Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Geocaching App iPhone to Android

Discuss GPS Hardware, Technical Issues, etc. here.
jfigel
MGS Member

Geocaching App iPhone to Android

Post by jfigel »

I am in the process of switching from an iPhone to an Android based phone. I have the Geocaching App installed on the iPhone. Do I have to purchase the app again in Android? I already purchased the app 2x one for my iTouch and again for my iPhone. I should not have to purchase it again a third time. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Re: Geocaching App iPhone to Android

Post by cooley1103 »

When I switch from my I-phone 3gs to Droid, I had to purchase a new copy of the GC app from the Google Store.
storycachers
MGS Member

Post by storycachers »

Although it isn't the "official" app, c:geo is an app for Android that I run on my Samsung Galaxy and it works quite well w/ geocaching.com. Now, when I go out caching, I never bother pulling PQs from the site to load onto my Garmin. I just take my phone w/ c:geo to get me close and then key the coords into the Garmin if I need extra precision. Best of all, c:geo is FREE in the Android marketplace.
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

If you are a premium member, CacheSense is an excellent app, and a lower cost than the Groundspeak app. There is a free 30 day trial version of it as well.

I don't know how the iStore works, but if you buy an app on Google Play, you can then use it on any of your Android devices. (that support the app).
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

storycachers wrote:Although it isn't the "official" app, c:geo is an app for Android that I run on my Samsung Galaxy and it works quite well w/ geocaching.com. Now, when I go out caching, I never bother pulling PQs from the site to load onto my Garmin. I just take my phone w/ c:geo to get me close and then key the coords into the Garmin if I need extra precision. Best of all, c:geo is FREE in the Android marketplace.
Can you log directly from c:geo? I know there was a time when it was having some issues.
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

While it doesn't completely answer your question, you shouldn't have to purchase the app twice for an iPod touch and iPhone if they both use the same Apple ID. I have the same apps on 6 devices and didn't have to repurchase any.
-robert
MGS Site Admin, MGS Director, former Officer
Need to change or edit your username? Send me a PM!
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
Corfmania
Former MGS Officer

Post by Corfmania »

They are separate apps entirely and purchased separately.
vpdj
MGS Member

Post by vpdj »

nighthawk700 wrote:If you are a premium member, CacheSense is an excellent app, and a lower cost than the Groundspeak app. There is a free 30 day trial version of it as well.

I don't know how the iStore works, but if you buy an app on Google Play, you can then use it on any of your Android devices. (that support the app).

I love the CacheSense app - it works great - anywhere you have cell service you can see the caches and even satellite maps - it puts the Puzzle solutions on the map in the right place with a "? plus lock" icon. Have not had to use my old GPS much anymore - and no "loading the GPS" via downloads or GSAK - just go out and pick out the nearby caches - complete with all of the logs and a nice visual summary of recent activity - Find/DNFs/etc - when you click on a cache. It works great.
storycachers
MGS Member

Post by storycachers »

cooley1103 wrote:
storycachers wrote:Although it isn't the "official" app, c:geo is an app for Android that I run on my Samsung Galaxy and it works quite well w/ geocaching.com. Now, when I go out caching, I never bother pulling PQs from the site to load onto my Garmin. I just take my phone w/ c:geo to get me close and then key the coords into the Garmin if I need extra precision. Best of all, c:geo is FREE in the Android marketplace.
Can you log directly from c:geo? I know there was a time when it was having some issues.
Yes, c:geo supports direct logging and also allows you to have travel bugs 'visit' all the caches you do. It works quite well. About the only "flaw" I've found is that if I DNF a cache, it still marks my trek tag as having visited it -- but no biggie there, I just have to fix that occasionally from home.
obxgeek
MGS Member

Post by obxgeek »

I will toss in my support for CacheSense. It is a solid program and well worth the price. I also like that it has munzee integration so it can live query the servers and if you enter your username it will allow you to filter out owned/hidden. It is a cool extra feature when you want to "do it all" especially in a new location. It doesn't cap in the app but it will jump over to the munzee app on your phone to do the real capping.

I used c:geo for almost the first year of caching before I got a dedicated GPSr but as they don't use the API but rather scrape the site the app breaks for a few hours to days each time groundspeak does a site update. Sometimes the breaking is minor and just won't show some data to other times when the c:geo just wouldn't open. I eventually gave up on it in favor of an API connected app. There was also the worry that at some point groundspeak would really decide to enforce the anti-scraping policy and terminate accounts. As they haven't done it in the past ~4 years it is probably safe but for the few bucks and the munzee support cachesense was a better option...
ImageImageImage