Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Jeremy Stepping Down as President of Groundspeak

What's New And Exciting in Geocaching
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Jeremy Stepping Down as President of Groundspeak

Post by _JohnnyCache »

Hey folks!

I wanted to give you some shocking news. I've stepped down as president of Geocaching HQ (formerly known as Groundspeak, formerly known as Grounded, Inc.). I'm now Senior Vice President and Bryan Roth has taken the helm as president.

Yes, shocking... maybe. It's been 16 years as president, and I've realized that running a company isn't my passion. I'm an idea guy and the game itself has grown incredibly large over the last 16 years. I'd rather think about ways to make geocaching better and have some time (and resources) to work on smaller projects to help the core team improve the game.

I have been honored to work with Bryan over the years and believe he is the right person to take the helm at Geocaching HQ. He has a deep knowledge of the game and I have always envied his personal skills, both as a leader and as a communicator. He is also someone who doesn't step away from difficult challenges.

And he's a good friend.

I appreciate the opportunity to have some time to think about the game more and come up with ideas that will improve upon it. I believe this hits my talent sweet spot and feel like the company will benefit from the change.

So I'm still here, just changing roles to where I believe I should be.

Jeremy Irish
Geocaching HQ
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein
zekester
MGS Member

Re: Jeremy Stepping Down as President of Groundspeak

Post by zekester »

Let me first say that I believe that _JohnnyCache is a realiable source.

There has been some question in the Groundspeak forums as to whether this is fake news (it has apparently appeared on a few Facebook pages as well). A moderator there has verified that it is true. It appears tha Groundspeak has no intention of making a public announcement, which I do not find surprising. Someone also claims to have checked Mr. Irish's linked in page, and it has apparently been edited to reflect the change in roll.

Interesting news, it will be fascinating to watch what changes may come, or see if there are differences in how the company is run.