Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Radioactic Cache #2

Plan your group hikes/get-togethers, discuss caches in need of TLC/adoption plus new & favorite caches, as well as park/geocacher relations.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Radioactic Cache #2

Post by Sue-Cat »

http://coord.info/GC4NT9X

There have been quite a number of notes on the cache page, getting into discussions, and many of those notes have been deleted...

...so I figured it was about time to start a thread here... discuss away!
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Re: Radioactic Cache #2

Post by sfcchaz »

Originally I noticed the female's name in the photo: Rems - Roentgen equivalent man (less 'S'). I followed that for a while. Most notably Geiger(–Müller) counter or dosimeter (not 2 words). As for Geiger Counter, I coundn't make the hex conversion work.
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

Then the photo changed to the hot weather woodland camouflage BDU blouse. Well then...
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

This cache has become one of contention, mostly I think due to the CO's statement that he will archive the cache on Nov 1 if no-one has found the cache yet. A few other unusual factors are the CO's decision not to provide hints, or coordinate verification while desiring the puzzle to be solved quickly.

Personally, I don't have any strong feelings about the cache being archived, however, I would like to point out the following:

- a puzzle not being solved is NEVER a reason to log an SBA ("Should Be Archived") (apparently a cacher suggested they might log an SBA).

- the cache was published not long ago, on 9/22/2013. I believe geocache guidelines state caches should be in place for a minimum of 3 months (since they banned temporary caches many years ago). Hence, archiving the cache sooner than 12/22/2013 is against guidelines unless there is a problem with the cache placement (for example: permission, unexpected construction on top of GZ, etc.) (a puzzle not being solved is not a problem with cache placement). I also consider it unsportsmanlike to archive a cache after giving would be solvers such a short time to solve the puzzle.

- there are a lot of puzzles that have gone unsolved for months, even years. And.... they have eventually been solved and found. If this cache is NOT archived on Nov 1, yes, I do believe it will be solved eventually.
Last edited by Sue-Cat on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

sfcchaz wrote:Originally I noticed the female's name in the photo: Rems - Roentgen equivalent man (less 'S'). I followed that for a while. Most notably Geiger(–Müller) counter or dosimeter (not 2 words). As for Geiger Counter, I coundn't make the hex conversion work.
Yep, been down that path!
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

BTW, feel free to email me with any specific puzzle discussions. This thread is intended for more public discussions such as those that were going to the cache page.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
SeeKPeeKRs
MGS Member

Post by SeeKPeeKRs »

As I find some of the notes (including mine) on the cache listing page hysterical .... I want to preserve some of them here ....
Just do it!
SeeKPeeKRs
MGS Member

Post by SeeKPeeKRs »

vicekitty on 10/08/2013:
This is what I will do. If this puzzle is not solved by Nov 1st, I will just archive it. And I will leave a point by point explanation on how it was to be solved. Face palms will be abound.
Apparently everyone seemed to be stumped, so if that is the case, than there is no reason to continue having the cache as it would never be found.
I refuse to add anymore hints or a geochecker.

vicekitty on 10/10/2013:
Huge adjustment made to focus your search. Don't waste your time looking at the tag.
This cache is geared toward military veterans, which do comprise a large segment of the geocaching community. And remember I said they should know, whether they remember or not is another story.

vicekitty on 10/10/2013:
I want to further add that the official name is defined by NSN, field and training manuals, nomenclature, and official government literature. All of which is readily available on the internet, but again you must know what you are looking for.
Don't worry civilians, I will add a massive hint for you guys after FTF has been made.

Corfmania on 10/11/2013:
Personally speaking, I have invested a lot of time, and so have others, toward solving this. To have it archived simply because nobody found it fast enough isn't very respectful of our investment. If it's solvable, then you can be sure that someone will solve and find it. Guaranteed.

^ Very well said, by the way!!

vicekitty on 10/11/2013:
I have received a lot of grief over this cache since it was published. Via email and notes, the validity of the puzzle has been repeatedly questioned. And to be honest, that is starting to get old.
I actually received an email that was that exact inverse of what you said in your note Corfmania. It said that I was doing a disservice to geocaching and that they would call for my cache's archival if it wasn't solved after a period of time. And that was from a well known geocacher in the Baltimore area and member of the MGS, so who am I to question that?
I have offered ... more than adequate time for people to solve it, so I think I have been more than respectful.

