Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2014 - Kent County

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
deepdish23
MGS Director

CAM 2014 - Kent County

Post by deepdish23 »

You may log caches for CAM here. No spoilers please! On May 3rd you will be able to log them on geocaching.com
ameliagrace
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2014 - Kent County

Post by ameliagrace »

We made our way to this CAM cache and I got to ride on Daddy's back. It was so fun. We also ran into The Dam Trolls, Mommy and Daddy told me they are the ones who go them into Caching. We found the cache easily and took a group photo. I brought a long a frog that we found in a bonus cache, and I brought it with me to every CAM cache I did today. On the way out we ran into more cachers. 2 CAM caches done 8 more to go..
USN Radio Chief
MGS Member

Post by USN Radio Chief »

BaltoAndrew and I got started a day late. We got up this morning left Baltimore, and drove out to Kent County. We first stopped at the nearby CJS cache and then out to the CAM cache. While walking out to the cache we took a wrong turn (gee whiz, I bet that's what the trailhead coords were for - I should have used em but did not) and ended up with a .2 mile unnecessary bushwhack through an awful mess of briers and bamboo. I have a new mantra -- "I will use the trailhead coordinates." As we emerged from the thicket onto the trail at the top of the ridge there stood GOVT1985. The three of us looked around and Govt made the find. A good way to start 2014 CAM -- Thanks so much for placing a CAM cache in Kent County; hopefully more folks can finish the Delorme and Maryland Counties challenges now, as that square seemed to be a hard one for me anyway. Thanks for the cache! Man, it feels good to be back on the CAM trail!
dixiegurl827
MGS Member

Post by dixiegurl827 »

CAM 2 of 6 for the day. After visiting Joppa Iron Works CAM, we decided to head to the Eastern Shore and grab those two over there. We stopped by for a quick bite to eat and off we went, feasting and talking the entire way. Road trips are always better with friends. We had made it to the parking coordinates. Many other cars were there, but no signs of anybody. We hopped out of the truck and made the long journey to GZ, meeting up with the other cachers as they were on the return trip. We made it there and grabbed the cache and the code letter needed for the picnic. Nice view from the cache, but don't get too close. That is one heck of a drop! The cliff, although only 40' or so, was enough to make me shaky and a little sick as i peered over the edge. I won't look there again. This is definitely NOT a cache which should be attempted at night. Thanks for the CAM cache! On to the next!
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

CAM Cache find #2 - #5 of 15 for the day, 6 of which were CAM 2014 caches. I spent the day in the wizard and Suzanne mobile along with CodyHollowFarm for a fun-filled first day of CAM caching. We signed the logs with WSSC AAF to conserve space. [:)]

We made our way out to GZ and was glad the wind wasn't too bad. Passed a very large foundation on the way to GZ that looked like it had been there a long time. Wow, what a view and quite a drop off there. TNLN TFTC
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

3/22/2014
CAM #2

After leaving CAM Wye Island we headed to this cache. Made it to the parking lot and was getting everything ready for the hike when The Dam Trolls showed up and we took the nice hike with them to the cache site. Loved the view from the site. On the way back to the car we ran into Codyhollowfarm, Wizardofmd, and SfcChaz making their way to the CAM site and ran back into our neighbors at from the previous cache.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

3/29 CAM#7
Lesson learned, pay attention to the waypoints. Not that we minded the extra .36 each way hike on the wrong trail, but the pouring rain and howling winds really punished us for ignoring the waypoints. We figured out our error and enjoyed a really pretty view at the final. That is a special cache. We especially enjoyed our hike with one of the Troll clan. Thanks for a really memorable and fun cache.
Kame Troll
MGS Member

Post by Kame Troll »

Although the rain had let up by this cache, the temp had dropped and the winds had picked up. We got distracted by the ranger and followed him, yeah, it's HIS fault...well, maybe a little bit of us being distracted...but I got lots of steps today, so it's all good. The view! the view is stunning, and I was happy to cross another off the list.
"Not all those who wander are lost" JRR Tolkien
spikep
Former MGS Officer

Post by spikep »

30 March 2014 - The Zombie Horde was still drying out from the the last cache arrived at parking and began our wet hike to GZ. Not reading the cache page properly, we took a right when we should have gone straight. We ended up in the middle of a corn field where we bumped in to some other lost cachers. We then decided to look at our GPS units and realized our error. We hiked through the corn field until we got back to the easy to follow path to the cache. Crugeman, ZombieIz, ZombieLena and I got near GZ and saw the huge cliff. Even in the rain, it was an amazing view.
Snurt
MGS Director

Post by Snurt »

Kent County – 3/29/2014

Upper Eastern Shore Mud – Mud as far as the eye can see. Tippy-toeing, or trying to tippy-toe from grassy hillock to grassy hillock was just too much effort. Give it up…just slog along. Journey and I made a game of avoiding mud puddles, and who should we encounter halfway to our destination but the Boccos and Marley Creek Trolls. Again we received pertinent routing information, thank you. The rains came and went, from drizzle to torrent and back.

