Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2015 - Bear Branch

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
hunterKat
Former MGS Officer

Re: CAM 2015 - Bear Branch

Post by hunterKat »

4/1/2015
April Fool's day, and I was a fool on this one. Hubby volunteered for a couple hikes today with me (he's still mostly muggle, but slowly coming around!), and we arrived here late in the day, so the bodies and brains weren't in full operating modes. We were very glad this was a relatively short hike. We had been here for the first time about a month or so ago, and thought it was a great place to come back to. I didn't realize it would be so soon, but with CAM in the neighborhood, of course we're back. Now we have even more reason to come back for a really leisurely stroll/visit. Loved this hide, and I am just now realizing I forgot to grab the code - hence the April Fool sitting here typing. We took a more exploratory track back to parking, because hearing peepers really makes my spring - winter is finally gone! We tried to catch sight of them, but it was like someone turned the switch off and they all went silent as we got into the middle of them. That was weird, since I hear them at home after dark. I managed to grab a couple extra finds while here, as well. 3 down, 7 to go.
Difficult paths often lead to beautiful places.
BladenV
MGS Member

Post by BladenV »

Found with TheLoneBaker. This is by far the best CAM container we've found this season! Obviously a lot of effort went into it and I enjoyed the additional surprise inside. :D The lake (more of a pond, really) was pretty and we saw a couple of turtles and ducks on the way back to the car. TFTC!
SoMDVet
MGS Member

Post by SoMDVet »

4/4/15 #8 of 10 Traveling with the Zombie Horde to finish Cam. Enjoyed this short walk after the workout at Greenbrier
spikep
Former MGS Officer

Post by spikep »

4/4 This was our 3rd of 5 CAM caches on the day. The Zombie Horde was tired but we pushed. Got this one done and made our way to Killgore.
zombieiz
MGS Member

Post by zombieiz »

4 April - Made the find with the Zombie Horde. CAM Cache # 8 completed.
ZombieLena
MGS Member

Post by ZombieLena »

Found with the Zombie Horde.
SKI_THE_SUMMIT
MGS Member

Post by SKI_THE_SUMMIT »

Our last cache. We have finished. Have been to this park before so we even had a map to look at. Did 3 other caches while here. Nice, warm day.
thewoodenradio
MGS Member

Post by thewoodenradio »

4/6 Bear Branch

CAM #5 and the second today. After Rachel Carson we stopped at the local Roy Rogers for some refueling, then headed here. I'd been to this park many times, but never kup this hill. As we approached GA I decided to read the hint. So that's what we began looking for. What a container! It took lots of well spent energy to make.
Udderly
MGS Member

Post by Udderly »

#2 of 4 for today 4/12/15. Found with VA Pirates, as my partner in crime for the day.
funtime cruisers
MGS Member

Post by funtime cruisers »

We started out from Southern Maryland at 5:40 Am , went to WMRT, then to Green Briar. This is our 3rd CAM cache for today, 6th CAM so far... We parked at the Nature Center cuz mother nature was calling, then headed parking area closer to GZ. Hit the trails. Found cache, signed log and then got two other bonus caches. Loved the cache containers at this location! Off to Kilgore Falls...
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

4/12 #7
We drove over from Kilgore Falls and saw some very beautiful farmland along the way. We have never seen this part of Maryland before. The farms seem to go on forever. It was a lovely drive.
When we arrived at gz with K9 Geep we all had a big laugh at the container! That was really cool. Thanks for a fun CAM cache.
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

I made a loop along the trails around the lake and came here near the end. As I approached, I heard some voices that sounded like they were in the direction I was heading. Sure enough, jercad, journey374, and one of the kids had just made the find. Strange thing - I ran into these guys at Millburn Landing. They had one kid with them and another at home after being injured. Today, the previously injured kid was with them, and the kid I met at Millburn Landing was home sick. Hope I’m not a curse…

Loved the container. Left a couple of CAM 2015 pins and a CAM 2015 pathtag.

This was CAM 2015 cache #9. Heading over to find #10 next.
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

4/18 # 8 We knocked this one today. Talked with JoeJackson and Jercad in the parking lot. They had just come back from signing the log. We made the walk to the container which is fantastic. and made the find. The we continued on to a cache that was about a half mile away. What a nice hot day in the park today. It was in the high 70's.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

Well, this was it -- the our final CAM cache of 2015! I wasn’t planning to come up here until next weekend, but we had no plans this afternoon, so decided to finish up today. Bear Branch was a nice, laid-back way to wrap things up after visiting busy Kilgore Falls yesterday. It was cloudy and cool, and the park was not crowded at all. My kids brought their fishing gear along. We wound our way around the lake and found a trail that took us back to GZ. My son was the first to spot the very clever container. Very nicely done! Loved the surprise in the outer container. A classic Carroll County hide if I ever saw one. :wink: We signed the log and dropped off some additional swag. The kids spent a couple of hours afterward fishing in the lake. No bites, but we all had fun. Thanks for a great hide to wrap up CAM 2015!
Va_pirates
MGS Member

Post by Va_pirates »

#2 out of 4 for the day on 4-12. Rode with Udderly on the cache run
NJSquirrel
MGS Member

Post by NJSquirrel »

I came over from NJ to knock of some more CAM 2015 caches and this was my first of the day. It was a pleasant walk until I saw the big ol' hill. I ended up going up sooner than needed and had to back track a bit. From all the geo trails, I wasn't the only one confused :wink:

6 more to go!
SethW
MGS Member

Post by SethW »

Had a nice walk to this cache. A little bit of a hike up to it, but not too bad. As many misadventures as I have had during this CAM, this cache went just fine. Although one of my pens fell out of my pocket next to my car and I didn't realize it until I backed over it and crushed it as I was leaving. Oops! #8 of 10. TFTC!
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

CAM 2015 #10 is in the logbook! Thanks so much for this one. My son and I were returning from a Cub Scout camping trip. I had the cargo trailer but thankfully, was able to back into an end spot in the lot. We had a nice walk along the path and enjoyed seeing all the fish and a few turtles that disappeared as soon as we got close. I let my son run the GPSr and he ran us up the hill first and then I decided to take over when he wanted to but to bushwhack to this one. I was pretty sure we weren't supposed to be doing that for a CAM cache. Once we got within 60 feet, we saw our quarry. My son was impressed with the size of it and the surprise inside. I left a CAM 2015 pathtag in there for another finder and he took someone signature mustache thing. On the walk back, we saw about a dozen turtles. We could recognize them this time as red eared sliders as they didn't leave so quickly. I wish I would have had time and no trailer behind me to check out the nature center to see how it compares to our local one. Thank you so much for the CAM cache.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
dbzdude
MGS Member

Post by dbzdude »

Fourth cache of the first day. There was a bit of snow on the ground leftover from the past but that did nothing but make me enjoy this cache more. Location was gorgeous. And the hike was fantastic too!