SeeKPeeKRs on 10/12/2013:
I am one of the people that has been working on this one; I might not have been working on it as hard as others, but it would be nice to have the opportunity to find it once the puzzle is solved.
Corfmania is a well-known cacher and member of MGS. So, he's saying the opposite of another well-known member of MGS ..... What to do? What to do? I think I am fairly well-known too and I'm a member of the MGS .... Now what? This reminds me of a story ....
I am a teacher. One day I was called into the principal's office because she had received two "complaints" that day from two different parents. Oh no! Well, she actually thought it was kind of funny because, no lie, one parent had called to complain that I gave too much homework and the other parent had called to complain that I did not give enough homework. The lesson learned? Do what I know is right and good teaching practices; you can't please everyone all of the time.
Does this lesson apply to geocaching? You bet!
<and>
I would like to know what GPSr (brand and model) unit the CO uses ....

vicekitty on 10/12/2013:
I have been receiving complaints from more than just one geocacher. Many of those complaints consisted of people asking me to change my puzzle and make it easier, that is in addition to others questioning the mechanics of the puzzle itself. I don't think others have to deal with that, and in my opinion is disrespectful. My decision to archive was based on an aggregate of factors.
Now I think the coordinates of my hide are being questioned.

SeeKPeeKRs on 10/12/2013:
The reason I asked about the GPSr model is because some (DeLorme for one) displays the decimal minutes with 4 decimal places. I had a solution that returned a decimal minutes answer with 4 decimal places. That's all. My post NEVER, EVER was questioning coords. That was a leap of logic that wasn't there.
There might not be so many complaints and comments if post weren't so aggressive and dismissive. We all play this game differently. Some like to hide unfindable hides while others don't. All the other hiders I have met who like hiding unfindable hides enjoy the complaints and comments; they seem to thrive on them. Those who want to hide findable hides all give hints and will confirm coords. You really can't have it both ways.

vicekitty on 10/12/2013:
With all do respect, that leap of logic was warranted given that you did not specify such. Ellipsis can mean anything.
Further I don't thrive off of complaints, if I did I wouldn't archive it. I presumed wrong that since I had my puzzle beta tested that it was solvable, and I never thought it would go this long unsolved. And not to give away my beta test group, but I think west coast geocachers are beasts when it comes to solving puzzles.
Just do it!
robert
MGS Site Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by robert »

I remember how long we spent on Blood & Guts in Virginia and that took a lot of time. We were STUMPED. But perseverance paid off and we made the find. I would hope the CO would keep the cache open for those that are working hard on it. Ignore those that want it to be easier. If it's too hard, put it on ignore and move on. Not every cache has to be found, and there are those out there with very minimal finds that those who ARE able to sign the logbook are quite proud to have done so. This one may be one of those.

I think if everyone steps back, remembers that you're doing this for fun, the angst can go away. :anxious:
-robert
MGS Site Admin, MGS Director, former Officer
Need to change or edit your username? Send me a PM!
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

robert wrote:I remember how long we spent on Blood & Guts in Virginia and that took a lot of time. We were STUMPED. But perseverance paid off and we made the find. I would hope the CO would keep the cache open for those that are working hard on it. Ignore those that want it to be easier. If it's too hard, put it on ignore and move on. Not every cache has to be found, and there are those out there with very minimal finds that those who ARE able to sign the logbook are quite proud to have done so. This one may be one of those.

I think if everyone steps back, remembers that you're doing this for fun, the angst can go away. :anxious:
Thanks Robert. I think we are good. :-)
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
robert
MGS Site Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by robert »

I think so too, Sue. I will be interested to read the first few logs when folks start figuring it out!

I'm caching vicariously through all of you now, don't you know? :wink:
-robert
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

robert wrote: I'm caching vicariously through all of you now, don't you know? :wink:
:) Come caching robert, come caching, find your way to an MGS event and say HI! :-)
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
robert
MGS Site Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by robert »

I need to. Tough with an almost 4 yo but shouldn't be much longer. I miss everyone!
-robert
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

I have word from the field. Log has been signed. :-D

PS Would you believe, as the CO said, 'just copy and paste' IS the right thing way to do it. :doh:
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team