Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2015 - Rachel Carson Conservation Park

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
LestISmiteThee
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2015 - Rachel Carson Conservation Park

Post by LestISmiteThee »

Got this cute one today and met more cachers along the way! Coconut the Corgi-mix had a great time climbing a bunch of logs :D
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found 4-4-15 at 7:10 pm, CAM #9

We were on the fence today about whether to do a CAM cache as it was quite windy in the early afternoon and we had various chores to do today. This is the closest CAM to our house so it is a relatively quick drive to get here. We finished up yard work for the day and figured we had enough sun light to make it here and grab the CAM as well as the two bonus caches.
I had mixed feelings about this CAM cache. I knew the CO would do a good job with it but we've been to this park so many times for other caches, I wasn't quite looking forward to it as much as some of the other parks we had never been to. I think really we take this park for granted being close to our house and having been here several times. Turned out we were pleasantly surprised by the CAM cache and it really was quite enjoyable and well done.
The hike to the cache was nice. Not too hot outside and not as cool and windy as it had been earlier. The sun cast a warm glow through the trees as we hiked towards the hidden pond. We too were reminded of the snake pit cache even though we never looked for it. It was a bit marshy back here today but we managed to make it to GZ without getting muddy at all. The cache site was well chosen with the creek and ponds around it as well as the nearby bath tub. Lots of visual interest here and plenty of great spots to hide the cache. Not to mention the swamp cabbage is coming in nicely!
Al spotted the hide quickly and uncovered the nicely decorated container. We did our business... took a picture with Al standing in the bath tub and then headed out to find the two bonus caches.
The bonus caches were also well done and entertaining.

Thank you for another great CAM experience! Only one more CAM cache to go!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

spikep
Former MGS Officer

Post by spikep »

4/4 CAM CACHE #10!!!! Another year of CAM is complete. We enjoyed the final hike of the day and we were tired. We'd been on the move since 0530 and it was now around 1700. The morale was high and the kids enjoyed the area. Loved the bathtub near GZ, I was looking for a full size game of mousetrap :)
zombieiz
MGS Member

Post by zombieiz »

4 April - Final CAM Cache! The weather was nice and the hike was great.
ZombieLena
MGS Member

Post by ZombieLena »

Found with the Zombie Horde. This was my final CAM 2015 cache.
thewoodenradio
MGS Member

Post by thewoodenradio »

04-06 Rachel Carson Park

Arrived about 10 to find a parking lot not quite full, but no chacher cars in evidence. Part way up the first path we came across a dog-meet and greet. A German shepard, large size Poodle, and a very friendly Burmese Mountian Dog. After talking with the dog owners and giving proper attention to the four-footed muggles, we continued on. The cache was an easy find
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

Pretty much the most perfect weather for geocaching (or being alive and outside). I brought some friends and their two young daughters, all of whom had never been geocaching before. I figured a CAM cache would be a good intro as CAM caches are guaranteed quality caches. Ran into Joe Jackson on the way in (Hey Joe!) who was awesomely patient with us and the little girls as we slowly made our way to the GZ. Great cache.
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Caught up with PatientRock and his crew just as we were leaving the parking lot. We all had a nice walk along the trail. Looks like we converted a soon-to-be-ex-muggle, but I admit that I didn’t play fair when I gave CAM ‘15 pins to the little geocacher-in-training girls and then handed them my GPS receiver!

I think we took the long way around at the very end as we were closing in. We made more water crossings than we needed to. I dropped a CAM 15 pin and a CAM 15 pathtag into the cache.

7 CAM caches found, 3 to go!
trev
Former MGS Officer

Post by trev »

4/11 Finished up our CAM today with this cache.

