Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Rocky Gap

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Rocky Gap

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2018: Rocky Gap logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 5th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Rocky Gap

Post by bneeriemer »

We got this one second for the day.
The trail to the cache was rocky and slippery due to melty snow.
Otherwise, this is one of the best cam trails ever.
Awesnap
MGS Member

24.Mar.2018 - CAM 2018: Rocky Gap

Post by Awesnap »

ABOUT OUR DAY:
Near the end of every year Cache Clown 76 and I start showing symptoms of CAM FEVER. This fever intensifies through the early months of each new year. Symptoms generally include randomly saying "I can't wait for CAM" and changing the words of songs to fit the word "CAM" in. Songs such as Bob Marley's song "Jammin":

♫ ♬ We're CAMmin, You know CAMmin' is always a blast, We're CAMmin', and I hope this CAM is gonna last! ♫ ♬

When March finally rolls around symptoms intensify to where we staring blankly at our calendars and randomly searching through Maryland Road atlases.

Today CAM has finally arrived, and relief is near. We both woke up extra early today, met up at ZERO FIVE THIRTY, and started our long trek from Prince William Virginia to attend the 2018 CAM Kickoff Event – Central.

Not only do we have CAM FEVER, we still have to earn 500 Friend League Points to earn all nine of the Planetary Pursuit souvenirs.

ABOUT THIS CACHE:
CC76 and I made our way up the mountain. The snow and rocks made it a difficult trip for this fat man. I was huffing and a puffing the whole way. CC76 was a trooper and throttled back for me. He was quick to find this, I was quick to find a tree to lean on and catch my breath.

TFTC
jerkybill
MGS Member

Post by jerkybill »

Off to a late start as usual for CAM. It seems to start (and end) on my weekends to work... Knowing this trail like the back of my boots, It's actually easier (for me and the geo mutts Dizzy and Miles) to start at the Canyon to Summit trail. Traded some coin for a 2017 CAM path tag. The snow is glazed and slick in spots still, so watch out.
Attachments
THE CAT LIVES!!!!
THE CAT LIVES!!!!
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

Rocky Gap State Park - 3/29/18 - Today was the day I went after the CAM cache in Rocky Gap. This would be 8 out of 11 for me. Being we got into the area after leaving from Western Maryland, I decided to spend two nights nearby so I could clean up the park much as possible. Today I did get the CAM cache along with 8 other caches. Not bad for a late start. I've been to this park before but never hiked the trails. I hiked about half of the park today and will get the other half tomorrow.

Grabbed a few nice caches on my way to the CAM cache. After the CAM cache, I decided to go after Mt. Evitts cache. From the CAM cache it was only a little more than four tenths of a mile away as the crow flies, but it was all up hill. A long steep hill. But this is supposed to be about CAM, and the CAM cache was a nice find. I didn't follow the trail as suggested as I was off the trail to find another cache. It didn't take long to get myself back on to the trail and make a quick find.

Thanks for bringing me back on some new trails and for some beautiful views. AIO TFTC TNLN
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

3/30/18 CAM cache #4
WOW! I wasn’t expecting such a strenuous hike! I must be in worse shape than I thought as I had to stop a few times on the way up on the Shortcut trail. All those waypoints looked pretty intimidating on paper, but where a great help to confirm we were headed the right way. The only thing missing was directions on what to do after we found the geocache. Go back up or does the trail continue? The trail was muddy and slippery in spots, but just what I needed to get my heart pumping. I’m so,glad the weather was okay and there was no snow. We ran into MarylandRVers along the trail and ended up at the cache together. Nice hide! I hope no one spots it so close to the trail. It was a trail, right? It was narrow! Thanks for the fun hide and reminder that I need to get back in shape. SL TFTC
MotherWolf
MGS Member

Post by MotherWolf »

This doesnt sound like it would be doable for those of us that have challenges with walking far or up inclines. Will be interesting to see the page for it & how it was rated.....MW
Pyro1970
MGS Member

