Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2015 - WMRT

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
BethanyInWonderland
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2015 - WMRT

Post by BethanyInWonderland »

You may log caches for CAM here. No spoilers please! On May 2nd you will be able to log them on geocaching.com.
BigBossMan
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2015 - WMRT

Post by BigBossMan »

Wasn't the first to find. Came in from the canal road. If you see a huge slide mark going down the hill, that will be mine. :)
davee-n-cachincarrie
MGS Member

Post by davee-n-cachincarrie »

This was the first of five CAM caches we found today. We have never tried CAM before, and this was the start of a crazy day for us. From looking at the teaser map, I knew there'd be one in this area, so we got a really early start (left home around 6:20) and once the coords were available, I downloaded them to my phone. We parked at the bike shop (by WVTim's Bike Maryland cache, which we were also able to get this morning!) and hiked up the WMRT from there. We only missed FTF by a couple minutes, beaten by someone who drove down the riverside road and bushwhacked up. We enjoyed our walk, though, and were even able to get FTF on 2 of the 3 bonus caches on our way out. A great start to the day!
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found 3-21-15 at 6 pm, CAM #2

2nd of two CAM caches today. It turned out to be a spectacular day to do some hiking and searching of CAM caches. Our goal for today was just to get the two farthest western caches in the state. We were thankful for the flat, paved trail after the steeper, slush covered trails of Greenbrier. It was such an enjoyable day weather-wise we took the time to grab all the additional caches along the trail. As we were looking for one bonus cache, we spotted Mr. and Mrs. Zorrobarnes and chatted with them for a while.
Eventually we made it to the CAM cache and Michelle had the correct idea as to how to get to it. Collected the necessary info and dropped in some swag and a path tag. On our return route we also checked out the ruins of an old house up on the hill. It is quite interesting to see all the remains of the railroad along this path down to the old glass insulators on the remaining poles.
Thanks for the great CAM cache!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

I spent this opening day of CAM 2015 caching with Dixiegurl Suzanne, wizardofmd69, CSI 714, JL826 and Fyregypsy. We signed the logs with a variation of Team CAM to save space. We got in the neighborhood of 43 caches each (give or take); 4 of them being CAM 2015 caches (1 being FTF) and 2 other FTFs.

This was our third CAM 2015 cache of the day. We parked and made our way along the trail to pick up the CAM 2015 cache and the bonus caches. Thanks for placing the caches. TNLN TFTC
SimmyJellers
MGS Member

Post by SimmyJellers »

Out for an awesome day of geocaching on day 1 of CAM with my best buddies Charlie the Dog, Mrs Rynamon, and JoshInChains. We stopped in for breakfast while driving westward, a short time before all the information was published. Wouldn’t you know that we somehow ate breakfast 1 mile from the parking area! How unreal is that. As we pulled into the parking we ran into The P-Hound, Lady H, HytechMD, and Geotessy. We made the walk along the trail as a group of humans and 2 dogs. It was nice to have others around to make fun of. We had a great time.
Thanks for our 1st CAM find of 2015!
hunterKat
Former MGS Officer

Post by hunterKat »

My muggle decided he'd do a couple CAM caches with me this weekend, and we started here. We dug out the bikes, checked them over, and headed out - first time we've been on them in about 8 years. Bikes were in good condition - bodies? We were about to find out. Made quick work of this find, then headed further down the trail hoping to claim The Devil's Eyebrow, and found we were on top of it, instead of where the information is, so that was a bummer. On the 3-mile ride back to the car, as we started moving after one of our stops (and not long after my comment about never forgetting how to ride a bike), I and my bike fell over. :oops: Luckily, I didn't land on asphalt, but on slightly softer ground. Took me a couple minutes to assess any damages and untangle from the bike - luckily the worst damage was to my pride. :wink: I think I scared my hubby more than anything. Thanks for the fun!
Difficult paths often lead to beautiful places.
BladenV
MGS Member

Post by BladenV »

Found with TheLoneBaker. A much easier (albeit longer) trek than the Greenbriar cache we nabbed before. 3 of 10 caches down. TFTC!
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

I spent the weekend in Columbus, OH, watching NCAA Tournament games (and doing some caching, of course) with my good friend luvinlif2k. When the CAM caches published on Saturday, I saw that this one was a stone's throw off I-70, so stopping here on the way home today was a no-brainer. We hiked along the trail and made quick work of the CAM cache and the three bonus caches. It was a beautiful day to be outside. We didn't see anyone else on the trail, which didn't surprise us too much given that it was a week day. This was my first CAM 2015 find.. looking forward to the rest!
soccertoa
Former MGS Officer

Post by soccertoa »

3/22/15 Teamed up with Humphr1d, Dillicach and Tinycacher70 to hit the western and northern CAM caches early this morning. Parked at posted parking coords (I love it when parking coords are posted, makes life so much better). Took a long but easy walk to GZ, made much better by the additional caches placed along the way. Followed an obvious geopath right to the cache, quickly signed it, grabbed the code, took a couple pictures and headed back. Took the time to get a couple other caches nearby and if you have time I really recommend going for WVTim's Bike Maryland, it makes you think. :thinking:
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

This was 1st of 2 for Sunday. When we got up there, we were sore from the hikes on Saturday. So, we went down the road to a near cache parking area, and climbed up the slope to the WMRT. From there is was easy peasy, except for the actual GZ. I went around and around looking for it.

