Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Monocacy Battlefield - CAM cache

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
deepdish23
MGS Director

Monocacy Battlefield - CAM cache

Post by deepdish23 »

First of all, I want to thank the Park Rangers at Monocacy National Battlefield for allowing a geocache to be placed at the battlefield. When making the list of National Park sites for CAM caches in 2016, Monocacy was high on the wish list, but I didn't think there would be much of a chance of getting a cache there. I was most appreciative when they approved a placement of a geocache on such hallowed ground. The original permit that was generated allowed two geocaches, the CAM cache, and the Wherigo, to be placed, but they would be archived after the CAM picnic. The rangers of Monocacy met last week and I wanted to relay the following information: Because the battlefield is hallowed ground with an important piece of American History, they understandably would like the geocaching impact on the grounds to be minimal. The CAM cache will be archived on Friday morning when I head out to grab the container. The Wherigo though, will be kept active for an extended length of time due to the minimal impact on the environment of the container and due to the tour the Wherigo takes you at the battlefield. So, if you were not able to do the Wherigo during CAM because of time constraints, you will still be able to do it. In addition, there is a GeoTrail in the works that is planned to be released some time in the Fall of 2016. Monocacy Battlefield would be an appropriate place for a geocache for the GeoTrail, and the rangers have already given their approval for a geocache for that GeoTrail to be placed at Monocacy. The geocache for that trail will take you to a different area of the battlefield than where the CAM cache took you. At this point, I do not know how long the Wherigo will stay active, but I am fairly certain it will remain active through the completion of the future GeoTrail.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Re: Monocacy Battlefield - CAM cache

Post by lpaulriddle »

If it comes to it, I wonder if the final for the Wherigo could be relocated somewhere off park property, but nearby, kind of like how the Wherigo at Antietam is set up?

Paul