Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

2016 CAM Information Page

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

Subscribe to this thread to receive the most current information about CAM 2016 as it progresses from planning to completion!
CAM_INFO_Page.png
UPDATE:
Here's a direct link to the March 26th post with all the download links.

And remember, once you have found all ten CAM caches, send an email to [email=CAM2016Completion@mdgps.org?subject=CAM Completion&body=My geocaching.com username is:]CAM2016Completion@mdgps.org[/email] with ‘CAM Completion’ in the subject and your geocaching name in the body.
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

Thanks to Mrs. Bocco in providing the MGS with the 2016 Cache Across Maryland logo. Look for the logo to be available on merchandise at the Cafe Press Store in the next couple of months.
Attachments
CAM2016_logo.PNG
deepdish23
MGS Director

Re: 2016 CAM Information Page

Post by deepdish23 »

The CAM Picnic location has officially been confirmed. The CAM Picnic will be held on Saturday May 14th at ????????. Please mark it on your calendars.
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

The 2016 CAM Picnic event page has published!

2016 Cache Across Maryland
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

If you were not at the Meet the Officers event today, there were several announcements in regards to CAM. The files will be available on the MGS site at 8am on Saturday, March 26th. There will be several events being held statewide from 7:30 to 8:30 that morning. We can answer questions, load GPS units and have paperwork to hand out.

In addition, the files can also be emailed directly to you. To receive them, sent your email address to 2016camfiles@mdgps.org. Please put your geocaching name in the Subject line.
CacheNCarry45
Former MGS Officer

Post by CacheNCarry45 »

In addition to Cindy's post I want to clarify some of the information we revealed. As far as for GPX files on CAM launch day they will be available on mdgps.org as usual at 8 am. The other way which we are experimenting is email since the website gets overwhelmed and not everyone can access the file. Simply emailing the address 2016camfiles@mdgps.org now will allow us to place your account on a distribution list for a one time message with the files in it. We will also place a link to a dropbox or google drive account with the link as well if your email blocks the attachments for some reason.

The satellite events will NOT be required to complete CAM and are simply available as meet and greets and to receive the GPX files via directly connecting your GPS to one of our laptops or manually emailing the file if you did not receive it. These events will also allow any new cachers that have not done CAM to ask questions or receive any help that is needed.
CacheNCarry45
Former MGS Officer

Post by CacheNCarry45 »

For a new twist this year and added convenience we will be hosting several events throughout the state to assist cachers. These will occur just before CAM starts at 7:30 am till 8:30 am. You do NOT have to attend these satellite events to finish CAM. They are simply a way to receive the GPX file, answer any CAM questions and to assist new cachers that have never completed CAM.

The events are now live and here are the links:

CAM 2016 Kickoff Event – North
CAM 2016 Kickoff Event – South
CAM 2016 Kickoff Event – East
CAM 2016 Kickoff Event – West
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

The CAM 2016 Teaser Map has posted early!! :dance:

It can be viewed in its own thread here. :shhh:
Alzarius
MGS Director

2016 CAM FAQ

Post by Alzarius »

CAM 2016 FAQ

The following is a list of frequently asked questions about CAM. Most of these questions have been accumulated from previous FAQs posted to the forum with a couple new ones added this year. Be sure to subscribe to this thread to receive the most current information about CAM 2016 as we approach the kickoff day!

What is CAM?
CAM (Cache Across Maryland) is an annual event hosted by the Maryland Geocaching Society. 10 members are chosen by the MGS CAM Committee to place a total of 10 CAM caches in various locations all over Maryland. Your mission is to find all 10 of those caches and have a wonderful time travelling around this fine State. If you find all 10 and gather the special code from each one, the location of the annual CAM celebratory picnic will be revealed, and you’re invited to attend.

When is CAM?
It varies from year to year, but the hunt typically begins on a Saturday in mid-to-late-March, and the picnic is typically the 1st or 2nd Saturday in May. This year’s CAM begins on Saturday, March 26th, and the picnic will be on Saturday, May 14th.

Where is the picnic?
You need to find all the caches and get the information from each one. The week before the picnic, we will publish a special decoder which will reveal the location of the picnic when paired with the information you discovered (and wrote down, right?) in each CAM cache. The picnic is held in a different location each year, and finding out where is part of the fun!

Who can participate?
Any geocacher can participate, regardless of experience. You must have a valid account on geocaching.com, and your geocaching.com username will appear on your Certificate of Completion. If you’re not a member of the MGS that’s OK, but you’re encouraged to join.

