Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Caching The Rain - New Montgomery County Geotrail

What's New And Exciting in Geocaching
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Caching The Rain - New Montgomery County Geotrail

Post by Calvertcachers »

New Geotrail to launch this June/July

Montgomery County, Stormwater Management...
Caching the Rain Geotrail!

The fine folks in Montgomery County have been working to implement a new educational awareness program and they have decide to create a mini-geotrail to highlight important and educational aspects of stormwater management.

Stay tuned for more details!
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Re: Caching The Rain - New Montgomery County Geotrail

Post by Calvertcachers »

Caching The Rain Geotrail

Scheduled to launch this Saturday, June 28th! I will post the passport on Friday so cachers can download it in advance.

Discover the Caching the Rain Geotrail to learn how you can help clean our waterways, and be part of the solution in Montgomery County! Stormwater pollution is the only source of pollution increasing in the Chesapeake Bay. Reduce runoff: Slow it down, spread it out, soak it in!

The Caching the Rain Geotrail will launch June 28, 2014 with 6 caches within Montgomery County. A trackable geocoin will be awarded to the first 145 geocachers, while supplies last, for locating all 6 caches and completing the passport. To be eligible for the geocoin, geocachers must first download a passport from either Caching the Rain Geotrail website or Maryland Geocaching Society website. Geocachers must find all 6 geocaches, read and follow each geocache’s instructions and correctly answer the question inside each cache and record your answer in your passport. Questions can be easily answered by using surrounding resources nearby the geocache. After discovering all 6 geocaches and recording the correct answer in the passport, geocachers must enter their answers directly online. Visit the Caching The Rain website at:www.montgomerycountymd.gov/dep/water/ca ... -rain.html to enter your answers! Geocoins will be shipped to Montgomery County residents or picked up during office hours. Non-residents must pick up the geocoin during office hours (M-F 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM) at 255 Rockville Pike, Suite 120 Rockville, MD 20850.

Special note: The website will not fully launch until this Saturday morning. For any questions regarding this trail or the geocaches, please contact the Montgomery County Government at DEP.geocaching@montgomerycountymd.gov or 240.777.7791.

Here is a list of the Caching The Rain Geotrail Caches:
CTR – Cache the Trash GC57H45
CTR - Harvest the Heavens GC5776P
CTR – White Oak – Paint Branch GC57H6C
CTR – Slidin’ Down Sligo GC57HGJ
CTR – Slow the Flow GC57H71
CTR – Well Observed Rain GC57H5A
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

Within minutes of placing this post I have rec'd many questions and comments....
As a side note, I did provide advice on the requirements for earning a coin but the Montgomery County Gov't folks made the decisions and set the rules. Not my decision. Also, I did not help place the caches nor did I dry run the hides. However, I did give the Montgomery County Gov't team advice on how to do a geotrail and I did help them create all of the cache pages. So any questions, comments or concerns should be addressed to the Montgomery County team. The young lady who I have been working with has been very responsive and is knowledgeable about geocaching. Therefore, I am confident that this will be a very nice and educational geotrail!
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

July 1, 2014
Attached is a new/revised PDF of the passport.

I did reduce the pdf for easy downloading. Please let me know if you have any troubles.

On the original, the answer hint for GC57H6C was correct on the card in the cache, but incorrect on the passport and on the cache page.

Enjoy!
Caching the Rain Passport_July 5 revised.pdf
CTR - July 5, 2014 Revised test passport.
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 510 times
Attachments
Caching the Rain Passport July 1 2014 reduced.pdf
(394.26 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

Thanks for posting the link to the pdf, Sue. Do you have any idea when the caches will publish?
WJ family
MGS Member

Post by WJ family »

They posted at 9am this morning. We had trouble with the survey monkey submission page, though.
eissak
Former MGS Officer

Post by eissak »

I called the number provided today and asked if I could pick up coins for those who are unable to get theirs during the times their office is open. If interested, you can email me at eissak@gmail.com with your name (first/last) and geo-name. :)
Serrabou
MGS Member

Post by Serrabou »

This is the first geotrail we've done and the kids and I really enjoyed completing it yesterday. The informational cards in the caches are very well done.

We stopped by today to pick up the coin. I was hoping to get two for my eldest son and me (the maintains his own caching account) but the rule is one coin per household. The website dubiously says "one per person, per household" so thought I'd forewarn anyone with kids doing the trail.
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

Great News! The folks with the Montgomery County Government, Stormwater Management Division have 300 more geocoins to award cachers for completing the Caching The Rain Geotrail!

They had placed 6 nice hides back in 2014 and all you have to do is find the six caches, complete the passport to earn your coin! You can find the caches here: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest ... ingtheRain

For more information on the program, you can visit their website at: http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/DEP/w ... -rain.html or contact the program manager, Ryan Zerbe. Some of you may have met Ryan at Geowoodstock last year. He is a great guy and very supportive of Maryland Geocaching!
Dradicus
MGS Member

Post by Dradicus »

I went down today with Wirtz and Nomaland and we completed this little trail. It's definitely educational and very well put together! Now I just need to get an envelope in the mail to send down to get the coin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The_Jurgen
MGS Member

Post by The_Jurgen »

I completed this trail in 2014 and last week they sent me the same coin again. I'll send Ryan an email. Would rather others get an opportunity to earn a coin. Hope they aren't doing that for the other first 145 that completed the trail.
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

If you completed the survey that was sent about 10 days ago, and entered your address at the bottom, this might have triggered them to send a new coin.
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------