Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2014 - Green Ridge Forest

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
deepdish23
MGS Director

CAM 2014 - Green Ridge Forest

Post by deepdish23 »

You may log caches for CAM here. No spoilers please! On May 3rd you will be able to log them on geocaching.com
cycleangela
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2014 - Green Ridge Forest

Post by cycleangela »

This was the first stop of the day for us on the CAM trails. After hearing rumors of the snow out here, I was worried about being able to get my car through here, but made it without any trouble. I enjoyed the scenery along the drive to the cache. The dog and I made the quick walk to the cache, and we headed on out to the far west CAM to finish our day. Thanks for the cache!
cycleangela & geo-dogs Princess and Spazzy (aka Blue)
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found 3-22-14 1:40 pm (approx) CAM #2
Unlike last year where we finished CAM in 4 days, this year we are spreading it out and decided to spend the weekend in Western MD because honestly we just don't get out here enough.
Drove out from the farthest western CAM cache. Enjoyed the drive in on the unpaved roads. GPSrs disagreed on one fork in the road that might have increased our journey by quite a bit but we made the correct decision and arrived at the parking shortly thereafter.
Neat spot for a cache with nice views from the parking area.
Might have to come back and investigate this area more some day. Thank you for bringing us here and TFTC!
Last edited by mortards on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

This was Robinjoy's and my first cache of the day today. The drive up really had us wondering what we might be IN FOR when we arrived at the parking area. It wasn't too bad - and we ran into some Zombies and LPYankeefan and Tazscouter, and a bunch o' folks! We would run into some of them again later in the day as well! This was a good start, and nice little "warm up" - having NO idea what lay ahead of us! :lol:
hunterKat
Former MGS Officer

Post by hunterKat »

Found 3/22/14 at 2pm
This was our second CAM cache today, and 4th find on the day. This one by far was a lot easier than the earlier one for us, and we were very glad to find the area had no snow remaining. Matilda (the Nuvi) wanted to take us in to this from Flintstone, and I cannot figure out why, especially after taking the wrong side of the fork from Fifteen Mile Creek Road and seeing where that was going before we were able to turn back - no where near where we wanted to be. We made quick work of this, and had to wonder about the door and window bars on a very small house we passed on the way out.
Difficult paths often lead to beautiful places.
SoMDVet
MGS Member

Post by SoMDVet »

#2 found 3/22/14
After we left the main road and turned into mud, i was wondering if it was the right way especially after hearing gun shots way too close. Kept going and knew it was right when we saw Calvertcachers truck in the parking area. Made a quick grab and off to the next one. On way out got stuck behind a hunter that was going way too slow and would not let me pass until we got on the interstate. Very frustrating!
WVKiwi
Former MGS Officer

Post by WVKiwi »

After one successful CAM find and a stop for breakfast, our caravan headed west towards Green Ridge. A turn at one junction took us apparently on the longer route (apparently some GPSs route a slightly quicker way as MDFirecacher & Kitakima proved here -- being behind us and then suddenly getting in front of us), but nonetheless our train of 4 vehicles all made it without difficulty to the parking area. A short stroll brought us to gz where our two friends already had the cache in hand and we also encountered OhMelli and Robinjoy. We said hellos, chatted a bit and then bid them farewell (at least until another encounter later in the day), and headed back to the vehicles. While on scene, did grab a munzee and at least one of our group grabbed a tick also (yes, watch for hitchhikers here), but otherwise we were soon back on the road and continuing west. Now 2 CAM caches down, 8 to go! :)
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

Arrived here with 13 others, after a stop for breakfast. We drove, drove and drove on these gravel roads. Then the trees cleared and there was an awesome view! Ran into two others at the cache. Found the cache, penned all of our names to the log, took some pictures, and headed back to the cars. We made our plan of attack for the next cache. Quick find. Thanks for bringing me here, I had no idea this huge forest was located in Maryland.
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

Second CAM cache for us! We ran into Hitech and GeoTessy at the parking and we all ventured together! This was quite the experience though after leaving. The roads were really interesting! The cache was a quick and easy find, although the trudge back up to parking wasn't as quick! We decided not to back track to get 2 caches and that messed up my route planning. The GPS then took me through some long windy steep roads through the camping area! It was kind of fun in my Xterra, but it was too much for Pyro1970's truck. We broke the motor and had to leave it back at campsite 76. Wow! We decided to cache on and were rewarded with a great view at Point Lookout before leaving the area! Thanks for brining us here! SL TFTC
sota307cacher
MGS Member

