Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Glen Echo Park

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Glen Echo Park

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2018: Glen Echo Park logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 5th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
snowsox1023
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Glen Echo Park

Post by snowsox1023 »

Out on the opening day of CAM with DeathwishDave and Flamingo_girl. We were pleasantly surprised to discover we shared a coFTF for this cache. Interesting park. Thanks for bringing us here
TFTC!
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

FTF with snowsox and death wish Dave! We had a fun time finding all the answers. What we thought was an oversight in the parking lot turned out to be a good move on our part to make the find. Interesting park, I had never heard about this place before.
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? We were all in shock to see that we were FTF!!!! It was also a very cool park. Not in the park sort of sense but . . . . you know. Anyway, some of the clues were difficult to find but we found them. Thanks so much for this puppy.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
WVKiwi
Former MGS Officer

Post by WVKiwi »

3/24/18
Woke up and spent some time this morning plotting out some CAM plans before finally deciding to start with the one closest to home. Having been to this park multiple times, it was nice to see it selected for a CAM cache! Saberspark77 & I roamed around and collected the information without too much problem. A couple of the signs seemed in slightly different places than suggested on the map, but not so much as to not make them unfindable — just look around for other nearby signs of history and all seekers should be fine. We ran into a few other cachers making their way around the park on this nice day, but ultimately had gz to ourselves at the end. Signed our names, recorded the first code, have started the countdown: 1 down and 10 to go! Since most of the previous visits to Glen Echo have been at dusk/dark, thanks for giving us an excuse to tour in daylight. Likely will make a return soon for a Friday night dance, but in the meantime, off to Lake Needwood! :D
mrbee&willowtree
MGS Member

Post by mrbee&willowtree »

Find #7 of CAM 2018.
Found with: Profbrad, 74vwBusFamily, and Superchucklez

What an epic 36 hours of geocaching and road tripping! We started out by driving from Altoona, PA to Salisbury, MD on March 23 and stayed overnight to be able to attend the kickoff event the next morning. After meeting with others and getting our .gpx files, we began our journey from SE to NW. All in all, we managed to get 7 CAM caches throughout the day. In between, we found some virtuals, a webcam, and a few other high-favorited caches in parts of DE and MD.

The park was busy because a swing dance was going on in one of the buildings. This one took us some time to solve (mostly because of us being tired from a busy day of CAMming), but eventually we corrected our errors and located the container. In a sense, we were fortunate to have found this one while the park was dark because all of the neon signs at night really made for a unique atmosphere. It felt like we were back in time a few decades! Definitely a memorable experience!
Superchucklez
MGS Member

Post by Superchucklez »

TFTC....i was the one that made the mathematical error for the JAGA group's trouble.... This was one of the many stops that the JAGA crew made (Profbread, MrBee, 74vw, and i).... The CAM '18 series was the goal with a few webcams, virtuals, lighthouses, and various cache types along the way.... Made the find while meeting various cachers at each cache....

i've been to a couple fall picnics but never been to a CAM series kickoff party. I heard a lot of hype from profbread n the V W bus from their previous trips....

i never looked into these cuz i never have been able to get around to these... even with a bad knee these were fun this year...

At dark this place reminded me, in my world this looked like it could've been in part of the video game bioshock...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesnap
MGS Member

28.Mar.2018 - 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Glen Echo Park

Post by Awesnap »

This worked out perfect. My wife and daughter had tickets to see the Little Mermaid in the park today. So I tagged along to find this CAM cache.

We arrived before their show and started looking for information, but they soon had friends arrive and headed over to get in line. I continued on hunting down signs and collecting information. All was well except I could not find whatever Bumper Car I was supposed to be looking for. There was painting work going on so I was wondering if that information was moved. I ended up circling that pavilion twice before spotting two other caches at the Carousel.

It was Phos4s and JAF430. I told them about my dilemma and they said that they would help. As we turned to walk towards the Bumper Car pavilion I spotted it. I guess it took a different perspective to see.

We did have a math error and left the park in our cars to find it. Luckily in transit JAF430 spotted the error. So we basically just ended up circling the entirety of Glen Echo Park before returning to park. I like to think of it as a pre cache find victory lap. Soon we had the cache in hand and signed our names.

After the show let out I met up with my family and we had lunch at the nearby Irish Inn at Glen Echo. The Mollinator told me all about the Little Mermaid and I told her that I found the geocache. Afterwards we went to find it but in looking through the swag I forgot to write “M!”