Post by Pyro1970 »

I was advised by several to skip this on due to the recent snow making the trail more treacherous. After eating lunch with my sister and brother in law in Grantsville I headed back towards the Eastern Shore. As I drove closer to Rocky Gap it started nawing at me that I would have to skip this on. Kinda like telling a kid, "you shouldnt do that". I turned in, made the parking, made a phone call to verify I was at the correct parking area and began my hike in. It was a good hike. The melting snow made some of the trail slick. The scenery was beautiful. I took some photos and enjoyed the serenity. I made the gz with no broke bones. Found the geocache, after signing the log I continued on through. Arriving back to the parking a short time later. I look forward to a return trip here to hike after a couple more geocaches. Next stop, Gettysburg.
Using Tapatalk
thewoodenradio
MGS Member

Post by thewoodenradio »

I headed west this 'mid-week' stopping at Rocky Gap,first, then went on to stay overnight before tackling Upper Youghionheny, Great hike. except for the short stretch that was muddy. Only a few hundred feet, but the hike was well worth it. This cache deserves more than the single Favorite Point that "GC" allows.
soccertoa
Former MGS Officer

Post by soccertoa »

April 6, 2018
Mr. and Mrs. MDSearcher headed out early on a Friday morning to grab all 3 of the Western Maryland CAM caches and as many others as possible along the way. This was our 2nd of the day and what a doozy it was! First of all we did this one totally wrong, we didn't pay attention to the waypoints, which is dumb because I had been told to follow the waypoints. Since I was doing CAM with MDSearcher, they usually already have a plan and I just follow it. We are quite opposite in that they print out everything and I don't print anything at all. So since I didn't print anything, I didn't look at where the waypoints were. So when we arrived at parking they said we're going for the Canyon overlook first, then the Rocky Gap run, then down to the CAM cache and I didn't question them at all, I just headed out. Well we found the Canyon overlook quickly and started heading toward the Rocky gap cache, but lost the trail. When we realized that we would have to go back up a very steep hill that we had just come down, Mrs. MDSearcher decided to head back to the car and Mr. MDSearcher and I headed back up the trail and found where we missed the turn-off. Well the trail just got worse from there, very steep and rocky and somewhat dangerous. Considering Mr. MDSearcher is the same age as my mom, I was super impressed how he was able to navigate this tough trail, although in my head and I kept saying 'please, don't fall, please don't fall..', we would have been in a heap of trouble if either of us got injured on this trail. After finding Rocky Gap and seeing a pretty powerful waterfall, we headed toward the CAM cache and promptly lost the trail again, so we bushwhacked straight up the side of the hill/mountain until we crossed paths with the trail again. Once we found the trail, we easily made it to the CAM cache, then continued on the trail to the next cache along the way. That's when we realized we had totally taken the wrong trail here. We found a few more caches along the trail as we made our way back to the car. And we actually found every cache that we went for. I must say that Mr. MDSearcher did amaze me on this hike, I really hope I'm in as good as shape as he is when I hit his age. But we really learned a lesson on this one, follow the waypoints!
up & down
MGS Member

Post by up & down »

Yesterday we visited Rocky Gap State Park. We've been there before so we knew where to park. We first walked the trail along the lake going after the cache that was at the dam. From there we were going after the CAM. At the dam we discovered we didn't bring our map. Not knowing where the trails were we bushwacked straight for the CAM. Wasn't long and we arrived at the CAM cache. From there we followed a nearbye trail to the dam where we found Rocky Gap Run cache. We continued on the trail and it was then we discovered how we should have made our way to the CAM cache. Grabbed a few more caches in the park before heading home. Had a great time on the trails.
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found April 7th at 5:15 PM, CAM #7

Wow... that was quite the CAM hike! That may be one of the toughest CAM hikes we've done since we started doing CAM.

