Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Can't decide between a few choices. Any recommendations?

Discuss GPS Hardware, Technical Issues, etc. here.
TheLoneBaker
MGS Member

Can't decide between a few choices. Any recommendations?

Post by TheLoneBaker »

I've narrowed down my possible options to the Oregon 550t, oregon 600, etrex 30, or GPSMAP 62sc. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about any of these? Any issues that they tend to have? And does the fact that amazon has the 550t for $187 off mean anything negative about that particular model?
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Re: Can't decide between a few choices. Any recommendations

Post by nighthawk700 »

REI is having a sale as well (the 450T I think). I don't think a sale is anything bad about the product. Since they now have the Oregon 600 series coming out, sometimes they reduce the prices of existing inventory to move it out of the way of the new stuff.

I have the 450 and like it. I'm tempted to get the 650, but really don't NEED it so can't justify it right now. :-)

One thing I would say, you don't need to shell out the extra bucks to get the "T" models (includes topographical maps). In most cases, you can get better (finer detail, 25k vs. 100k) topographical maps for free at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ A little more work to load, but if you don't have the $100 or so extra it usually is, why burn it?
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

I really like my GPSMap 62s (the main difference between that and the 62sc is the camera). It fits great in my hand, has proven to have pretty good reception, is good on the battery life, has good screen resolution and is generally easy to use. I have thought about buying a newer one to get the camera built in but haven't made the move yet because the camera is nice but not a must.

I can't say enough good stuff about the 62s. I really like it. I have used other models for a minute or two with other cachers and prefer the 62s. The touch screen is nice but I worry about that wearing out. I have worn some of the paint of my 62s buttons but everything still works great. I taken it swimming more than a few times. I have never had an issue that rebooting wouldn't fix.

If cost is the main factor I think the REI sale on the 450t is pretty good. I have never heard a cacher say anything bad about it.

For me the best way to make a decision is to go in a store and try both of them out. I really like the interface on the 62. I would really want to play with the touch screen on a 450.
lpyankeefan
MGS Officer

Post by lpyankeefan »

I don't have the Oregon 550t BUT I do have the 450t and can't say enough good things about it. Touch screen everything and very user friendly.

As has been said they're probably either offering a GREAT deal for Memorial Day or clearancing the stuff.
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
TheLoneBaker
MGS Member

Post by TheLoneBaker »

Thanks for all the feedback. It was greatly appreciated. I've gone ahead and decided on the 550T.
rstickle
MGS Member

Post by rstickle »

Thinking of stepping up to an Oregon 600 from my old 60CSx. Are there any known show stoppers with the 600?