Do I need to find all the CAM Caches to attend the picnic?
Yes! The picnic is a special event for those that find all of the caches, and you need to visit each cache to get the information needed to find the picnic.

Boy, there is a lot of driving needed to get all the caches! Can I join a group and carpool?
Of course! Just seek out other participants and form a group. You can even post in the forums and ask. There is typically a forum thread dedicated to carpooling as well.

What can I expect the caches to be like? How hard are they?
The CAM caches are usually rated no higher than 2.5 Difficulty and 2.5 Terrain. Size is at least a regular. They tend to be Traditionals, but you might occasionally run into a Multi-Cache or an on-site Puzzle cache.

What happens to the CAM caches after CAM each year?
The CAM caches are often transferred to the hider of the cache or otherwise adopted out and maintained like any other cache. In some cases the hides are archived, for instance if hide permission is granted by the land manager specifically for CAM and only up until the date of the picnic.

Where is the cache information for each of the caches?
On the morning of opening day, the cache pages get published in the forums as .pdf files for viewing, and are also included in a special .gpx file you can load on your GPSr. They are NOT published on geocaching.com until after the picnic. The CAM caches will be published here on the MGS forums at 8.00am on March 26th. A word of warning: You MUST adhere to any restrictions on access times for the land the cache is placed on. Violating legal land access times will not be tolerated, is illegal, and puts future CAMs in jeopardy. The MGS won’t bail you out of the Stoney Lonesome either. We try to put accurate hours on the cache listings, but it is your responsibility to comply with local laws.

If the CAM caches aren’t published on geocaching.com until after the CAM Picnic, what do I do about logging them in the meantime?
At the start of CAM, a topic will be opened here on the forums for each cache. You may log your experience in that topic and when the caches are published on geocaching.com after the picnic, you can cut and paste your logs. Of course, you can just keep your own notes somewhere until they are available for logging on geocaching.com.

I care what order my caches get logged on geocaching.com and I log using the real found date. If the CAM caches aren’t available for logging on geocaching.com until after the picnic, how can I keep them in order along with all my other finds during CAM?
The simple answer is that you can’t unless you wait till after CAM to log everything you found during CAM on geocaching.com. If you only worry about find milestone order, then you can use the milestone features on geocaching.com to keep milestones accurate in your account. You are strongly encouraged to backdate your logs on geocaching.com with the actual date during CAM that you found them.

I’ve got this really cool Travel Bug or other Trackable. Can I put it in a CAM Cache?
Please don’t. Since the caches aren’t published on geocaching.com during CAM, it isn’t possible to log them into or out of the cache, and that’s not fair to the owner of the trackable. So, please don’t place any in a CAM cache during CAM. If you find one, please take it with you and put it in a cache that’s listed on geocaching.com.

Is there any sort of reward for finishing?
Each person with a geocaching.com handle will receive a certificate for completing CAM. In addition, those geocachers who are able to attend the CAM picnic will receive a CAM geocoin trackable at geocaching.com.

If I cannot make the picnic, will I be able to get a certificate and a coin?
Any geocacher who does not attend the CAM picnic will still receive a certificate which can be picked up at a future event, but the geocacher will not earn a geocoin.

Can I have someone else pick up my coin?
Sorry, you must be present to receive your coin.

Can I have someone buy a coin for me at the picnic?
Yes, once all coins have been handed out at the picnic, the remaining coins will be sold by the MGS officers. You can have someone buy a coin for you.

Each member of my family has their own geocaching.com handle, including our newborn. Will they each get a geocoin for completing CAM?
Every member of your family who has a geocaching.com handle and found all 10 CAM caches will receive a CAM coin. Though we do not require it, we encourage families which earn several geocoins to make a donation to the MGS. Selling the remaining CAM geocoins is a way for the MGS to raise money to cover the cost of presenting CAM and other events through the year. Many MGS members with families give a donation at the CAM picnic to cover some of the cost of the geocoins their families earn. If you wish to give a donation, there will be a donation jar located near the sign-in table.

How will you know I’ve found all the caches and I’m finished?
Details on how to tell us you’ve finished can vary from year to year, but it generally involves sending an e-mail to a special CAM Completion e-mail address. (Check out this year’s CAM Information post in the forums for details.) It is VERY IMPORTANT to let us know you’ve finished so we can make the picnic as enjoyable as possible for everyone, and so we can have your Certificate of Completion ready for you.

Is there anything else to do during CAM but find the caches?
There are often some other contests going on, such as the Best Photo contest, vote for your Favorite Hide, etc., and there are a ton of competitions and awards at the picnic. Suggestions are always welcome!