Found it eventually, and was quite happy.

We met up with a group of cachers at the bike shop and later Greenbrier. While at the bike shop, we met a trail lady with a beautiful dog. She wasn't caching. Just waiting for her ride back to her car.
zorrobarnes
MGS Member

Post by zorrobarnes »

On March 21, the 1st day of CAM 2015, Jeanne and geodog Kacey and I were up early. The Rachel Carson Park cache was closest to us. We got there too late for FTF, but had a great hike getting the CAM cache there plus two others, before heading west. We debated whether to go south and east to avoid the snow, but ultimately chose to go west to enjoy the last, hopefully, of this season's snow :) After the challenging hiking at Greenbrier, we were happy to find a paved trail here and by the time we got here, most of the snow had disappeared. The weather was perfect with bright sunshine and just-about-right temperature which made for a very enjoyable walk. We got the CAM cache, all of the bonuses, and a few others. As we were walking back I heard my name and spotted the mortards off the trail at one of the caches. We chatted for a bit before continuing. As it turns out, we would encounter them two more times on the next day.
Huge thanks to the CAM committee and the hiders! This was a neat series of hides along this trail.
SKI_THE_SUMMIT
MGS Member

Post by SKI_THE_SUMMIT »

6th cache, did 2 today. The sun was finally coming out as we approached Hancock. Did the 4 others on the way to the cache. A favorite trail for biking in the warmer weather.
PatientRock
MGS Officer

Post by PatientRock »

The fourth and final CAM cache of my day yesterday. I wish I had brought my bike! Sadly all the driving I had done meant that I had little time for extra caches. I'll know better for next year to spread out my CAM hunt over more days. Easy find. Thanks!
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

I went past this one, on the way to Cumberland to rescue the Hot Potato TB. As it didn't take us all that long to grab it, I made the trip on the way back. I forgot my bike so I parked nearby on the road and grabbed this one. I love the park here, being so close to the Potomac, where I've found so many awesome geocaches. Thanks for bringing me out here again.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
LynchTrekkers
MGS Member

Post by LynchTrekkers »

Like the previous logger, I wish I had the bike too. Would have been fun. This was #2 of 3 CAMs. Spent more time in Hancock grabbing more caches. TFTC.
WJ family
MGS Member

Post by WJ family »

Monday, March 30

Found with Banjotramp, NemoC and Seadog. Banjotramp had biked this trail prior to getting into geocaching, but we'd never been on this trail before. (We had done the MML cache near the parking.) Nice stroll with bonuses along the way. Also picked up a couple others in Hancock before moving on.
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 1
Our fourth and last CAM trip comprised the first half of our annual journey to West Virginia to celebrate Easter with family. We left the Eastern Shore before sunup and logged our ninth and tenth CAM caches (Wahoo!), three bonus and nine other caches along the way before stopping at Grantsville for the night.
With CAM Greenbrier logged earlier we arrived here optimistic to finish CAM 2015 today.
Thanks to MGS and the hider for an enjoyable walk to an easy find!
Wahoo! Ten of ten! We're done!
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

4/3/15 Hancock has always been a geocaching friendly place. Some of my fondest memories are from the Fall picnics at Widmyer Memorial Park. Ahhhh the Zombie Horde breakfast was the best - nothing can beat it! SawyeRR was on Spring Break and I had the day off. We observed the local radar and waited for a "dry" pocket - a break in the rain - then made the 35 minute drive to Hancock.

Now I thought briefly about short-cutting the process on Berm Road but quickly decided against it. In fact, I was going to savor this tenth and final CAM cache by parking a little further south, walk, and enjoy the scenery. I strolled past some historic downtown building from the period where the railroad made this village. I was soon consumed by markers, foundations and relics that once stood in the era of steam. I imagined the Western Maryland Railroad's huge iron horses that once played on this bed and began traveling off the trail to look at history.

After grabbing the bonuses along the way, we grabbed the CAM cache around 11:15. I dropped five different pathtags as well as some Smokey Bear 70th birthday stickers and pins. Quite a humid trip, with temps in the high 60's. I actually got down to a tee shirt for the first time this year.

While not the most picturesque cache on this trip, it is worth high marks for the history and the dedication to preserve this railroad bed for us to still enjoy. Thanks mdgps for placing this cache as well as tazscouter for the bonuses. I also can't overlook all the fine folks that have added caches to this trail. Thanks again.
SoMDVet
MGS Member

Post by SoMDVet »

4/4/15 #6 of 10 Woke early and met up with part of the Zombie Horde to finish the last 5 CAM caches. When we got to Hancock it was raining so we had breakfast first. Made quick work of the cache by following the Geo Path and off we went to next cache.