Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Deal Island

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Deal Island

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2018: Deal Island logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 5th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
snowsox1023
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Deal Island

Post by snowsox1023 »

Out on the first day of CAM with DeathwishDave and Flamingo_girl.Wow! There is really nothing out this way but other catchers at least today. Short walk to an easy find. Now that is one tiny cemetery! TFTC!
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

MARCH 24
Our usual "first day of CAM" routine is to go for any on the lower Eastern Shore, plus any other caches nearby, and then plan our trips across the Bay to get the rest. Today was no exception and we found two CAM's and four others, including one unexpected FTF. Not having to cross the Bay, we only drove 147 miles today. March madness has begun!
We'd forgotten how tranquil it is along the roads leading here--even more so as we got closer to the Bay. Thanks to MGS and the hider for a nice walk to an easy find with a view. We then drove down to the harbor. This gets another Favorite Point for listing a Waypoint for Rest Rooms! [:)]
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

TFTC! CAM number 4 on opening day with snowsox and death wish Dave. It's a very secluded area with nice views. We saw the smallest cemetary ever! Thanks for bringing me here.
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

On the long drive to this one from Eastport, I was thinking about CAMs past and people that I had done them with and wondering who I'd meet on the CAM trail. Trevelyan's R&R came to mind and wouldn't you know who we ran into on the way back from finding this one! Definitely one of the best parts of CAM running into people that have placed some of your favorite caches. Really a cool spot for a cache. Cemeteries are neat places. I could see a death date of 1817 (I think) on one of the stones and a birth date of 1780 on the other. Wowza. I'm always tempted to play in abandoned buildings but I resisted so we could get to the next one. Snowsox, flamingo_girl, and I were stalked on the way to Ocean City.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
sharkb8007
MGS Member

Post by sharkb8007 »

Having made the long, if not somewhat monotonous, trip from Elkton down to Deal Island, we realized as we were getting close that we were following right behind an MGS member. "Hmmm, wonder where they're going?" we mused. We pulled in and met DeepDish23 who had just arrived from Mount Airy or thereabouts. We made the short walk together where we met Pyro1970 and a few other cachers whose names we sadly didn't get. Pyro pointed out that beyond this little cemetery there were other headstones hidden in the brushes as well. Deal Island was such a far ride out, but the quietness of this remote part of Maryland was really beautiful. Plus we love marshes. Nice cache in a great place. Thanks! (log signed as ENB608)
Last edited by sharkb8007 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
All caches signed as EnB608 :smt049
wolfspirit55
MGS Member

Post by wolfspirit55 »

CAM 2018 : Deal Island Third CAM cache of the day. Arrived to an empty parking area. Short walk to GZ and cache in hand. Sign and return in time for new arrivals, snowsox, flamingo girl and DeathwishDave. Tried to mis direct them away, but they weren't having it. Nice chat with all a trade pathtags for my Mini GWS coins. :D
mrbee&willowtree
MGS Member

Post by mrbee&willowtree »

Find #1 of CAM 2018.
Found with: Profbrad, 74vwBusFamily, and Superchucklez
FTF!

What an epic 36 hours of geocaching and road tripping! We started out by driving from Altoona, PA to Salisbury, MD on March 23 and stayed overnight to be able to attend the kickoff event the next morning. After meeting with others and getting our .gpx files, we began our journey from SE to NW. All in all, we managed to get 7 CAM caches throughout the day. In between, we found some virtuals, a webcam, and a few other high-favorited caches in parts of DE and MD.

This was the first one of the day we attempted, and none of us had any expectations of being first to find. The walk through the old homestead was as scenic as it was historic. Everyone in our group enjoys an old cemetery hide, and this one didn't disappoint! When we opened the ammo can, we were pleasantly surprised to discover a blank log. We signed it, recorded the code, and changed our course for the next CAM cache.

Excellent way to start the day! Thank you for hiding this quality cache.
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 24th at 3 PM, CAM #2

This would be the second of two CAM caches today as we made the trip down from OC as our home base for the weekend. We'd been down this way once before but it was nice to have a reason to return to the area.

Made the short walk to GZ and Michelle soon spotted the cache. She loves old cemeteries so she really enjoyed this cache. We walked around the waterfront and the grounds trying to imagine what used to go on at this home. After that we headed to the little restaurant in Wenona to have a snack and mingle with the locals. We also snapped some pictures of the oyster dredging Skipjacks moored in the harbor before heading back to OC.