At GZ, Journey immediately wanted to find a path down the beach. Instead we entered upon some photos at ‘the tree’ which appears in most caching photos of this particular spot (see photos on FB). Journey went on to find the cache, make some swag swaps. We took a photo of the secret rune. And again, Journey suggested we find a way to beach, so he could look for shells and shark teeth. I suggested we keep moving on as the rain was increasing and the gusts were working hard to ‘mary poppins’ us horizontally through the mud and primordial ooze. It was turning colder as well.
SoMDVet
MGS Member

Post by SoMDVet »

#9 found 3/30
Rain let up but wind did not and it was cold. Nice muddy trek to GZ. Wonder what it was like back here when the lodge was still standing.
Udderly
MGS Member

Post by Udderly »

#3 for today, 30 March, 2014, #6 overall. Man, it was cold and wet, the entire time I was out of the car. And so far, the longest walk. Made my way to the first cache relatively easily, and a quick find. Decided to go for the next nearby cache, not realizing it had been not found for a while. It also looked like the easiest way to get there may be along the beach. It wasn't too bad, glad my feet were already wet and muddy, though I was kind of afraid of pushing the shore farther out into the water after they had cleaned up a bit, lol. I also didn't realize I would have to walk .14 mile past the second cache to find the trail back up to it. Oh well, quite an adventure, and I had a couple of hours to dry out and warm up on the way home. Mileage total, 450 today.
TheLoneBaker
MGS Member

Post by TheLoneBaker »

After my experience at Joppa I was expecting the worst as I made my way here. And now I seem to be heading into the middle of nowhere. Quite literally. I reach the management entrance waypoint and turn onto? This is a road??? I make my way through extremely slowly as the car I was using didn't seem to have any stabilizers or whatever you call them... That car was bouncing around like a million bobbleheads took on a life of their own. I'm weaving left and right trying to avoid the biggest of the buried potholes. Finally I reach the parking area and find it deserted. Except for a car with a horse trailer hitched up to it. Somehow I don't think they are caching though. I embark on the walk to the cache and see the footprints of the horses and try and find a way with them as a guide as to what the best places to walk are thanks to all the mud and water. I soon get to where all the paths intersect and I'm tempted to veer off and cut across what seems like an empty field. But it's so soaked with mud and water that I quickly decide otherwise.

I follow the path and from there the rest of the trek wasn't really not too bad. I didn't take any wrong turns and there weren't many real puddles of water or mud to contend with. But then I reach ground zero. I start my search and I keep being led to the same area but can't for the life of me find the cache. I walk around in circles and read the hint but no luck. I'm really starting to get annoyed now since this should be an easy find. Finally I get to the point where I'm about ready to attempt to load up the forums to see who I can call for some help. But I can't bear the idea of needing to phone a friend for a CAM cache. So I look a little more. EUREKA!!! I finally find the cache. How did I not see this? Although it wasn't quite where my GPS was leading me.

Once again the inside is pretty wet with water. The log though once again is mostly dry and easily signable. So I sign and take note of the letter and then make my way out. The horses and riders are in the parking lot when I get back and they say hello as I pass them. I didn't realize they could fit that many horses in that horse trailer thing though. And now I'm ready to head off to the next cache thinking to myself how odd it is that once again I didn't encounter a single fellow geocacher. But then while driving down the road of potholes I pass a car going the other way and inside is just a single driver and we wave as we pass. Probably another cacher but then again maybe not. Anyways, now it's off to Wye Island whose road I'm hoping is open.

Thanks for the cache and the stunning view.
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

I met up with BraxPack early in the morning with the goal of obtaining three CAM caches. We ended up with four + several bonuses. Travel time from our last cache at Gunpowder to this one was nearly three hours. I think we were pretty wind-burned after hiking to this one.

