Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Free Android and/or iOS apps that can handle .gpx files

Discuss GPS Hardware, Technical Issues, etc. here.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Free Android and/or iOS apps that can handle .gpx files

Post by littleblkdog »

Any ideas?
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Re: Free Android and/or iOS apps that can handle .gpx files

Post by _JohnnyCache »

Only for Android c:geo
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

Android - GPX Viewer
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

I forgot about Geooh live
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Lostsole68 wrote:I forgot about Geooh live
Yes, I head a really good episode on Geocache Talk about Geooh Live! It sounds really good. Almost good enough to want to get an Android phone to try it out. But I am sticking with my iOS and Cachly.

Nobody has mentioned any free apps for iOS which is kind of a bummer. I don't think $4.99 is to much but for newbies it can seem like alot.
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer
It’s my birthday

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

Yes. Apple makes you pay for just about everything.
Al Woltz (AKA: FatBaldOldMan or FBOM)
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

Have you looked at Looking4cache? It advertises support for GPX files, and there's a free (lite) version.

https://www.looking4cache.com/

According to the web page, the free version supports syncing the GPX files to the app via iTunes, while the paid version can also import from email, Dropbox, and possibly others.

Disclaimer: I've never used this app, so can't vouch for how well it works.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

lpaulriddle wrote:Have you looked at Looking4cache? It advertises support for GPX files, and there's a free (lite) version.

https://www.looking4cache.com/

According to the web page, the free version supports syncing the GPX files to the app via iTunes, while the paid version can also import from email, Dropbox, and possibly others.

Disclaimer: I've never used this app, so can't vouch for how well it works.

Thanks Paul! I will check that one out.

Phil
zumbido
MGS Member

Post by zumbido »

I use Looking4Cache as my primary caching app on my iPhone and I love it! I use the pay version, so I don't remember which features are limited to just the Lite version of the app, but it can handle GPX files downloaded directly from pocket queries on GC,com, Google Drives, or even downloaded from sites like ProjectGC. It's pretty versatile in that way.
bloodycool
MGS Member

Post by bloodycool »

It's not free, but Cachly for iOS is an amazing app. It can open GPX files that are emailed, texted, or airdropped to you, it can create GPX files for any set of caches you have in it, on screen or in a list. It has access to all your lists on the Geocaching website and you can make all sorts of offline lists. It has a ton of other features too long to list here.
It's the best $4.99 I have spent on anything geocaching related.
portlywalker
MGS Member

Post by portlywalker »

C:geo has worked well with Android. It is how I can work the files for CAM.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Dradicus
MGS Member

Post by Dradicus »

So are you looking for a way to open the use the GPX files just in an app or are you open to loading them from your phone directly to a handheld device? I have this nifty little portable modem that’s no bigger than my iPhone and I can plug my GPS units into it and wirelessly (almost) send the GPX files to the gps via a local wireless network. The app is free and I can move a lot more than just the GPX files but that’s all I use it for. It also can charge my phone in a pinch. It’s come in super handy while on trips being able to create the gpx files on the fly and downloading it to the GPS. just some food for thought. Works great for CAM by the way ;)
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Dradicus wrote:So are you looking for a way to open the use the GPX files just in an app or are you open to loading them from your phone directly to a handheld device?
Looking for free apps to recommend to organizations when they talk to MGS about Geocaching. I don’t use android so I’m a little limited there. The gpx issue comes up when they want to place several temp “geocaches” for an event.
portlywalker
MGS Member

Post by portlywalker »

C:GEO is the go to Android app to supplement geocaching dot com

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Post by _JohnnyCache »

Just downloaded GCDroid for Android, they have a free version and a pro key upgrade. I'm pretty impressed with the app, can import pocket queries, connects to dropbox and has the ability to also import GSAK databases. It also has nice navigation integration with Google Maps and Waze. It does of course integrate with the Groundspeak API, supports online logging and offline field notes. Right now the pro version is 40% off until the end of the month since C:GEO has been having issues, they're trying to steal some customers. Some may not realize that even though C:GEO is a nice app, they don't use the Groundspeak API but still scrape the site, so any change on geocaching.com breaks the app, it's always been that way. Anyway, GCDroid was a nice surprise.
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein