Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Antietam Adventure Lab Caches

Plan your group hikes/get-togethers, discuss caches in need of TLC/adoption plus new & favorite caches, as well as park/geocacher relations.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Antietam Adventure Lab Caches

Post by littleblkdog »

deepdish23, lpaulriddle, Soccertoa, Callie's_Krewe and I took some time this weekend, 24 Feb 2018, to do a status check of the Antietam Adventure. Stage 2 was missing two signs which affect one lab cache but the Adventure is otherwise ready for finding. I will put the missing information in the next post until the signs are replaced. Here is a little information that will help you understand what you need to do to complete this Adventure.

First thing to know is that this is an Adventure not a lab cache! You might say "but everybody calls it a "lab cache"". Well here is what is going on. An Adventure is something new that Groundspeak is experimenting with and it is actually a collection of lab caches (hence the plural use of "caches" in the title of this post). The Antietam Adventure includes 10 lab caches. So each stage is its own lab cache and you get 1 lab cache find added to your find count for each stage that you complete. While a Mega-Event normally hosts a few temporary lab caches, there are only six Adventures worldwide.

What is a lab cache? It is kind of like a wherigo but instead of a wherigo cartridge and player you use a web page in a browser on your phone to see pictures, receive directions, watch videos and answer questions. I have to say I have completed 46 lab caches before this Adventure and these were the best lab caches and puzzles I have ever seen. The puzzles are engaging and challenging but nothing you and your geofriends can't figure out during a couple of hours of geofun (plan for at least 90 minutes). There are no physical containers to find.

Antietam Adventure

Things you will want to complete this Adventure and its ten lab caches:
- pen and paper (take good notes!)
- the printouts below (which include puzzles you must solve and tools you will need)
- cell phone with good service reception and internet (I found ATT to have good coverage, others did ok but reception was spotty)
- GPSr with the GPX will be useful in navigating to the stages but recommended not required
- geofriends

Files you should print and bring with you:
Field Guide and puzzle sheet
Directions, Questions and note paper

Files recommeded for loading in your GPSr device to help with navigation:
GPX waypoints file

Hours and fees:
Antietam National Battlefield is open 9-5, 7 days a week except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. Entrance fees are currently $10 a vehicle or $5 a person. Like other National Parks, Antietam also has other options for military and seniors. Current information is posted at the link below. Know before you go:
Antietam National Battlefied Park Information

This Adventure is scheduled to be active until May 2021 but why wait!

NOTE: If a sign is missing due to maintenance or damage (darn snowplows!), the visitor's center has copies of all the signs in a binder at the desk. You will need to be able to describe to the Ranger where the sign should be (and preferably the sign number) but they will likely be able to help, especially if you ask nicely. Often when a sign is removed for maintenance, there will be a piece of colored tape on the support post and the sign number may be written in chalk on the post.

P.S. Thanks to the following who had a role in bringing this idea to the geocaching community:
Hixon, Calvertcachers, deepdish23, Bryan Roth, Phil Brommal, HoneyBadger34, Adric, tazscouter, lpyankeefan, and GR8Caches
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Re: Antietam Adventure Lab Caches

Post by littleblkdog »

Here are all four of the signs for Stage 2. Only two are missing but all four are included.

Stage 02 - General Knowledge A N 39° 28.998 W 77° 44.504
Nearby, find a group of four tablets. On one sign, all the listed organizations are from the same state. Only one does not use a prime number—let's call that number "x." What word on the sign starts with the letter "T" and is "x" letters long?

Within sight of the monument, locate a mortuary cannon and learn the name of the honored general--you will need it after you enter the find code.

Remember if you can't find a sign, the Rangers at the interpretive center may be able to help.

49.JPG
50.JPG
48.JPG
17.jpg