What a view! Some of the contents were soaked and the cache was wet. We did our best to clean out the container - leaving a couple of really wet items outside (hidden) to dry. Tazscouter was not too far behind us - thinking she would put them back. This was CAM #8. Found at 2:36PM. TNLN TFTC!
WJ family
MGS Member

Post by WJ family »

Got to the park just after 10 this morning. (good thing I slept in...I didn't realize it opened late!) Great view...but very steep! Saw a couple other groups in the parking lot as I was leaving.
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

I met up with SueCat and Phoenixfyre76 to grab the Eastern caches today. Nice drive from Joppa Iron Works to here. The cache showed about 0.63 from parking but we ended up logging about 1.75 round trip due to the trail system there. We passed ExtremeJeep on the way in and visited for a short bit. We got to GZ and marveled at the wonderful view and precipitous drop. Then, we figured we'd make a quick find of the cache and dash off. Well, with three GPSrs going, we all went to the same GZ but there was no cache there. It took us a few minutes and some spreading out before I saw it. XJ had done a nice job of covering it up and the coords were off for the three of us on this particular day. The inside was quite damp so I dried it out (always carry a bandana) and took all of the SWAG out to let it air dry. None of it was too bad except for the paper items, like some signature cards and the page that was taped to the side. Sorry but it wasn't usable and I knew it would just keep the inside of the cache damp. As we were putting all the pencils back in, Scott noticed that they had CAM 2014 engraved on them. What a fun idea! We each had to have one. Thanks so much for that idea. On the way back, we ran into several other cachers and had some nice chit-chats. Thanks so much for the CAM cache.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
rynamon
MGS Member

Post by rynamon »

Made this find on 3/30. I had plans to get this on saturday but had to cut my aggressive list in half due to the soggy weather. I couldn't let the weekend end without finishing up my list, even though the weather was even worse than the day before! I spent a good bit of time in Elk Neck State Park before heading over here, so I was thoroughly soaked once I finally found parking and began the trek to GZ. I was super excited when I turned a corner and saw the abandoned(ish?) building so I had to stop and snap some pics before continuing on my way. I could see from the muddy footprints that I wasn't the first to make the trip in the nasty weather, but I was the sole crazy person out on the trail as the rain began to turn to snow (can't catch a break) but I didn't care when I saw the surprise awesome view at GZ. Made the quick find and took some pics before hurrying back to the car so that I could get home, pick up Mr. R and make it to a Maker's Event in Collegeville (we were only an hour late - good thing it was a long one!)...no wonder I'm always so exhausted after the weekend!
LynchTrekkers
MGS Member

Post by LynchTrekkers »

The last of three finds on Saturday April 5. We camped/froze out with the cub scouts at Elk Neck State Park. The distance to the Kent Island cache from our camp site was 7.65 miles as the crow flys. Took us an hour by car. Shoulda brought a boat!
sota307cacher
MGS Member

Post by sota307cacher »

#8 of 10! Found 6 April at 1:10 pm. I should have gotten off my but yesterday but I am still recovering from MOGA last weekend so I decided to lay around the house on Saturday and get up this morning and finish out CAM..... mission success! This was the second CAM cache on my list today. Every CAM trip is interesting because I am usually working with three separate devices to find this caches. I consider myself pretty tech savvy but I guess I am just too lazy to load TOPO on my GPSr so I use my phone and car GPS to get me to parking and then I use my GARMIN Dakota to walk me in the last mile (so to speak). This cache had a wonderful walk in and out and I picked a great day to do it with some wonderful weather. I passed Cache$King, SueCat, and Phoenix on the way in but enjoy the last half mile with Mike Ott. The placement location lends to a wonderful view so I snapped a bunch of photos. Just as we were replacing the cache we were greeted by Ozzie1602 father and son team. We all walked back together and I learned some new things as always about caching still to come for me. One cache closer to the picnic. S3C out!
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found 4-11-14 at 2:10 pm (approx.) CAM #8

What a difference a couple of weeks make! Today we set out to grab three more CAM caches and there was no snow, or driving rain or freezing temperatures. When the CAM caches were first published, I don't think we realized how far up this one was as we were more focused on the western caches. Can't say we've ever been to this little corner of Kent County.
Once we arrived at the parking we double-checked and triple-checked the waypoints so as not to make any mistakes like we had previously.

Almost got a little sweaty hiking out to this cache with the sun beating down on us. Felt a lot better than hiking in the pouring rain. Great spot with the steep cliffs which we carefully admired. Checked out the old buildings and tried to figure out why one of them contained some frying pans attached to bamboo stakes.

Beautiful peaceful spot and it really felt like spring with the farm equipment working out in the fields.
TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)