This weekend's goal was to finish all the Western Maryland CAM caches and we started with the Youghiogheny and then headed hear after lunch. Perhaps we should have started our day here when we had a bit more energy and less pizza in our bellies but this was our plan for the day.

We grabbed many of the other caches to and from the CAM hide. Although it snowed the previous evening there wasn't really any snow left here in Rocky Gap but some of the trails were a bit soupy in spots. We especially enjoyed the hike down by Rocky Gap Run and the Rock Shelter towards the end. In addition we spotted several Mergansers and a few Kingfishers on the lake. Thanks for placing this challenging and scenic CAM cache! TFTC.
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

THURSDAY, APRIL 12
With seven CAM caches logged, we had been waiting for a good two-day forecast to cross the Bay and get Fort Frederick, Upper Youghiogheny, and Rocky Gap. Tuesday, when that seemed likely, we booked a motel and left home Wednesday morning at 5:45am. At 10:30am today, with our tenth CAM cache logged, we started home, arriving home about thirty-five hours after we started, having driven 631 miles this trip, and 1,424 for all ten caches.
Today we followed the Touch of Nature Trail until it merged with the Lakeside Loop and then followed that, pausing on the Spillway to find GC7AJ5Q before continuing. After our first turn we stopped to find GCZJ6J, then, at the next turn detoured briefly to find GC7AW7V and then returned to the Evitt's Mountain Trail. Soon we turned downhill toward the CAM cache and, at 9:33am, logged our tenth cache! Continuing south we then found GC1Z98Z. At that point we left the blazed trail and followed a trail along Rocky Gap Run, made a steep ascent to the Rock Shelter Trail, and then followed the road to the Canyon Overlook trailhead. After finding GCKC97 we returned to our car, after walking 2.46 miles and finding six caches in an hour and thirty-five minutes. We think two things that made this a fun experience were good trail maps and a book we got for Christmas called "Ageless Strength: Strong and Fit for a Lifetime". The workouts increase strength, function and balance. In our seventies, that's important to us. Thanks to MGS and the hider for a cache to bring us to this beautiful place!
This was find #10. We're going to the Picnic!
Superchucklez
MGS Member

Post by Superchucklez »

TFTC... My first time to Rocky Gap... I've driven by quite a few times goin somewheres but here... Nice weather today.... I dont have spare time or spare change to play the slots today...I appreciate the waypoints.... Talked to GVT1985 at friendsville and he bushwhacked n regretted it.. SL...TNLN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Lots to say about this cache. First of all, I’ve driven by here a ton of times, knew there were a bunch of caches, but I never pulled in because I had some weird idea that you had to be a registered guest or something. Well, that was stupid! I’m coming back for more.

Next, this was another meet-and-greet-and-meet-and-greet-and-so-on. At one point of another, I ran into par72, GardenNClay, I am just the driver, HAPPeMurphy, sfcchaz, LynchTrekkers, MrBee&WillowTree, Seeker4Life, found4Life, and AfriendofB. Feel like I forgot somebody else...

MrBee&WillowTree and I talked about how to get to Rocky Gap Run. He pointed me toward a trail to take, and also told me that going this way is another route to the CAM cache. So I took the long slow trail down, watching every step so I didn’t overbalance, found that cache, then started the long slow trail up. And I guess I learned how this area earned the “Rocky” part of its name!

To be totally honest, I’m glad I took that trail instead of following the reference points. I like a good hike that winds its way through narrow places and leaves me a little worn out at the end, and this trail definitely did that.

Once I saw the cache’s hiding spot, I stopped, caught my breath, and made the retrieval. Dropped an older MGS path tag in with the log.

8 CAM 2018 caches in the books!

TFTC!
mrbee&willowtree
MGS Member

Post by mrbee&willowtree »

With two CAM caches to go this year, a very very warm April afternoon seemed like the perfect day to find the remaining ones! We started with Rocky Gap and then proceeded over to Fort Frederick. Both were fun adventures!