As we played on the playground I noticed a few other folks who appeared to be CAM cachers walking around. So I went over to talk to them. It was Simmsquest. I asked “How is your Cam going?” She replied “we can’t find the bumper car!” I laughed and pointed. We both got a laugh at that. Afterwards I walked over to the final to sign in the Mollinator.

Even though I encountered a few snags, this was a really fun geocache. TFTC
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

Back on the CAM trail for a second consecutive Saturday, this time with my two sons and nephew. This was a really fun cache! I had visited here just last year to claim the virtual cache, and it was nice to return. There were a lot of cars in the lot, but the park itself didn’t seem overly crowded. We had fun walking around looking for the clues -- kind of like a scavenger hunt. A few of them took a couple of minutes, but none of them gave us too much trouble. I got to see a few interesting areas of the park that I had missed when I was here for the virtual. The final took a minute to spot, but once we did, there was no mistaking it. I was surprised not to run into any other cachers this morning, but at 11:15am, there were 6 or 7 signatures already on the log from earlier today. I guess we just got a late start. ;) We signed in and exchanged some trinkets. Really enjoyed this letterbox. Time to grab some lunch, and then on to Lake Needwood. TFTC!
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 31st at 2:45 PM, CAM #4

Out on a beautiful spring day trying to grab the two closest CAM caches to our house. This was the farthest of the two so we headed here first intending to work our way back home.
The sun was out, just a bit breezy and lots of muggles in the park. We've been here before but enjoyed walking around reading the various interpretive signs and just enjoy being outdoors without being completely bundled up.
Once we had the final coordinates we headed towards them. Didn't take long to find the cache but retrieval took a bit as several muggles kept walking back here despite being a somewhat secluded area of the park. Eventually we were able to sign the log and collect the necessary information. All was well with the cache here today. Really enjoyed a leisurely walk around the park today. TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

Found on 31 Mar 2018.

This was my first CAM 2018 find. :D I was out of town last week when CAM 2018 started. I started with this one as it was relatively close to home and Needwood was just up the road with plenty of companion caches, so no need for real planning. I had a lot of fun with this one. I had been here before and had no other geocache distractions, so this was a relatively quick adventure. Took a minute to locate the information for "A" as it was quite where the map made it appear. On my way to the final as I was passing by the pottery being sold for $5 a pound, someone got my attention by waving at me as I had my tunes in and could not here anything else. Apparently Soccertoa and gvt1985 had been calling out to me, but I could not hear them. So we chatted for a couple minute and realized we all were going to the Needwood CAM cache next. So we joined forces. I traded my personal pathtag for one in the cache. I also stamped the logbook with my smiley face stamp that I have been using since my first actual letterbox find in 2008. Very nice job on the carving for the stamp inside the cache. Favorite point awarded. TFTC
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

Glen Echo - 4/2/18 - This is my 10th CAM find out of 11. The goal was to get this one during the week, hoping to avoid a large muggle presence. Today was the day I decided to go, after work, and hopefully before the rains came in.

Got to parking around 12:30 pm, looked at the cache page to give me an ideas as to what I was in for. Looked at the map. Planned my attack. On my way. Didn't have the park to myself, but I could count the number of muggles on one hand. and all but one had appeared to be as workers, trying to get the park ready for the spring and summer months. No one paid attention to me.

Made my way to each location, learned a little bit more about the park, and didn't have any problems with any of the stages. I spent about 40 minutes total, but I was doing a lot of walking and taking pictures. After I had the coords, I was on my way to a quick and easy find. A big thank you for putting this one together. Always a neat, old park to come and visit. AIO TFTC TNLN
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

4/7/18 Cam cache #7
I really enjoyed this geocache! It was fun walking around and learning about the park! We only had trouble with one part expecting it to be free standing sign when it wasn't. The answers were easy enough to come by once you knew where to look! It was so informative! I've been here before, but this time the experience was so much richer! Even though I hadn't printed the map ahead of time, we made due. Nice quick find too! Thanks for the fun! This will get a favorite point for sure when it publishes! SL TFTC
sharkb8007
MGS Member

Post by sharkb8007 »

