Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2014 - Wye Island

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
rynamon
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2014 - Wye Island

Post by rynamon »

Made this find on 3/25 but have been a slacker getting to the forums! I had to go to Easton for a site visit for work and couldn't help myself when I saw how close I was to this CAM cache. Headed onto the island with a light snow falling and had no issue getting to parking or to GZ. Once at GZ I looked around for a bit, listening to the creepy sounds of silence and trees creeping before making the find. As the snow began to fall harder I headed back the way I came...or so I thought. I realized I wasn't where I had expected and went to pull up the parking coords to get me back to the car so I could get back to work...that's when I realized I hadn't saved them! I managed to bumbled around a bit more and ended up having a pretty good bushwhack (in my work clothes) before getting back to my car. Always an adventure!
LynchTrekkers
MGS Member

Post by LynchTrekkers »

One of three CAM caches found on Saturday April 5. Glad it dried out and didn't have to deal with soggy walks or road closures that I have heard at this cache. Lots of horses to watch out for. We took the short cut across the field. My son found this one on his own, I sat back and watched him work.
sota307cacher
MGS Member

Post by sota307cacher »

#9 of 10! Found 6 April at 3:30 pm. I should have gotten off my but yesterday but I am still recovering from MOGA last weekend so I decided to lay around the house on Saturday and get up this morning and finish out CAM..... mission success! This was the third CAM cache on my list today. I headed out from Kent County with two more caches to snag today. I picked up a few Delorme pages on the way to this cache and it was nice that I had all day to myself with nothing to rush me. After getting to the parking lot and stepping off for this one I decided to grab the bonus cache first and then pick up the CAM cache on my way back to the car. I was walking down to the bonus cache and there was a family standing within 30 feet of the cache. After pausing for a moment I figured there was no way some muggle could just happen to be this close.... well, I was wrong. After grabbing the CAM cache I headed back toward the car. I am glad I went to the CAM second because I ran into Cache$King, SueCat, and Phoenix on my way back to the car. We talked for a few minutes, exchanged pathtags and then I headed out to make sure I had enough daylight to grab my last CAM cache needed. This is a nice scenic placement but I almost got trampled by some horses on my way in. One cache closer to the picnic. S3C out!
thewoodenradio
MGS Member

Post by thewoodenradio »

Wednesday, April 09 was Eastern Shore Day/Ne/Md Day. Nice weather, a bit out of the ordinary for this year's CAM, was in store. after finding CAM :dance: I went on to the bonus.

BUT in the process I dropped a "67mm" lens-cap for my camera :doh: . Later in the day another cacher told me he saw it at the CAM cache. and put it on top of the cache. If anyone spots it, please bring it to the picnic, my lens would appreciate it. :D
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found 4-11-14 at 5 pm (approx.) CAM #9

What a difference a couple of weeks make! Today we set out to grab three more CAM caches and there was no snow, or driving rain or freezing temperatures.

This was the last cache of the day and after a nice day of driving and hiking on this beautiful spring day, this was a great way to end the day. I guess we took the longer way to the cache but it was a nice hike under the trees. Once we found the cache we collected the necessary info, dropped some swag and took some pictures of the spectacular views.
Probably the best part of the cache started when we got back to the car. We do a lot of wildlife watching and photography and on the drive out we spotted some Osprey fishing as well as a Cormorant and some other birds. We even spotted a fox on the way out! Took some pictures of the Angus as well for good measure. Really feels like spring with the great weather and all the critters out and about.
TFTC! Just one more CAM cache to go!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

Pandamandium
MGS Member

Post by Pandamandium »

This was #9 of CAM. It was a great day for caching sunny warm with a slight breeze. It was so nice we decided to take the long way and enjoy nature and get the bonus cache first.( Alright we went the wrong way but it was a good thing). The sight along the way were great. There was a tree covered lane, lots of trees beginning to sprout buds, great views of the water. We got three of the other caches in the park and headed on toe our last CAM cache thanks for the hide
hunterKat
Former MGS Officer

Post by hunterKat »

4/11/2014: Where do I start? Alikat17 and I left JPPM heading here, and made a stop around Port Republic, then as we approached Annapolis. We've been working with a Nuvi (for the road), a Colorado, an Oregon, and a cell phone to navigate, and while the Colorado and Oregon were saying we were 22 straight-line miles from Wye Island, the Nuvi said it would take us three and a half hours to get there. Come on, seriously?!? Then alikat asked what "two D three hours" meant. I was driving, so didn't have a clue. I started looking @ the Nuvi's directions, and I-97 kept showing. Huh? Sure enough, it's taking us up through Baltimore from Southern Maryland, around the head of the bay. Well, I know how to get across that body of water, so I started finally to discount this. Then I looked at that phone and figured it out - 2 DAYS and 3 hours??? Did we fall through a time tunnel or something??? Wait - that bridge - it's a toll road. Darn it - I switched the Nuvi to avoid toll roads this morning after it tried to put us on the ICC. I don't have an EZPass, so that was out of the question. Okay, one puzzle solved - turned off Avoid Tolls, and now arrival time is in about 40 minutes - MUCH better. Then she figured out the phone's issue - she was in WALKING mode.

