Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Cache Across Maryland (CAM) Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Re: Cache Across Maryland (CAM) Frequently Asked Questions

Post by _JohnnyCache »

Veldomert666 wrote:This might be kind of an odd question but...

Do I need to get permission from someone if I want to put the picture in the upper left hand corner of the forum on a cake?
I don't think it's an issue but you can drop a quick note to the original designer Mrs. Bocco if you'd like.
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

Of COURSE I'm the one asking this.... did ALL of the CAM caches publish today? I only got notice for Annapolis and PG county. :eh: :thinking:
Corfmania
Former MGS Officer

Post by Corfmania »

OhMelli wrote:Of COURSE I'm the one asking this.... did ALL of the CAM caches publish today? I only got notice for Annapolis and PG county. :eh: :thinking:
yip!
jpatton
MGS Member

Post by jpatton »

Yes, they all published today. You probably don't have notifications set up to cover the whole state so you only got the ones near home.

They are all on this bookmark list: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/vie ... 713cdb4d16
Jeff
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

You are EXACTLY right JPatton! Thank you sO much! :-D
thewoodenradio
MGS Member

Post by thewoodenradio »

All 72 active CAM caches, past and present are on a list I've put together:
http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/vie ... b0dc27b52d
DayzLikeThese
MGS Member

Post by DayzLikeThese »

Is anybody else having problems accessing download location #1? Keeps saying its been deleted or moved.
jpatton
MGS Member

Post by jpatton »

I just tried and get the same error. The 2nd link is working fine.
Jeff
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

Download location #1 is back up.
DayzLikeThese
MGS Member

Post by DayzLikeThese »

Awesome, thanks!
bernsa
MGS Member

Post by bernsa »

I am blocked from CAM Location #1 as a matter of corporate policy. CAM Location #2's zip file, including the CAM Passport file does not include the decoder. Can CAM Location #2 be verified that the decoder is present and verify where to look for it please?
--
My Preferred Caching Style(s): Strategic, Social, GeoTour
My Preferred Strategies: All America County and Delorme, Select Challenges, High Favorite or Preferred Caches, Adopting friends' strategies
Biggest Weakness: Logging is *uhm* optional?
Rolling.Stones
MGS Member

Post by Rolling.Stones »

Hi there,

New to geocaching. Thinking about doing the (the) CAM. I have two questions: 1.) are the CAM caches placed in cool areas you'd want to visit anyway? I ask because I am trying to convince the non-cachers in the family to come. 2.) Can I participate using an iPhone? Can I put coordinates into an iPhone?

Thanks

Rolling. Stones
CacheNCarry45
Former MGS Officer

Post by CacheNCarry45 »

What is a GPX file? If you have been caching a while you should know this and if you don't start reading because it is important.

Here is the definition from a very knowledgeable cacher!

Here's a definition of GPX file for you:

GPX, or GPS Exchange Format, is an XML schema designed as a common GPS data format for software applications. It can be used to describe waypoints, tracks, and routes. The format is open and can be used without the need to pay license fees.

Essentially it is an agreed upon standard for a file format that contains navigation data. The MGS has put together either one or more of these files containing the essential data that you would need to find the CAM hides, as a means to distribute that information, since the CAM caches are unpublished on Groundspeak until after the CAM picnic. That file will likely include coordinates, terrain and difficulty, cache size and perhaps a hint. It may also include a description. GPX files can be easily uploaded to and read by a hand-held GPS. Some phone applications for geocaching (Geosphere on the iPhone, and Cgeo on the Android, as well as, perhaps, some others) have the ability to import GPX files as well.

Courtesy of Zekester!

What do I do with it?

Well you want to participate in CAM right? Well you need to play with it and experiment on your own to realize what the file does. Basically it is just a text file that has the code. Your GPS compiles that information which displays all the cache page information on your device.

I clicked the link on the dry run email and all I get is a bunch of text?

That is actually a good thing! Well the good news is you have the file but your phone is too stupid to know what to do with it. Often you need to save the file separately from the email and then open it from the proper application. Just like a GPS you need to save it to your desktop and then copy and paste it to the folder on your GPS (if you are not using the web API).

For iPhone GeoSphere will "tag" that as a file type on the phone so if you have the app installed and configured it should automatically show the GeoSphere icon over the GPX file. Simply hold your finger on the file and it will ask what to open it with. Select GeoSphere and go from there!

I am not sure about c:geo but instructions will be provided for Android users.

A walkthrough will be provided with "basic" instructions close or on CAM launch day to assist those who are having issues.
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

@ Rolling Stones:

The MGS has put together 4 launch events around the state this coming Saturday, you should consider attending one of them, as there will be experienced folks on hand to help you get the files operational on your device. Pretty sure this events are already linked in other thread you may have looked at regarding CAM , but incase they aren't here they are:

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6 ... event-west

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6 ... vent-north

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6 ... vent-south

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6 ... event-east

Hope this helps...
acadiacats
MGS Member

Post by acadiacats »

Thank you all for the help! I am sure from all of the suggestions warlock0714 and I will get it done! He is recovering from surgery and not up for the ride up to Abingdon for the closest kickoff. We are hoping to just get ine done tomorrow in Balt County, and then go for more in the coming weeks. Again, all of your answers are greatly appreciated! Happy hunting!
BladenV
MGS Member

Post by BladenV »

I sent my CAM completion email back on April 5th but received no reply (automated or otherwise). Last year there was a confirmation email sent after sending the completion email. Will there be a confirmation email sent this year?
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

BladenV wrote:I sent my CAM completion email back on April 5th but received no reply (automated or otherwise). Last year there was a confirmation email sent after sending the completion email. Will there be a confirmation email sent this year?
We are looking into the replies and submissions.
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

BladenV wrote:I sent my CAM completion email back on April 5th but received no reply (automated or otherwise). Last year there was a confirmation email sent after sending the completion email. Will there be a confirmation email sent this year?
Thanks for catching that, BladenV! That was my bad. I completely forgot about the auto-responses. Our esteemed webmeister has been kind enough to sort the issue. Anyone who has already submitted a completion email should have received a verification email yesterday. If you did not receive one, please let us know. (Check your spam box first! :wink: )
BladenV
MGS Member

Post by BladenV »

Thanks! I resent the email with my geocaching handle a couple of days ago and received the auto-response. Should be good to go now!
Dazie62
MGS Member

Post by Dazie62 »

I sent my completion notice , as did several of the "team" and we didn't get a reply then or yet .....should we resend