What if I can’t find one of the caches, it's missing, or damaged?
You can contact any of the MGS Officers at any time to report any issue with a CAM hide during CAM. We’ll coordinate repair or replacement of a hide as quickly as possible so you can make another attempt, but you must find all of them to complete CAM. After the picnic, please contact the cache owner.

I’m really hungry after all that caching. What’s to eat at the picnic?
The picnic is a grand pot luck and barbeque. A few weeks before the picnic a forum topic will be started where you can tell us what you’re planning to bring.

Who pays for all this?
You do, through your generous donation of time, goods, or money to the MGS. You can offer monetary support in various ways, including the purchase of MGS and CAM merchandise from the MGS Store, direct donations, purchase of an MGS Maryland License Plate, donations of items for MGS Silent Auctions, and participating in other fundraising activities throughout the year. Everything goes back to the community in accordance with our by-laws.

I usually get a hotel on the Friday before the start of CAM in (Ocean City, Elkton, St Mary’s County, Grantsville). Can you let me know if I shouldn’t get a hotel room in one of those locations because there is not a CAM cache near there?
Part of the excitement of CAM is the secrecy of where the CAM locations are, so we will not make a statement, “Don’t get a hotel in Southern Maryland, because we didn’t put any caches there this year.” The last piece of the CAM Teaser Map will be released 7 days before the start of CAM. Hopefully this will give you a fair sense of where you might need to travel and help you adjust your travel plans.

I’m new to geocaching and i don’t understand how to load .gpx files onto my GPSr. Is there any way i can get help with this?
Yes, this year we are hosting four kickoff events to help introduce new cachers to CAM and to assist with loading cache files onto their devices. The events will take place on Saturday, March 26th from 7.30–8.30am at the following locations:

CAM 2016 Kickoff Event – North (Abingdon)
CAM 2016 Kickoff Event – South (Bowie)
CAM 2016 Kickoff Event – East (Salisbury)
CAM 2016 Kickoff Event – West (Hagerstown)

How can i stay up-to-date with CAM announcements?
If you haven’t already, you should subscribe to the 2016 CAM Information Page on the forums. Scroll to the top of the CAM Info Page and click the ‘Subscribe topic’ link (see below). If you need help, contact one of the MGS officers.
Subscribe demo.png
CacheNCarry45
Former MGS Officer

Post by CacheNCarry45 »

We are closing in on opening day! Here are few updates that are not covered in the FAQ section that were personally asked to me at several events I have been at. After digesting them all I have your answers.

CAM Satellite Events:

Are they required to complete CAM?

No, think of them as a 101 or failback if the internet channels of downloading the cache information fails for you. Newbie cachers are HIGHLY encouraged to attend these events. South and east have the least participation so you will get more one on one with these events.

PathTags!

Why haven't the CAM PathTags been posted yet? What is going on with coins and the MGS?

Sorry to say this year we had a design issue which delayed the order. The problem again was not our fault but responses and channels of communication that did get taken care of on time. We pushed through every way we could to order them. The good part is they will be available within the period of CAM. So keep a look out in those caches and online for the sale. We will post an update when we have more information. Stay Tuned.

GPX Files

One of the most asked questions is where do I download the CAM files?
This year we are using multiple pipelines to deliver the GPX files. In past years the website often crashes because our bandwidth exceeds our traffic limit and the database gets overwhelmed.

You will be able to access the GPX files through 2 confirmed locations. Here on the forums under the pinned thread "2016 CAM Information Page" which the same page you are reading this post on. The second will be an email option. If you have not already please email 2016camfiles @ mdgps . org << remove the spaces before hitting send. At 8 AM an email will be sent to a distribution list with the GPX files attached and a link to the dropbox.

The third will be Facebook under the "Maryland Geocaching Society" group page. Please note we have not tested this way yet but a link to a dropbox file with the GPX information will be posted there if it lets us.
CacheNCarry45
Former MGS Officer

Post by CacheNCarry45 »

The dry run email has been sent! If you subscribed to the email list you should have received 2 emails today. One has just a GPX file and the second will have the GPX file and the google drive share link with the same email.

If you did NOT receive an email we had several addresses bounce back. I will not post the addresses for the privacy of those. However please allow the day to pass and verify you did not receive it. We will open a post on how to remediate this issue tomorrow morning.