Captain Mermaid and 006
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

After spending the morning doing some much-neglected yardwork, I was happy to hit the CAM trail again in the afternoon. This park is only 30 minutes from us.. relatively close compared to the other CAM 2015 caches (besides Whitemarsh). We arrived at around 3:00pm and took the short walk out to the cache. The final 200’ were pretty swampy.. when you see skunk cabbage, you know the going is about to get muddy. :) No issues getting to GZ, though, and that container is awesome! Very nice paint job. After signing in and recording the clue, we continued our hike down to the river, where the kids spent a good hour playing around on the rocks and getting soaked in the process. Thanks for the great hide, and for introducing us to this park.. we’ll definitely be coming back. 8 down out of 10.. coming down the home stretch!!
Trainbug
Former MGS Officer

Post by Trainbug »

Easy walk to the cache though I was a little confused as the cache page says go North and my GPs said to go South. As their was no way to go North I followed the GPS and made a quick find.
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

4/18 #9 We came out here this afternoon. I am sure I recognize the area from a cache that was in the pond but was archived a year or so ago. It was nice to come back, loved the painting on the box. After the find we went back to the path and found SPAM then continued around the loop back to the car. Great day, and it was 80 degrees today.
Journey374
MGS Member

Post by Journey374 »

Found on 4-18-15 with jercad,fastangrybird,jubullfrog. really nice area and really enjoyed the walk to the cache.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

04/18 #10
Woot!! CAM caches done!!
We had a bit of déjà vu as we passed the “snake pit” on the way in to the cache. Mr. B got a big kick out of the sign which now prohibits going into it – whew, where was that sign back in the day?! The Geeps had a blast here. After Greenbriar they were still talking about the round tuits. When they got to the cache and found TWO round tuits they were over the moon. Mrs. SeeKPeeKRs, you made our day with your CAM swag bag. We dropped off four Geowoodstock pathtags to trade for both of the round tuits that you left. The Geeps were thrilled. The Geeps declared this to be their favorite cache. Thanks for a really fun cache.
SethW
MGS Member

Post by SethW »

The need to travel to Ocean City for the Spring Convention of the Maryland Republican Party brought me out of geocaching semi-retirement to participate in CAM for the first time since 2012. I had a great plan in that I would leave my house early and sweep the caches to the south and east and arrive at the convention hotel in time to register. I stayed up way too late the night before, though, and so I didn't leave anywhere close to the time I was thinking of originally. So after I picked this one up, I'd have to head next to White Marsh, and then on hopefully to Terrapin Beach (alas, the turtle stop was not to be).

One thing I didn't factor in was the need to walk half a mile to get to the cache. I kind of forgot there was something in between the marathon caches I did back in 2013 and the parking lot (almost) cache-and-dash I did for Pi Day. What I can say is that the Hidden Pond was really well hidden, in that I don't think I ever saw it. I also saw some horses but no evidence that horses had been walking along the trail, if you know what I mean. I found the cache with not too much difficulty and was happy to see an ammo can. TFTC! #1 of 10!
Last edited by SethW on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbzdude
MGS Member

Post by dbzdude »

First cache for today, and the eighth overall. I believe there were people riding horses here. It was fantastic, and the hike was great as well. Was it worth it? Obviously, just like all of Geocaching.
ameliagrace
MGS Member

Post by ameliagrace »

4/25/15

I liked this cache. I saw Horses hear. The one horse was loving me. It kept sniffing me while i was trying to pet it. It was cool. The hike to the cache was fun. I saw the bathtub nearby. Daddy and Mommy wouldn't let me play in it. Thanks for the hike. We did a huge walk around the whole park. Starting with the bonus and mommy and daddy had to find this cache called Montgomery ADC challenge since they qualified for it a long time ago. Uncle Cody and i stayed on the trail while they went to look for it. I don't know If I'll qualify for this cache or not. The CAM cache was cool, the container was just the right size and weight for me to lift up and but back in its hidey spot.
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

4/25/2015

We took the long route to the CAM cache. We started with the Bonus Cache this tweets for you and walked towards the SPAM cache and headed for the CAM cache. It was fun. The tub was a nice surprise. We didn't have anything to trade for it. But it definitely will not protect you in the Zombie Apocalypse. But it was a fun CAM cache. Afterwards we took the hike to finish off the Montgomery ADC challenge that we needed to find. :smt006.

#8 out of 10
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
Va_pirates
MGS Member

Post by Va_pirates »

Udderly and I made another cache run on the 26th to finish up the CAM caches. We started the run with this one. A nice walk in the woods led to a quick find. We were able to pick another one up on our wy out,
Udderly
MGS Member

Post by Udderly »

#1 CAM cache of the day Sunday. The plan is to get 5, and complete the challenge today. Will we (VA Pirates and I) make it? TFTH!