Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Calvert Cliffs and UXO

Plan your group hikes/get-togethers, discuss caches in need of TLC/adoption plus new & favorite caches, as well as park/geocacher relations.
PatuxentPirates
Former MGS Officer

Calvert Cliffs and UXO

Post by PatuxentPirates »

Just as an FYI, I was recently training with a K-9 Search & Rescue team out at Calvert Cliffs State Park and we discovered a UXO or unexploded ordnance off of the orange trail. We marked it and I called the Natural Resource Police. It turns out these were just old practice bombs which were rendered inert a long time ago, but at one time they did carry a charge. The ones that were found have been removed, but if you find anything that's possibly a UXO in the park you should contact the Natural Resource Police and definitely leave it alone.

8O
woodysix8
Former MGS Officer

Re: Calvert Cliffs and UXO

Post by woodysix8 »

With that, a piece of ordnance was found on private property last week north of Hollywood. It was detonated but if there was one, there could be others. Thanks for the heads up Bob
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

I'm glad you explained what a UXO is. :smt032
-robert
MGS Site Admin, MGS Director, former Officer
Need to change or edit your username? Send me a PM!
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
PatuxentPirates
Former MGS Officer

Post by PatuxentPirates »

A UXO can be lots of things... in this case its just old dummy bombs which were left in this location after WWII, not dropped from a plane accidentally or anything. These never had actual explosives in them, but did carry a charge in the nose to mark the spot where it hit. That weak charge didn't appear active anymore, but the Natural Resource Police still called the bomb squad in anyway. I feel bad for those guys, it was probably a 1/2 mile in on the trail and there are chiggers galore out there.