Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2015 - Whitemarsh Park

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
BethanyInWonderland
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2015 - Whitemarsh Park

Post by BethanyInWonderland »

You may log caches for CAM here. No spoilers please! On May 2nd you will be able to log them on geocaching.com.
trev
Former MGS Officer

Re: CAM 2015 - Whitemarsh Park

Post by trev »

Captain Mermaid and I were the 2nd "Pair" to find this one around 7:45 this crisp morning. Met a very nice pair of gentlemen as they were signing the log.

Snow still on the ground in Bowie this morning.

Thanks to the hider.
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

#1 3/21/15 Our group was third to find this morning. I am pretty sure we saw Trev leaving as we were coming into the parking lot and we spoke with 2 other cachers in the parking lot before we went on our way. There was still a trace amount of snow and it was difficult to believe the temps would rise to the 60's today. The cache was found as expected and we signed the log with a name for our team. I think we used the name MODPOD for our team of Maryland Ramblers, Death wish Dave, Azarius, Team Red Oak, PhoenixFyre76 and Disney Scout.
Last edited by TeamRedOak on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
unusualsuspect
MGS Member

Post by unusualsuspect »

!!!!!FTF #666!!!!! 03/21/2015
funtime cruisers
MGS Member

Post by funtime cruisers »

2nd CAM cache for us yesterday. Beautiful park. Temps were cooler out then expected as we heard it would go up to 61. More like mid 30s. Heading back to Southern Md for a gig. safe travels everyone!
SoMDVet
MGS Member

Post by SoMDVet »

2 of 5 for the day. 3/21. What! Snow on the ground? Nice hike to the cache. Saw Eagleblazer on way in and met Pinnstef57 at the cache. We traded pathtags, signed the log and departed.
hyperlightdrifter
MGS Member

Post by hyperlightdrifter »

This is our first CAM, and tons of fun! This was our 2nd find for the weekend. Thanks to all who put in the effort to place these :)
Geocaching username: CosmicDustOrb.
SKI_THE_SUMMIT
MGS Member

Post by SKI_THE_SUMMIT »

3rd cache of the day. Went on the wrong trail, but eventually found our way.
LestISmiteThee
MGS Member

Post by LestISmiteThee »

Our first ever CAM cache! We had a great time with our dog in the park, which was in really good shape. It was also our first time using our brand new Oregon 600 and I really liked seeing it count down to the cache foot by foot! It had a little trouble once it got down to 15 or so feet, so we had to use the hint. We apparently walked by it a couple times without noticing it XD It was in great shape with plenty of swag!

A couple photos we took with our dog can be found here and here :D
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

3/21/15
We enjoyed the nice walk to this cache and followed the footprints in the snow to the prize. This was our first CAM 2015 cache. We signed the log Team MADPOD for the initials of our team members. Thanks for hiding this!!!
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

Log for March 23, the 3rd day of CAM 2015.
We planned a 3 or 4 day mini-vacation for the start of CAM. On the 1st day of CAM, Jeanne and geodog Kacey and I were up early. The Rachel Carson Park cache was closest to us, so we headed there first. From there we debated whether to go south and east to avoid the snow, but ultimately chose to go west to enjoy the last, hopefully, of this season's snow :) We ended our first day in Hancock, MD and after a layover we proceeded on Day 2 to get Bear Branch and Kilgore Falls and then headed to Salisbury for the night.
Today, after logging Milburn Landing and Terrapin Beach we considered whether to stay the night somewhere in Calvert County, and get the remainder of the CAM caches the next day. We finally decided to get this one and head home since we were close to home.
We had a pleasant walk to this one, but the hide gave us a little trouble. Took a long time for the GPSr to settle. It would have been quicker had we read the hint, but Jeanne finally spotted the hide. That ended our 3 day mini-vacation and the first 3 days of Spring and of CAM 2015!!
Thanks to the CAM committee and the hiders!
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

