmania »

I keep a separate database of un solved interesting or in-progress puzzles, but my main one gets wiped and repopulated by pocket queries as needed. I hate database bloat and stale data.
mjb007
MGS Member

Post by mjb007 »

I have a slightly different approach.

I have a local database where I load caches from MD/DC/VA/PA\WV. It has probably 7-8K of caches. I'll periodically load a my finds query and then delete them to clean out found stuff. I'll also periodically sort by last GPX update and use the refresh cache data option under the geocaching.com access option to make sure they are still active.

Lots of cool stuff under the geocaching.com option.

Vacation caches go into a separate database and that gets wiped out each time.

As for puzzles started/solved, I keep much of that information in bookmark lists. That way I can get it from where ever. You never can tell where you will be when you get a PAF, or want to remember how you solved a Sue Cat /Hixon/Gabby/Serrabou/insert your favorite tough puzzle CO here.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

I keep several databases: a default, a found and a placed. I also have a master database of rare caches such as older caches, Cache Across America, webcams, virtuals and such that I sort geographically and then re-import into a bookmark list and turn into a gc.com PQ. I then use that pq to load my GPSr and update back into GSAK so that the logs are fresh when I use GSAK to log. I know I can use GSAK to load my GPS but I just prefer the PQ method.

For the default db, I have a master of 1000 caches for my local area that I run once a week and import.

My default db has about 27000 which I think is to big to maintain and the data will get stale but I try to manage that by sorting and doing a status check and down loading logs periodically when I think something needs to be updated. My default also has all the found caches in it from using GSAK to log.

I think I use the geocaching.com option menu more than any other. The next most popular menu is the macro menu.
sallysomd
MGS Member

Post by sallysomd »

I'm a simple Gsak user. I keep a master database of my 3 local counties. I update them once a week with PQs that run once a week. Before I go on a local cache run, I sort out which ones I want then run a refresh on the sort. I keep sep databases for trips. I used to keep diff databases for diff things like puzzles, but it's just as easy to sort out what I need from the master list.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

After going to one of rufnredy's gsak classes we learned to keep our databases relatively (about a thousand or less) small so that they are easier to keep fresh. We filter out unavailable and archived caches before updating using the geocaching access function in gsak. There is a limit to how many caches you can update daily through gc access. Smaller databases make it easier to keep the caches we have loaded fresh. We create new db's when we are traveling which we eliminate when we get home.