Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2014 - Kent County

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
Pandamandium
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2014 - Kent County

Post by Pandamandium »

Our last CAM Cache we needed to qualify. This was a short hike but not bad. We got to the GZ and had to look for it a bit but when we expanded our search a little we got it. TFTC the Hide and all the work you did on the cache
hunterKat
Former MGS Officer

Post by hunterKat »

4/11/2014: Our 4th CAM cache today after picking up the southern-most ones. We arrived at parking and watched a couple head off one way with a picnic basket - alikat17 and I decided they were not cachers, so we headed in another direction. Thought about hitching a ride with the guys working on the tractor in the field near parking... We had no idea that this would be the longest hike of the day, and even though the signals kept tempting us to cross fields, we stuck to the paths. As we started to get really close to GZ, we noticed the noise of the river. But it was awfully loud, and I couldn't imagine the river's flow was so strong to cause that - it sounded like a major water fall. Turned out it was a north wind through the trees bringing a cold front. And here we are, in thin T-shirts and the sun dropping low on the horizon, and the car a long way away. We enjoyed the view quickly, stayed back from the edge (that's a long way down!), found and logged quickly, and headed back. It seemed we escaped the wind as we got away from the river, but later it seemed we had drug it with us. However, on the way back, we were treated to some closely soaring eagles - what a sight. We just hoped we weren't being targeted as dinner - there were a lot of eagles, and I don't think they pack-hunt... :lol:
Difficult paths often lead to beautiful places.
Callie's_Krewe
MGS Member

Post by Callie's_Krewe »

Found on 3/22/2014
CAM #2 of 2014! We pulled into the parking lot and sure enough, there's I am just the driver and GardenNClay. I have a feeling we're going to see them a lot today. We hike the 3/4 mile to the cache site and spent several minutes looking for this one before I am just the driver spotted it. Man, we were WAY off. DId the deeds and headed on back to the parking area, passing Dudley Grunt on his way in. See, you're almost guaranteed to see other cachers on Day 1 of CAM.
Foofinders
MGS Member

Post by Foofinders »

Returned to finish CAM with HunterHayley23. Despite having been here with Lynchtrekkers, HH23 was unavailable to do the first round, so, back we came! Enjoyed the beautiful weather and family time. TFTC!
zombieiz
MGS Member

Post by zombieiz »

Found on the 29th with the Zombie Horde. Raining really hard but a little rain never hurt anybody!
ZombieLena
MGS Member

Post by ZombieLena »

it was damp and cold but it was a nice sun set.
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

4-15-14

Robinjoy and I awoke to gray skies, but it was NOT raining, and we left our hotel and headed for the cache. We were feeling confident that rain would hold off long enough for us to get this one... and not get wet! HA! We no sooner arrived at parking than the drops started showing on my windshield. :lol: We sucked it up, and she put on her "water resistant" jacket and grabbed her umbrella. I had brought no rain gear and just planned on being wet. It was still warm this morning so that was good! We made the hike in, and as the rain got a little harder she offered ME her umbrella. Eventually I took her up on it! It really didn't matter. By the time we got to the cache, the umbrella was broken and we were both WET! We found the cache - held the broken umbrella over IT to keep it dry while we signed the log, took a couple of pictures near GZ, decided this was NOT a cache I would bring the grandkids to... waaaaay too scary for me, and headed on back to the car. By the time we were at the car, we were thoroughly saturated, but all we had left to get was Joppa.... and we were on our way!