Tuesday, March 24
Our second CAM trip began VERY early and ended before dark with 4 CAM caches, 6 other caches and 431 more miles (and more mud) on the Geo-Outback TB.
This was our fourth and last CAM cache planned for today, and an almost restful way to finish, on an easily seen trail with no roots or rocks.
This -- our last walk of the day -- was just a little over a mile and the pretty container was like "dessert" for the day.
We marvelled at the ivy-covered trees and those with unique roots or bark.
Thanks to MGS and the hider for bringing us to this peaceful place!
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

I spent most of the day out on the CAM trail with my son. We found two CAM caches and a few others. Whitemarsh Park was our first stop of the day. There was a bit of a bottleneck getting into the park due to a sporting event, but the area near the trailhead was pretty quiet. We parked, hit the trail, took the short walk to GZ, and made the find after a couple of minutes. Nice job on the container! We signed in, replaced the container, and headed back to the van. Two down out of 10.. on to Calvert Cliffs. TFTC!
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found 3-28-15 at 11:45 am, CAM #5

Not the best day for caching with temps in the low 30s and winds in the 20s but CAM waits for no one! We have an out of town guest this weekend so we only had a few hours today to try and pick up a couple more CAM caches.
We headed off down route 50 and then jumped off to grab this one. The recreation center was pretty busy but once we got past that there were only a few cars near the trailhead. It was interesting to see all the English ivy hanging in the trees. This was a pleasant walk to the cache and we only saw one muggle on the trail. We headed to GZ and made the quick find. Took care of business, left a pathtag and some other stuff and headed back. We did grab the cache on the bridge on the way back.

Thanks for another great CAM cache experience... too bad the weather didn't realize it is Spring.
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

WJ family
MGS Member

Post by WJ family »

Went to this park on the way out to the eastern shore. A very cold day and had tons of problems with GPS satellite reception (on 2 different devices) but despite the spotty signal we did manage to make the find. Met a biker on the way in who told us it was National Bike a Trail day. Not sure we would have enjoyed the extra wind from riding a bike today! :)
Trainbug
Former MGS Officer

Post by Trainbug »

After finding Thomas Stone cache came over here. Saw some cachers starting down the trail from the parking lot and eventually ran into Blader and LoneBaker returning from the cache. So I went and grabbed the cache, signed the log and called it a day so I could watch the Capitals game.
BladenV
MGS Member

Post by BladenV »

Another weekend, another hunt for CAM caches with TheLoneBaker. This was our first cache of this chilly day. We bumped into Trainbug on the way back from the cache and found out that he had worked his way north while we were working south. Nothing too notable about the cache itself, but that seems to be the way many of the CAM caches are shaping up this year. TFTC!
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

3/28/15 - My young son SawyeRR and I hooked up with nomaland again and left our Hagerstown rendezvous point at 05:00. At the time of our departure it was 27 degrees with the forecasted high of 40 with strong winds. Through the entire five cache trip on the Eastern Shore, Lower Shore and Southern Maryland the temperature never got above 38 degrees with occasional snow flurries. The winds would sting our faces as we hiked in places lacking thick foliage or other wind breaks.

Rt 2/4 US301 was good to us on the trip North from Calvert Cliffs. No issues until I had to cross back over to the southbound lane. White knuckles had by all! This was a quaint park with ivy-covered tree trunks which made for some good pictures. We enjoyed the paved trails, bridges and scenery. The setting sun through the trees near GZ made the trip that much more enjoyable. Found at 18:46. Dropped a couple of pathtags and headed out. Nomaland and SawyeRR looked for a micro on a bridge on the way out but fails to capitalize due to darkness (that's our stony and I'm sticking to it). Thanks for the great cache.

We got back home around 21:00 hours. Quite a day but we conquered what we planned.

P.S. As I write this on 3/30, I got some special pathtags in the mail today. A lucky sole may be in possession of one sometime this coming weekend from the WMRT (which is the final CAM cache I need).
zombieiz
MGS Member

Post by zombieiz »

28 March - We arrived at this park and it started snowing on the way to the cache! This was crazy!!!!!!!!!!
ZombieLena
MGS Member

Post by ZombieLena »

28 March - Our last CAM of the day, after crossing the bridge, it started to snow. We found the cache and headed back.