Thanks for bringing us to this little corner of Maryland! TFTC.
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

Pyro1970
MGS Member

Post by Pyro1970 »

Day 1 of CAM. Linked up with Pegasusmoon and KSullivan in the afternoon and headed down here. Arrived to gz to find several other cars in the parking. Hiked back and made a quick find. It is always nice meeting others on the CAM Trail. There are some geocachers that we only see during CAM. I have to return when cold weather sets in again. I would like return and etch the grave stones across from the caged stones when the ticks and mosquitos are not out.
Using Tapatalk
soccertoa
Former MGS Officer

Post by soccertoa »

March 24
Out with MDSearcher and GVT1985 we made the long drive from Columbia to Deal Island. We left about 8:30 am after downloading all the CAM caches and quickly hit the road. We remarked that we hadn't found any caches by 11:30 am, so it was a slow start for us. We did grab one cache on the road to Deal island before getting the CAM cache. Almost missed the turn in to parking, but saw it at the last minute. Pretty muddy here, probably from the recent snow, but I think it probably is muddy here a lot. Nice quick find, grabbed the clue and hit the road, we still had a lot more driving to do. One down, 10 to go.
Superchucklez
MGS Member

Post by Superchucklez »

One of the many stops that the JAGA crew made (Profbread, MrBee, 74vw, and i).... The CAM '18 series was the goal with a few webcams, virtuals, lighthouses, and various cache types along the way.... Made the find while meeting various cachers at each cache....

i've been to a couple fall picnics but never been to a CAM series kickoff party. I heard a lot of hype from profbread n the V W bus from their previous trips....

i never looked into these cuz i never have been able to get around to these... even with a bad knee these were fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
balloop
MGS Member

Post by balloop »

Attended the event in Salisbury on Saturday (March 24th) and made this the first CAM cache of the day after finding a few others on the way. That was a lot of miles on the same rural road to GZ. First time to Deal Island. No problem taking the short hike to GZ, finding the container, and making a note of the icon. Highlight of the day --- While taking a detour from Deal Island back to Ocean City, took a one car barge across a stream before taking a bike ride for a batch of the TAD caches. Didn't make it back to OC until much later in the day.
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

Deal Island - 3/25/18 - The wife and I are now on geocaching time. No hotel or meal plans. The only plan is to attack the next closest CAM cache. Left OC and heading west, or is it south west? Finally get ourselves to the parking area. It was neat coming onto the island watching the water splash up and over the seawall and onto the road. Yes, it was that windy. Thanking the geo-gods for delivering us warmer temperatures so the water wasn't freezing on the road. Once again, another area I would have never visited if it wasn't for geocaching, and to top it off, a cool spot at GZ. I like these kind of places. Geocachers and hunters are probably the only people who find these things.

Always cool reading the description and getting a history lesson. Usually I skip the description, but as I'm driving I'll let the wife read it to me. I'd rather hear her reading then snoring or complaining about something. That's love. The find was easier than the last, so things are looking up. Time to head north, west. AIO TFTC TNLN
Seeker4Life
MGS Member

Post by Seeker4Life »

3/24/18 AfriendofB and I enjoyed a bagel and coffee at the kick off event for our first CAM ever. Then, in keeping with that relaxed pace, decided to head out for the two closest caches today, maybe three. After a nice walk at OC, we came this nice spot to find our second CAM 2018 of the day. Drove around looking at all the church lunches and Easter egg hunts before locating that very important waypoint: the WC! TFTC!
"Loving the journey--excited about the goal!"
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

3/25/18 CAM cache #1
I had an spring vendor fair with my LuLaRoe, so I wasn't able to get rolling right away. As soon as I was done, Pyro1970 and PegasusMoon picked me up and off we went! I love this area! I think the marshes and the lifestyle are a unique little corner of Maryland. I wanted to place a cache here a while back but had trouble getting permission, so I am really glad to see this geocache!
At the cache, we ran into several geocachers coming and going. We stayed a few minutes to chat and take pictures. We had just enough time to head on out and grab the other cache on the Eastern Shore!
Thanks for placing this geocache! It was very enjoyable!
Awesnap
MGS Member

5.Apr.2018 - CAM 2018: Deal Island

Post by Awesnap »

ABOUT OUR DAY:
Cache Clown 76 and I departed Prince William County at 0315 to head east on an epic 3 CAM cache run throughout the Delmarva Peninsula. I was a bit leery about waking up at 2:30 am to go caching, but I understood the logic. When we reached our first target this morning the sun had just popped up making it easy to start our geocache hunting. Best part was we both made it home before 5pm and were able to get our kids to their after school activities.

CACHE SPECIFIC LOG:
When we arrived there was a muggle walking two boxers. As we approached to say hello the two dogs got into a big fight. Needless to say I stay clear of them.

This was the easiest of the 3 CAMs we found today, and my favorite of the 3. We both enjoyed the scenery and checking out the old structure.

TFTC
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

Took the tour of the Eastern Shore with jlridge0929 today. I think we both were halfway toward canceling because the weather forecast for the area was getting worse and worse every day since we started tracking it on Tuesday. Even when I got out of bed this morning, we were supposed to get rain all day, possibly snow and ice. But on the other hand… CAM!

Made it to Deal Island without a problem. Including mostly without any rain. We made the short walk to the cache, and managed to easily avoid the muddy areas. We wandered a little further on to the water and drove down to the end of the road. Spotted one egret.

TFTC!
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

Found 4/8/2018 - CAM 2018 cache #6

I had some free time today and decided to seek the two Eastern Shore CAM 2018 caches and any others that I could along the way. This was a quick find once at GZ. Almost missed the little turn off for parking though. Collected the required information and was on my way. TNLN TFTC
polkadotmomma
MGS Member

Post by polkadotmomma »

Our second CAM cache today, this makes six total! It was a quick find for smalls and I, then the long drive home. Tftc!