4/7/18 - This was the 2nd of 3rd CAM caches tackled today. After finding Lake Needwood, we drove down here. Passing the front of the former amusement park kind of made us giddy. We arrived after 5 PM so we wanted to make sure we got the CAM in, but there was an artist's gathering going on today, and the pottery studio was also open, so we got a little bit of culture in as well. Honestly, this park had been on our radar for quite some time due to E's love of carousels, but we had never made it down here before. We had a fun time trying to imagine Glen Echo as an amusement park, and will definitely be back to enjoy some future activities here when the Dentzle carousel is open. As for the cache, finding the answers wasn't the problem today, math was. After we put the coords in it was obvious that something was off. Took us a little trial and error to see where the (lack of math) failure occured. Thanks for placing this cache and bringing us to an awesome park. (Log signed as ENB608 :smt049)
All caches signed as EnB608 :smt049
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

SATURDAY, APRIL 7
CAM CACHE CONUNDRUM: Why is it, that the night before you want to go caching, when you check NWS, The Weather Channel, Accuweather and Wunderground they all have the same forecast (which turns out to be wrong), OR, they appear to be forecasting the weather for four different planets! We originally planned to get Eastport and Point Lookout today, but last night the forecast for Point Lookout was so yucky that we cancelled. Then this morning we decided not to waste another Saturday and crossed the Bay hoping to get Eastport, Glen Echo and Lake Needwood in spite of the forecast of rain or snow, neither of which materialized. We got home at 8:18 tonight after logging those three CAM caches, six bonus caches and nine others, walking 6.5 miles and driving 339.
When we first read the cache writeup our trifocals were challenged by the map and questions, so I did a screenprint and enlarged the map. Beginning our search we were glad I did. Did anybody do this on a cell phone screen? We were surprised by the number of people here on this cold, blustery day. Our first stop was the Virtual Cache, to get that over with. Then, walking around looking for answers, we passed several sources without noticing them and and had to circle back. Unable to spot one we finally asked a worker for a hint. With the numbers we needed, the cache was soon found and logged. Our track showed we had walked 1.27 miles here.
Thanks to MGS and the hider for a challenging tour of this historic Park and a quick, easy find! Six logged, five to go!
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

The Crabs started late and started easy. Glen Echo was our first, nine more to go.
soccertoa
Former MGS Officer

Post by soccertoa »

March 31, 2018
Gvt1985 and I headed out early on a chilly Spring morning to grab the Glen Echo and the Lake Needwood CAM caches. The park was pretty crowded for this early Saturday morning and we were surprised to find that they were selling pottery by the pound here in the park. I think there must have been a birthday party for a toddler or something, because a lot of muggles were coming in the park with their toddler muggles in tow. Fortunately we had printed the map and found the first answer quickly, the 2nd answer had us a little stumped because the map confused us as to where to look, but we came upon another cacher and his daughter who told us where the correct sign was posted. We ended up doing the rest of the puzzle with him and his daughter and easily found the cache with the coords dead on. As we were finishing up we came upon sfcchaz who decided to join us to go hit up Lake Needwood. This is an interesting park, I'd been here for the virtual many years before. Nice puzzle.
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

4/6/18 - Glen Echo
Warming up for a CAM run on this beautiful Spring day.
This was my first time here.
Bumped into a guy who was returning a green lens from the original tower of the Spanish Dance Hall he picked up back in the 70's when they were demo-ing some of the structures. The whole parking lot was full of school buses, and elementary kids were everywhere. It definitely made blending in difficult since I was about 3 feet taller than everyone around. The attending teachers really had their hands full. When I finished and was leaving a high school group was scouring the creek ravine for trash before they disembarked back to their buses. Info was not always where I expected, but it was all there. Final was secure and the log was dry.
TFTC
up & down
MGS Member

Post by up & down »

This was our first CAM2018 cache. We had never been here before. Due to its location we decided Sunday March 25th was a good day to drive in that area. It was cold that morning so we were bundled up like polar bears. Besides a few workmen the park was empty. Eventually parents and kids were showing up for a puppet show that morning. We walked around the park and gathered info. I was particularly interested in the Chautauqua history of the park as I'm very familiar Chautauqua and how it came about. We had no problems gathering the information needed except for the bumper cars. Finally by luck we happen to look at the right spot and got the info to complete the cords needed find the final location. Thanks so much for bringing us here. We would like to come back sometime when the park is open.
polkadotmomma
MGS Member

Post by polkadotmomma »

This was our fourth CAM cache! Cool area we never knew existed. And it was our first letterbox. Tftc!