Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Pocket Query Pattern

Discuss GPS Hardware, Technical Issues, etc. here.
PhoenixFyre76
MGS Member

Pocket Query Pattern

Post by PhoenixFyre76 »

Does anyone have a Pattern they set Pocket Queries for Maryland that covers most, if not all, of the state for Traditional (or other) caches?

With the 1000 per query limit, I'm trying to figure out what key areas to set as Origin and what Diameter to cover as much area a possible to keep and up-to-date list of caches.
lpyankeefan
MGS Officer

Re: Pocket Query Pattern

Post by lpyankeefan »

I used to think that geographical area was the way to go (and usually still do) BUT I've also found that searching by date placed is a good idea. If you use this method seven or eight pocket queries will cover the state and it'll also be easier to run queries that have known parameters.

There was a thread around here somewhere that had the specific dates. Linky anyone?!?
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
lpyankeefan
MGS Officer

Post by lpyankeefan »

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
PhoenixFyre76
MGS Member

Post by PhoenixFyre76 »

Awesome. that looks like a great way to start. looks like I have some work ahead. Thanks.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

You can also GSAK. GSAK will let you download 6000 caches a day (or 10000 of the lite version) which is 1000 more than through pocket queries. You can fully customize your download criteria much like a GC pocket query to chose the type, etc that you want.
sallysomd
MGS Member

Post by sallysomd »

This may not be the easiest way to do it but it works for us. I first made a GSAK master database of my local three counties, Charles, St. Mary's and Calvert. You could build one for all of Md. Then I run PQs every week, which gets only the caches placed within the last week. I picked a geographical center of each county and made the radius enough to capture the entire county. Then I load the PQs into GSAK and I always have the most current listing of all my local caches. When we want to go out for a caching day, I can either sort by miles and direction in GSAK, or use the polygon tool to pick the area we want to go to. Then I refresh the cache data or the caches in that subset and we are ready to go. I hope this gives you some ideas.