Thank you for your patience as we work new avenues to make sure each one of you receives the file timely.
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

The Maryland Geocaching Society and the National Park Service welcome you to

In commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of the National Park Service, the Maryland Geocaching Society and the National Park Service have joined together in presenting Cache Across Maryland 2016 in ten National Park locations throughout the state of Maryland. From the mountains of Western Maryland to the Atlantic Ocean, CAM 2016 will demonstrate that Maryland truly is “America in Miniature”.

Below you will find all the information needed to complete CAM. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. You can post your questions here in the CAM forums.

In the download locations, you will find:
  1. The .gpx file containing all ten CAM caches
  2. The CAM Passport
  3. The Overview Map of all ten CAM caches
  4. A zip archive containing all of the above, plus a .pdf of all ten cache pages

BE SURE TO FIND THE CODE IN EACH CAM CACHE!
You can keep track of the codes on your CAM Passport, in a notebook, etc. THIS CODE IS VERY IMPORTANT!! Sometime during the first week of May, a decoder will post here in this forum thread. All ten codes you collect will be needed to determine the coordinates for the event.

CAM caches will not be published until the day of the event, Saturday, May 14th, so you CANNOT log them FOUND until then (even if you do not find all 10, you can still log the ones you actually found). You may use the appropriate thread in the CAM forums as storage for your temporary logs. When the caches are officially published on geocaching.com, you can simply copy/paste your logs from the forums to the cache pages. NO SPOILERS PLEASE. :shame: There will also be a photo gallery set up on the MGS website for you to upload photos.

Speaking of photos, this year we will be doing another CAM PHOTO CONTEST, with the winners to be judged at the event. We also plan to have a vote for ‘Favorite CAM cache’ so keep that in mind when you are seeking them. We tried to keep everything uniform and bring you to each area, so rather than doing ‘scenic’ or ‘creative’, we’ll just lump it into one favorite, which can be for any reason!

There are several bonus caches being released this morning in conjunction with CAM. Here is a bookmark list: List of Bonus Caches. If these caches have not already been published this morning, they will be published shortly. Make sure these caches are loaded into your GPS'r.

Also, since the caches will not be listed until the event, DO NOT LEAVE TRACKABLES in the caches. If you want to use your own TB/geocoin for mileage that’s fine (you'll need to log it after May 14th), but with no way to keep track of TBs, the CAM caches aren’t a good place to drop them until the caches are actually published.

AFTER you have completed CAM, send an email to [email=CAM2016Completion@mdgps.org?subject=CAM Completion&body=My geocaching.com username is:]CAM2016Completion@mdgps.org[/email] with the subject ‘CAM Completion’ and containing your geocaching.com name. This information will be used to create the CAM Certificates and also determine how many will be attending the picnic. If you don’t put ‘CAM Completion’ in the title, there is a chance that your email will be overlooked.

The picnic event will be Saturday, May 14th from 10am–4pm. The picnic will be potluck, please bring a dish to share. For those that have not attended an MGS event, there is always plenty of food so do not feel the need to feed a small army. At some point when it looks like you’re finished with CAM, please post a note on the event page with what you intend to bring so we don’t end up with too many of the same items.

* * * PLEASE OBSERVE POSTED PARK HOURS AND DO NOT ENTER AFTER HOURS, NO MATTER HOW TEMPTING * * *

PLEASE OBEY ALL PARK HOURS. The caches are NOT night accessible. The CAM organizers realize this is a large undertaking, but please budget your time wisely so you’re not tempted to go in after dark. You risk being prosecuted or, at the very least, having your car locked in after hours. Some of the parks open at a specific time and not at sunrise. Please respect those hours.

We are most fortunate to have entered into this partnership with the National Park Service this year. It would be a terrible shame if this relationship were jeopardized by geocachers disobeying park rules and regulations. Please think seriously about this when you visit the parks. And if you see a park ranger, be sure to express your thanks and enthusiasm that the MGS has been welcomed onto National Parkland this year!

Good luck, have fun, be safe, and enjoy the scenery of our beautiful state’s national parklands. We hope to see you all on May 14th!

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

The following links contain all the information needed to participate in CAM.

To download files, right-click the link and select ‘Save As’ or ‘Download’
For the sake of compatibility, some of the files are provided in both native format (gpx & pdf) and as compressed archives (zip). If you have difficulty with one format, try the other. The files are available both on the MGS server and on a Dropbox backup.