Post by sota307cacher »

(Should have posted yesterday but I was too tired) Green Ridge was #3 CAM for me today (22Mar14). I was heading back east from Muddy Creek and chose poorly while trying to navigate with my GPSr that has no TOPO loaded and my android that shows the roads. I ended up on some goat trails in my 2WD Ranger. After lookin at what seemed like every tree on the mountain I finally made my way to the cache site. Parked nearby and rushed down to the cache site (remember I am on the clock for a cable install at 3 in eldersburg). I passed and said hello to Mortards on the trail and then grabbed the smiley. Nice hide. I ran back to the truck and actually left before Mortards could even pull out. 3 down and 7 to go. CAM picnic here I come. S3C out. :smt004
Joshinchains
MGS Member

Post by Joshinchains »

This was the second stop for Simmyjellers, Charlie the dog, and I. Beautiful view! We made the grab rather quickly than Jimmy busted out his camera ad started snapping pictures. I played with Charlie while he mumbled on about lighting and HDR techniques. We made one other find on the way out and and set the gps machine for Quirauk Mountain. Thanks for bringing us here.
3/22
Last edited by Joshinchains on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
spikep
Former MGS Officer

Post by spikep »

The Zombie Horde arrived with a big caravan of cars filled with geocachers. Some got to the parking area faster than others... It was a nice short hike to GZ where we bumped in to some other CAMers. Everyone was still in high spirits so we pushed further west. 2 down, 8 to go!
Udderly
MGS Member

Post by Udderly »

My 2nd CAM of 2014, and the last of the day, for 22 March. Followed my GPS guidance straight to the cache. What is this? No 3 hour hike required? This isn't a CAM cache - - or is maybe even better? Ran into 2 gentlemen, looking for camping sites, and they were pretty interested in what I was doing, so I took them along. On returning to the vehicle, turned around, and what a great view. Thanks!
rynamon
MGS Member

Post by rynamon »

This was the second stop of the day once I had picked up the rest of my crew after grabbing Muddy Creek while they slept (slackers). The ride up to GZ was entertaining and the view from parking was breathtaking. The pups were happy to frolic as we walked to the cache, which was found quickly, and they rolled around a bit before getting back in the car to head to the next stop on our epic journey.
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

Day 2 of CAM 2014 on Sunday, March 23, 2014, this was our 5th CAM cache. My wife, who is not as avid a cacher as I, was looking forward to CAM this year and we had a great, but tiring weekend. After getting 16 caches yesterday, including 3 of the new CAM caches, we stayed in Frostburg overnight. We woke to a cold, breezy morning. We went to Muddy Creek first where we encountered a light snowfall. We then came to this mountain and made the find. This was our first time on this mountain. TFTH.
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

3/22/14 - After finding Quirauk Mountain and eating breakfast, the caravan of 4 vehicles with a dozen or more geocachers headed for Greenridge. Once off the exit, I went left and everyone else went right. No cell signal to determine reason but everyone eventually made it to the right spot. Left pathtag. TFTC!
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

The family was headed out for a final ski weekend and we stopped here on the way. I drove many miles in this forest in my younger years. Always cool to see the woods before the green starts growing. The kids and I made the quick find after the short hike. No snow on the ground out here either. The cache didn't have much swag left so I put a micro and some CAM 2014 pathtags. Thanks for the CAM cache!
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
Pyro1970
MGS Member

Post by Pyro1970 »

Nice cache. Very scenic ride. Will go back and explore this area more but not til
A new engine is in my truck. Enjoying The CAM.
Using Tapatalk
spongebuddies
MGS Member

Post by spongebuddies »

Shew! Mr. SB tried to outsmart the GPS to avoid too much four-wheeling... he made it worse. Mrs. SB was a trooper driving the truck down what, at best, was a logging road. We said more than once that this couldn't be the "passable by a normal car except in the worst weather," route. It was sprinkling a bit when we got to the parking. We saw a few folks already at GZ, but needed to get the job done as we were running late getting our camper out of the nearby storage. We found PonyGirl and PonyGirl's mom and another gentleman there, chatted a short bit and signed the log. As it was a chilly rain, we then headed back for cover. Thanks for bringing us here, we hope to explore more in the future.
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

3/29/14

After grabbing Muddy Creek earlier in the day, HoneyBadger34 and I headed to this cache to finish the Western portion of CAM. We were able to get to parking before the rain started and we took our time walking to GZ so we can stretch out legs. We made the find fairly and headed back on the road. I was a little worried about the roads but they turned out fine here. It is a nice area.