The only gambling we did at Rocky Gap was seeing how much hiking we could do without finding any ticks on us (we forgot to bring tick spray with us). Turns out we hit the jackpot and didn't have any of the little buggers on us!

Loved the hike to this cache! The rocky terrain and all of the rhododendron along the water's edge made for quite a scenic walk. That waterfall that comes down from the spillway is most impressive!

When we made it back to the road, we spent a few minutes looking for a nano at GC7AJ5Q. As we were searching, we met a new geocacher (joejackson), who kindly gave us a helpful hint to compensate for the jumpy coords. In exchange, we offered some tips on navigating to this cache. It's always so fun meeting cachers in the field--one of the things we really enjoy about doing CAM!

Thanks for a nice hike on a beautiful summer-like April day!
snowsox1023
MGS Member

Post by snowsox1023 »

I certainly picked the right day to finish up CAM with the Western Maryland caches. It was a high in the 80s, my kind of weather! Took a drive out with my geo-hubby who just indulges me. This was our second stop of the day and the one my husband was most looking forward to since he loves to hike and enjoys the terrain on hikes like this. We stopped by a few extra caches on our way to and from the CAM cache. I expected to pass some caching buddies who I knew were on my "tail" on my route from the cache but they took an "alternate" route. It was a nice kike, well except may for the steep up hill but it was totally doable and worth the trip. What a lovely park to hike in. My hubby is actually returning to this location in a few weeks to have father/son weekend. TFTC!
Seeker4Life
MGS Member

Post by Seeker4Life »

4/14/18 Wow were we happy to have CAM 2018 bring us to this lovely park! After leaving southern Delaware at 4:30am, stopping for breakfast and snagging a cabin at Rocky Gap, found4life and afriendofB and I got the YAWK cache. Headed back to Rocky Gap in the heat of the day and blithely unawares of the challenges ahead, merrily took off on the trail. We puzzled a bit over all the reference points, but did find them very helpful once we were at the point of decision. We had thoughtfully carried our hiking sticks along the last cache, but forgot them on this one. Could have really used them on this trail! I nearly fell too many times to count despite watching every step. You youngsters don’t laugh. This is how the geriatric geocachers group rolls. Anyway, the heat was amazing after such a cold long spring. I got so hot I didn’t even go for an extra cache within shouting distance of the trail. All I could think is”Water, nice cold water in that lake down there”. My feet and legs and face and head got the icy water plunge on the way back. Lovely challenge, beautiful day. TFTC.
"Loving the journey--excited about the goal!"
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

CAM 2018 cache find #9 - 14 Apr 2018

I was in the area today to seek this CAM 2018 cache. I also found another 6 in the area along the way. I got the 3 most western CAM 2018 caches today to get the 10 required to attend the picnic. I saw several other cachers at each CAM 2018 location and spent time catching up and seeking a few caches together.

I ran into the SoccerLexie family in the parking lot before venturing to this cache. We had first met at the CAM 2017 - Sykesville cache last year. They stated they were waiting on the LynchTrekkers which I had saw at the CAM 2018: Upper Youghiogheny cache earlier in the day. So we decided to team up for some of the caches here. After trekking to this cache first, we made our way back and found several others on the way out. We ran into Bisquick and humphr1d at GZ. They had not yet found the cache and I had approached from the opposite direction. They stated I must have walked right by it, and I did while keeping a sharp eye on my footing. Gathered the required in formation. TNLN TFTC
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

4/13/18 - Rocky Gap
Time to do the Western MD CAM caches, AND, it's Friday 13th. What could happen? Wow, those are some rocky trails! How come the trails names "New Cut" or "Short Cut" are always straight up? I didn't like where the GPS was taking me, so I decided to bushwhack to the GZ. The GPS, luckily, has topo lines so I didn't pick a totally insane route. Loads of multicolored and textured mosses, and lots of rocks. And after all that, I find a trail leading to the GZ! Oh well. So, Friday 13th and no snakes and no sprained ankles..............yet! Knock , Knock.......on Wood! TFTC