MGS server:
 • Gpx file of all ten caches  ( gpx | zip )
 • Passport  ( pdf | zip )
 • Overview Map  ( pdf | zip )
 • All CAM 2016 files in one zip archive  ( zip )
      (contains cache pages, passport, maps, and gpx)

Dropbox:
 • Gpx file of all ten caches ( gpx | zip )
 • Passport ( pdf | zip )
 • Overview Map ( pdf | zip )
 • All CAM 2016 files in one zip archive ( zip )
      (contains cache pages, passport, maps, and gpx)

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

I'm afraid there's an error in the Hampton NHS CAM cache description:
The checksum should be 23 (not 16). My apologies for the error!
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

The CAM 2016 log threads have posted in the Cache Across Maryland forum. You may post your CAM logs in these threads, but please, no spoilers! On May 14th you will be able to log them on geocaching.com.

Assateague Island National Seashore
  Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge
  Catoctin Mountain Park
  C&O Canal: Ferry Hill
  C&O Canal: Great Falls
  Great Allegheny Passage
  Greenbelt Park
  Hampton National Historic Site
  Monocacy National Battlefield
  National Colonial Farm at Piscataway Park
Alzarius
MGS Director

Greenbelt Park Parking

Post by Alzarius »

A reminder to CAMmers about how to access the Greenbelt Park parking area. Some folks have been overlooking the note about parking in the cache listing:

• Please take careful note of the Parking waypoint. The cache is in the southern end of the park, and the parking lot is accessed from Good Luck Road. This lot cannot be accessed from the main Greenbelt Road entrance at the north end of the park.

A parking waypoint (N38° 58.351, W076° 54.161) was included in the gpx file and listed on the cache page pdf. This waypoint will guide you to the correct entrance.
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

The CAM 2016 files have been updated to correct a few errors:
 • Hampton now lists the correct checksum (23)
 • National Colonial Farm at Piscataway Park is now named correctly in the gpx
 • Ferry Hill now warns you not to walk across MD-34 (bonus points to those of you who went out of your way to avoid crossing MD-32)

A big thank-you to robert and SirCrab who were kind enough to indulge me in creating a new set of files. Only the gpx file and the zip archive of all files were affected. The file names haven't changed, so you can still use the same download links on the announcement page.

Of course, right after the files were updated, one more error was discovered :doh:: Great Allegheny Passage was assigned the “<1 KM” attribute, but the round-trip walk is actually about 1.5 mi (2.4 km). I hope we can all live with that flub until May 14th — if i try to update the files again, i'm likely to find myself hoisted up a flagpole! :anxious:
Alzarius
MGS Director

CAM 2016 Pathtag #2 – Find Your Park

Post by Alzarius »

:dance: The first wave of CAM 2016 pathtags is in!!! :dance:

Well, technically it's the second design, but the first to finish production. ‘Second?’ you ask? That's right! This year we're not offering just one, but two CAM pathtag designs! Heck, we're so excited about CAM 2016, who knows, there might even be a third on the way as well! :shhh:

When the ‘official’ CAM 2016 pathtag is ready (soon, we hope!) it will be available for purchase on the pathtags.com storefront as usual.

This pathtag is different. The National Park Service was extremely generous in granting the MGS permission to use the cool ‘Find Your Park’ logo on a pathtag; however, to avoid complications with copyright and licensing issues, we have agreed not to sell them online. As a result, these FYP pathtags can only be purchased in person from MGS officers. While supplies last, we will maintain a list of which events we will be attending so you'll know where and when to find us.

The pricing for the FYP pathtags is as follows:
 • One for $2
 • Five for $7
 • Ten for $13
 • Twenty for $25

Here are a few upcoming events where you can find us:
 • Tues, 5 April (6–8pm) – Frederick Puzzler's Corner (Frederick)
 • Wed, 6 April (7–9pm) – First Wednesday (Rockville)
 • Thurs, 7 April (4.30–6pm) – Dinner At The Amish Market (Hagerstown)

CacheNCarry45
Former MGS Officer

Post by CacheNCarry45 »

So I keep seeing questions where to access the CAM files. They are ^^^^^^ up there! Scroll up a few posts and all the links are right there. I have also posted on facebook about this too with the link to the thread. On picnic day the actual caches will be published and accessible to the general public.

The FAQ above answers most of your questions if you are new to CAM. If you any other questions that have not been answered try the FAQ thread under Cache Across Maryland.
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

Here's a direct link to the post with all the download links.

And remember, once you have found all ten CAM caches, send an email to [email=CAM2016Completion@mdgps.org?subject=CAM Completion&body=My geocaching.com username is:]CAM2016Completion@mdgps.org[/email] with ‘CAM Completion’ in the subject and your geocaching name in the body.
CacheNCarry45
Former MGS Officer

Post by CacheNCarry45 »

The CAM 2016 Photo Contest Thread is up!