We finally arrived, and then found out how appropriate that walking mode was. We parked at recommended coordinates, though we were tempted to drive closer, but wanted to play fair and be nice to the park. So we hiked in and enjoyed another water view. Of course, as we headed back to the car, someone else had driven in past our parking area - we wondered if we could hitch a ride back, but figured we'd get to the car faster than waiting on them, if they were cachers - they were not. In spite of all this, we really enjoyed that walk from where we parked - it's so unusual for us to experience the total peace and quiet of the lack of humanity in this area. I've only experienced it in the wilds out west, so this was a VERY pleasant surprise. TFTC!
Difficult paths often lead to beautiful places.
Callie's_Krewe
MGS Member

Post by Callie's_Krewe »

Found on 3/22/2014
First CAM of 2014! It was overcast and windy, but at least it wasn't all the way in Ocean City! [:D] We linked up with GardenNClay and I am just the driver. Then we ran into ZorroBarnes on his way out. Yep, CAM Day 1 is sure to bring out all the MD hardcore cachers. We got to GZ and I spotted it fairly quick, then gave a few loud "ahem"s to try and get Callie's Boy to look that way. We signed the log and headed on over to the bonus cache.
tabbikat
MGS Member

Post by tabbikat »

4/13/14 - A beautiful and warm day to do a couple of CAM caches. Evanspack and I enjoyed the walk to the cache and continued to the bonus cache. Thanks for an enjoyable walk today! :D
Foofinders
MGS Member

Post by Foofinders »

Returned to finish CAM with HunterHayley23. Despite having been here with Lynchtrekkers, HH23 was unavailable to do the first round, so, back we came! Enjoyed the beautiful weather and family time. TFTC!
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

4-14-14

Robinjoy and I headed for the Eastern Shore around 8:15 this morning. We arrived at Wye Island about 2 hours later and happily ran into a couple of cachers just coming back from the cache. They pointed us down the correct path, and we easily found our way to this cache and then headed further around to the bonus cache. NO mishaps, no "stories"... just 2 signed logs and a very pleasant stroll! Thanks for nice caches!

When we left here we went on to Hoopers Island and found the 2011 cache -- that was awesome! Loved the drive! :smt007
zombieiz
MGS Member

Post by zombieiz »

Found on the 29th with the Zombie Horde. But a little rain never hurt anybody!
ZombieLena
MGS Member

Post by ZombieLena »

it was raining but that dose not stop the zombie horde.
dcdawn
MGS Member

Post by dcdawn »

4/12 Second CAM 2014 cache of the day with a few quick geo-stops between Jefferson Patterson and Wye Island. It was a gorgeous spring day and the parking lot was almost full, with many others (some of them geocachers?) enjoying the wonderful weather. I made the mistake of not checking my coordinates with the trailhead coordinates and set out on the wrong trail. Oh well, it was an enjoyable trail and I did get the chance to scare a snake (okay, maybe it scared me, too). The snake and I both survived the encounter, but shortly thereafter I realized I wasn't getting any closer to GZ. I bushwhacked through the thicket to reach a lovely open area and it wasn't long before I had the cache in hand. Thanks for showing me a lovely MD park and helping me acquire another smilie!
Oma S
MGS Member

Post by Oma S »

Last cache for me. Found it late yesterday. Thankfully, we didn't get locked in.

Cache and log in good condition. Got CAM info. SL. See you at the picnic.
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

CAM cache #8 for us for 2014. We brought Pat Rock (Pat - Abby’s cousin, my nephew) with us today on our great big counterclockwise circle around Baltimore. This was the first cache (of 3 CAM caches plus 2 bonus caches) we found.

I left a CAM 14 pin. Now heading north to Kent County.

TFTC!
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

This was my 1st of three today. When I arrived at the parking area, I assumed I knew which path to take, and sure enough, I was wrong. As luck would have it, when I was approaching GZ, I heard the distinctive sound of an ammo can closing... Met 2 cachers returning from the hide. They kindly told me the short way back to the parking lot...

While I was taking care of signing the log and recording the letter. I heard the sounds of a group of cachers approaching. I didn't want to spoil their search anymore than necessary. So I froze until the lead lady realized I was there and said hello. They could care of their business, and put the cache back where it belonged. :D
SimmyJellers
MGS Member

Post by SimmyJellers »

4/26/2014
Out for a final day of CAM’ing with my 2 best caching buddies, JoshInChains and Charlie the Dog. We had 3 left to find and were going to complete them all today. The weather was perfect and we had a blast all day long. Today was a short day, we didn’t leave North East, MD until 11am and still had plenty of time for the 3 we needed. I think we were done long before sunset, a change for the 3 of us.
We didn’t go the right way, but a quick cut across the field set us on track. Thanks so much for brining us here!
spongebuddies
MGS Member

Post by spongebuddies »

We had a camping trip planned to Elk Neck (yes in Cecil County) for this weekend when we saw the CAM 2014 cache listing and decided to make the finish of our CAM a part of the trip. This was our first for the day, number nine for the CAM. We ran into Cajun51 as we were just coming out of the woods. Had a short chat and then let him on his hunting way. A nice park, but could have picked a bit more picturesque location for the cache. TFTFun!