Sadly, Joppa ended up having to wait until another day -- by the time we arrived in the vicinity, the rain was what my good friend Sue (of Suedunkirkduo) calls a FROG CHOKIN' rain! Really I think it was more like a frog DROWNING rain! RJ and I still have a "little bit" of common sense about us... we said "nah" and headed home! :lol:
dcdawn
MGS Member

Post by dcdawn »

4/12 Third CAM 2014 cache of the day and I was a little concerned I might run out of daylight (I did NOT want to spend the night in my geo-mobile). Fortunately I met four geocachers who had just completed their find and they assured me I'd have more than enough time. The day had warmed up considerably, so the very pleasant trail began to seem a little long. The beautiful water view not too far from GZ and the lure of another smilie definitely made the trek worthwhile. On the way back I remembered a concrete bridge…the perfect seating area for a short water break. By the time I got there a family of geocachers (complete with stroller) were approaching and the two boys apparently had the same idea. We shared the bridge and had a nice chat before heading our respective ways. I very much enjoyed this natural area, but I was definitely ready to start my drive home. Thanks for taking me to a place I never would have seen but for geocaching and CAM 2014!
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

On Thursday 04/17/2014 my wife and I decided to take the morning to get this last CAM 2014 cache. It was a sunny, but cool day and we had an uneventful drive to the area. We brought Kasey our foster dog and she enjoyed the long walk to the cache. This was our first time in this area of Maryland. Enjoyed the view from GZ. TFTH.
Oma S
MGS Member

Post by Oma S »

I found this cache yesterday with my son. I have enjoyed looking for this series with each member of my family. The drive and walks allow for plenty of casual conservation you can't do with the busyness of life.

Cache and log in good condition. SL. TFTC. God bless the CO.
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

4/8 Went out to find this one with our son in law on the way to go fishing. We were out here a few years ago looking for a previous CAM that was gone at the time so we knew we had a long walk out. There is a pretty view at the end of the journey.
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

CAM cache #9 for us for 2014. We brought Pat Rock (Pat - Abby’s cousin, my nephew) with us today on our great big counterclockwise circle around Baltimore. This was the third cache (of 3 CAM caches plus 2 bonus caches) we found.

As we got close to the cache, I heard the telltale beep that said my GPS batteries were getting low. I asked the kids to just walk straight for the cache and that we could check out more of the sights after we found the cache. Well, the batteries held out all the way back to the car, so there was really no need to worry.

After finding the cache, Pat Rock and AbbaDabba waded in the river for a bit. At the time, they said the water was freezing cold. On our way back to the car, they tried to act like it was a lot warmer than it was, but if you had seen them shivering, you wouldn’t have believed a word they said.

We heard a series of very big booming noises. It almost felt like you could feel the vibration in your body. It was definitely across the river. We couldn’t see anything going on to account for the noise.

After this, we headed up and over to the Joppa Iron Works Relics cache.

TFTC!
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

This was 2 of 3 for me today. I had to stop for gas and lunch on the way. So, I met the 2 groups of cachers from Wye's cache as they were departing. Also, I met up with a lone cacher, and a family of cachers.

This time, I followed the right patch straight to GZ.
SimmyJellers
MGS Member

Post by SimmyJellers »

4/26/2014
Out for a final day of CAM’ing with my 2 best caching buddies, JoshInChains and Charlie the Dog. We had 3 left to find and were going to complete them all today. The weather was perfect and we had a blast all day long. Today was a short day, we didn’t leave North East, MD until 11am and still had plenty of time for the 3 we needed. I think we were done long before sunset, a change for the 3 of us.
This was our 10th and final CAM cache! Woohoo, we are done. This was my favorite of the day. The sun was starting to go down behind some amazing, menacing storm clouds. It made for great photos (I hope). We spent a lot more time here than it took to find the CAM. Wandered down to the water afterwards and goofed around for another half an hour. Thanks for bringing me to another place I probably would not visit without CAM!
spongebuddies
MGS Member

Post by spongebuddies »

Our final 2014 CAM Cache, and the latest we have ever finished. We decided to do the two Eastern Short ones during a camping trip we had scheduled to Elk Neck State Park near North East. A beautiful day, and a very interesting drive out to the parking waypoint. We ate some lunch in the Geotruck, and while we were eating deepdish23 drove up and got ready for the hike. We ended up meeting up with him a bit down the path since neither he nor us realized who the other were-- we had only met once before while we were doing the Morgan Run cache. We had some good conversation for the lengthy hike. Found pretty easily so we hid it a bit better than we found it. TFTfun!