Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

2013 CAM Photo Contest

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

2013 CAM Photo Contest

Post by _JohnnyCache »

Be sure to pack your camera for CAM this year!

At the May 5th CAM 2013 Picnic we'll hold a photo competition featuring all those GREAT photographs you take on the CAM trail this year!

Three MGS Officers will judge all the photos submitted, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be announced for each category.

Rules:

Categories are:
  • Wildlife
  • People
  • Scenery
  • Other/Unusual
One Photo per Category per GC.COM username.

The same photo can not be submitted in multiple categories.

Photos must be 8x10

Uploading a photo to the gallery does NOT enter you in the contest. You must submit your photo for judging at the event.

The following must be written clearly on the back of any submitted photo:
  • Caching Name
  • CAM Cache location
  • Category
We've had tons of really great photos submitted in past years and everyone is looking forward to the submissions for this year!

You can get a look at some past CAM Photos in the gallery:
CAM Pictures Through 2009
CAM Pictures 2010 and newer
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein
Driddy
MGS Member

Re: 2013 CAM Photo Contest

Post by Driddy »

Were winners ever selected last year? If so could someone point me to the results? I think I asked this question after the picnic last year but I don't recall getting an answer.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

Driddy wrote:Were winners ever selected last year? If so could someone point me to the results? I think I asked this question after the picnic last year but I don't recall getting an answer.
I think I left before the winners were decided, but were in the process of being decided. Traditionally, I think the winning photos simply get ribbons at the event... I'm not aware of the results being posted anywhere. It would be nice if they were although so much stuff already goes on during the CAM picnic and it would be extra work for someone late in the day.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Driddy
MGS Member

Post by Driddy »

I waited around until maybe 3/4s of people had left and as far as I could tell there hadn't been any winners announced (or given ribbons or whatever). I had assumed that maybe there was some delay and that the winners would be announced at a later date but I never did hear any results.
DCWarrior
MGS Member

Post by DCWarrior »

There was no verbal public announcement made. The judges walked around the submissions a while and once they decided the winners, they simply placed the corresponding ribbons with the picture. It is not a formal award ceremony, and I don't honk names were recorded to be published anywhere later. I just remember everyone waiting and watching the judges do their thing then we all grabbed up our pictures we submitted.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

DCWarrior wrote:There was no verbal public announcement made. The judges walked around the submissions a while and once they decided the winners, they simply placed the corresponding ribbons with the picture. It is not a formal award ceremony, and I don't honk names were recorded to be published anywhere later. I just remember everyone waiting and watching the judges do their thing then we all grabbed up our pictures we submitted.
Yes, this is what I've seen in previous years.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Driddy
MGS Member

Post by Driddy »

IIRC, the winners were announced at the 2011 picnic so I had assumed that was the usual practice (I have one done CAM twice). Thank you for clearing this up.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

I don't recall 2012, but here is a link to the 2011 winners after they were given their awards.
NetworkCacher
MGS Member

Post by NetworkCacher »

Do submitted photos need to be in their own frame?
Ken

_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Post by _JohnnyCache »

NetworkCacher wrote:Do submitted photos need to be in their own frame?
No frame is required, those pictures of the eagle from PG county were great.
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein
Always Lost 00
MGS Member

Post by Always Lost 00 »

Do pictures have to be taken at an actual CAM cache ??
I have some pics I took during our trips from cache to cache, some are in Delaware
Snurt
MGS Director

Post by Snurt »

Always Lost 00 wrote:Do pictures have to be taken at an actual CAM cache ??
I have some pics I took during our trips from cache to cache, some are in Delaware
CAM Photo Contest pix can be anything along the thousand miles of travel during the current CAM. Otherwise, subject matter for all categories would be limited to the trail in and the trail out.
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Post by _JohnnyCache »

Reminder that pictures must be submitted by 12:00 at the picnic to participate in the contest.

-- Albert Einstein
2 dogs & a lady
MGS Member

Post by 2 dogs & a lady »

Driddy wrote:Were winners ever selected last year? If so could someone point me to the results? I think I asked this question after the picnic last year but I don't recall getting an answer.
They were.. To my surprise I received a second prize ribbon on one of my submissions. They did not announce winners last year. They place the ribbons on the photos and we were free to walk past and admire the photos then collect our photos at our leisure after 2 o'clock ...hope this helps answer questions...
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Post by _JohnnyCache »

Sorry I forgot to post the winners here.

Categories
Wildlife - TeamGeomonkey
People - HappyMurphy
Scenery - Al's Guide
Other/Unusual - NetworkCacher

-- Albert Einstein
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

Hey Johnny? Could those results be linked to the winning photograph? That would be niiiiiiiiiice... :D
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Post by _JohnnyCache »

OhMelli wrote:Hey Johnny? Could those results be linked to the winning photograph? That would be niiiiiiiiiice... :D
The photos were brought to the picnic as physical photographs so we don't have electronic copies.

-- Albert Einstein