Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2015 - Greenbrier State Park

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
SoMDVet
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2015 - Greenbrier State Park

Post by SoMDVet »

4/4/15 #7 of 10 Wow! The elevation change on the Red trail really lets you know how out of shape you really are. Darn near had to pull Spike up the hill. :lol:
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

I turned this into a nice long bushwhack. I read the listing. I read the previous entries in the forums. I examined the trail maps. “You are here” it said. And I was. But somehow I missed the turn for the red trail.

I continued down the orange trail trying to convince myself that I was looking at red blazes faded by the weather, and that the trail was surely going to turn right soon. Eventually, as the arrow tilted more and more to the right, I came to the realization that orange was orange, not red, and I wasn’t on the red trail, and the trail wasn’t going to take me to the CAM cache. So I picked up “Orange Crush” first, and set myself up for 750 foot bushwhack up the hill.

It turned out to be pretty easy. Mostly open areas to walk through. Soon enough, I got close to the cache. I stopped looking at the GPS and started checking a couple of likely hiding spots. No luck. As I stood in one spot looking around for the next spot to check, I looked down and caught a glimpse of something. Yep, I was standing within 6 inches of the cache. It’s sure hard to find those tiny little containers in the woods! I dropped a CAM 15 pathtag, an MGS Orioles pathtag, and a couple of CAM 15 pins into the cache.

Leaving the cache, I greeted a couple of hikers that were taking the same bushwhack that I just finished. About 400 feet later, I thought to myself that nobody is going to bushwhack up that hill unless they are geocachers looking for the CAM cache. In the parking lot, where I once again ran into DudleyGrunt, the same two hikers came down to their car. Sure enough, they were working on CAM. I probably have this wrong - EliteWar and WeAreGroot - nice to meet you guys.

After reading this to look for typos before hitting the submit button, I realized that I have to type “bushwhack” just two more times to make it a half dozen. So, “bushwhack.”

6 CAM caches found, 4 to go!
barbershop2010
MGS Member

Post by barbershop2010 »

Wow-zer! I'd up the terrain on this one. Dfeifer and I parked at the listed coordinates. We thought we were on the trail but later found out we weren't, i found a route that eventually got us to one of the trails. so sorry dfeifer. I'll make sure we stick to the trail on the way back. OMG!!!! My mistake was a saving grace. No way we could we have done it following the trail originally intended. Hike back was steep and rocky. Lucky for us we found the cache and dont have to come back for this one. CAM #3 of the day and my legs are shaking! Poor dfeifer! We only completed 1 CAM cache last year before his motorcycle accident. His legs taking a beating.
spikep
Former MGS Officer

Post by spikep »

4/4 - This CAM cache really reminds you that you sat on your butt for the winter and should have gotten more exercise. Our legs were screaming by the time we got to the top. On the way back, SOMDVet was crying about his knees and we thought we'd need to medivac him out :)
zombieiz
MGS Member

Post by zombieiz »

4 April - Made the grab with the zombie horde.
fuzzydave
MGS Officer

Post by fuzzydave »

Got this one this afternoon. Parked by the lake and took the long way to gz. Wish I knew there was trail access from the parking lot. Also hit my knee on something under the leaves at gz. Beautiful park, though. Cam 9 of 10!
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

What a gorgeous day for caching! We arrived at the park at around 5:30pm. Being late in the day, the park was not very crowded. We saw a few people fishing on the far side of the lake, but no one else. After checking a trail map, we set out towards the cache. At the first trail fork, we had the option of going uphill or continuing straight. We went up, which turned out to be the right call. After a laborious climb, the trail took us right to the cache. We made a quick find after bushwhacking a short distance. All good with the cache.. I signed in and noted the clue. We found a couple of others on the way back, and then the kids spent some time on the beach. That took us right up to sunset, which as it turns out, is the perfect time to hunt Evil Imps. Thanks for another awesome cache on the 2015 CAM trail.. 7 down, 3 to go!
Udderly
MGS Member

Post by Udderly »

#1 of 4 CAM caches yesterday, 4/12/15. Wow, what a start to the day, lol. Found with VA Pirates. Ran into Bernsa arriving to the parking lot, as we were leaving.
funtime cruisers
MGS Member

Post by funtime cruisers »

Our 5th CAM, 2nd one we found yesterday. Drove here after having found WMRT & bonus caches plus the Bike America cache. Well, getting to the cache was a workout. Agree with Fuzzydave , wish we had know about other trail. Oh well! Found it, signed the log, left swag and grabbed a path tag. This looks a great park to camp at. Might just have to come back again! Lake view was beautiful! On to Bear Branch...
Trainbug
Former MGS Officer

Post by Trainbug »

Too nice a day not to go caching Took the advice from the forums and parked at N39 31.703,
W077 37.577 and enjoyed an easy walk back to the cache.
Zepp914
MGS Member

Post by Zepp914 »

We didn't run into any cachers going to this one. We did park next to an SUV with a TB sticker.

The lake here and the views from some of the nearby caches are fantastic.

Also I am 90% sure I lost my pedometer while adding swag to the CAM cache. If anyone finds it, let me know. Reward is 1 travel bug.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

04/18 #9
At first the Geeps enjoyed playing on the beach and hiking the flat trails, but when it was time to climb up the mountain they became very vocal. Fortunately, the hill flattened out before they declared a mutiny, and then when we found the cache, we saw another cacher and lots of great swag. The other cacher had already nabbed the round tuit coin, but kindly explained what it was to the Geeps. They were fascinated with the idea and a bit jealous as they wanted a round tuit for themselves. They ended up leaving Geowoodstock pathtags in exchange for a Squidward and a little top. One of the Geeps made fast friends with the other cacher and held her hand on the walk down. I think he is looking forward to seeing his friend again on the picnic.
Thanks for the awesome CAM cache. We really enjoyed the little hike and watching the fishermen catch the trout in the recently stocked pond.
Va_pirates
MGS Member

Post by Va_pirates »

#1 for the day on 4-12. Rode with Udderly on a 550 mile run
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

2/25 #10 And we're done! Can't wait to see every one at the picnic. Nice hike today. Thanks to all the hiders. :dance:
dbzdude
MGS Member

Post by dbzdude »

At first, I didn't trust the name of the park originally. GreenBRIER makes me think of briers, which are a common enemy of Geocachers. However, after zigzagging hills I had a better feel of things. This was the 9th CAM cache for Amelia, Coupleocachers and myself. Here we met a cacher by the name SethW. Percievable person he is.
SethW
MGS Member

Post by SethW »

When you hear a little voice say to you: you know, you probably have enough power left in your batteries to make GZ, but maybe you should get the spare batteries just in case--listen to that voice! Don't ignore the voice that says: you know, maybe you should recharge the batteries on your way to the first cache, either. Anyway, I did, and after a direct assault on GZ up the side of the mountain, I had almost made it to the ridge line when--blink! Out went my GPS. So I had to hike it down to my car, where I met up with coupleocachers. So I got some batteries I thought were fully charged and headed in with them. Of course, those batteries weren't charged and my GPS drained them quickly and I was once again without a GPS going up the mountain. But I was tagging along with coupleocachers, so no worries. We made our way to GZ via Orange Crush (which I had found so long ago I can't even remember) and then I wished them luck as they went to find other caches in the park. This park is close to home for me, so I have many smilies here already. I made the direct descent down the mountain towards my car and was on my way to the more remote CAM sites--once again behind schedule! #7 of 10! TFTC!
ameliagrace
MGS Member

Post by ameliagrace »

4/25/15

Daddy was carrying me on his back up the zig zag Orange trail. We stopped off at the cache Orange Crush. The Geotrail here was awesome. We met Seth_Wilson at the parking lot. He was giving us the story of his GPS. He tagged along with us along the trail. Daddy was almost out of breath by the time he reached the top of the orange trail. About 300 feet from the Cache, they let me run to the cache. I was really enjoying the time getting to run around. On the way to the CAM cache I was able to trade out some toys for some more toys. Its awesome to trade. We took our picture and went to walk around the lake. I was getting sleepy and going down the Red Trail was no picnic. Glad we took the Orange Trail. That was a much better hike. Found 3 other caches in the park. We need to come back and do more.

#9 out of 10
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

4/25/2015

When arriving in the park we ran into the other cachers Seth_Wilson. He was telling us he almost made it to the CAM cache but his batteries died halfway there. We hiked up with him and oh boy was the hill tough with AmeliaGrace on Beaus Back. It was a fun hike though. The view of the lake at the top of the Red Trail was awesome, going down it was brutal.

#9 out of 10
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
NJSquirrel
MGS Member

Post by NJSquirrel »

I'm traveling to western Maryland today to pick up some CAM 2015 caches. Along the way I decided to pick up other quality caches to fill in various Delorme and Counties as I go.

This was my fourteenth stop. I decided to grab the Cache Across America first before heading up, up, up the mountain to this one. It's tucked away nicely. Thanks for another CAM.

3 to go...