Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Deal Island

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
Jdm438
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Deal Island

Post by Jdm438 »

This was our second CAM cache of the day but not the second geocache of the day. After our start in ocean city we detoured into Delaware to get some webcams, some brews, and of course delawares oldest cache. Once that was all out of the way we headed here. We found the cache easily and thought about exploring a bit but I noticed a tick on my shoelace so we instead went back to check ourselves at the car. Dsimcisko got 4 here, I only had the one. Be careful going after this one. Other than that it was a very neat location. Thanks for brining us here.
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

Did the Eastern Shore run on Friday the 13 and it was beautiful. We were doing the same route as cokelover and we finally met up at the Ocean City CAM. It was a long day, about 7.5 hours of driving and about 9.5 hours overall, but we were successful and now have 7 of the 10 we need.
WVKiwi
Former MGS Officer

Post by WVKiwi »

4/15/18

After spending the night in Bethany Beach, it was time to head west again this morning towards home. After a couple stops for a few other caches, we pulled into the parking lot at about 1:30 for what we hoped would be a easy find. Took the stroll to gz and arrived at what seemed to be a likely location but no container was obvious, only a plastic thumb stuck on a structure nearby. Looked a few other spots and then turned to the hint which suggested our initial suspicion was the right one. The promising hiding spot had some loose sticks and we spotted a couple fresh flowers recently cut laying strangely on the ground, but no cache container. Cell phone service was spotty, but I reached out to LPYankeefan who confirmed we were in the right spot. After a conversation with the hider, he supplied the code and directed us to leave a container behind with the info. if we could. We agreed and had just returned to the car to begin a search for what we might have with us when AlwaysLost00 & AL's Guide pulled up in their Jeep. We explained the situation and they ended up helping out by supplying a bison tube for a temporary hide. I wrote a note summarizing the status and providing the code, and then we all walked back to gz to give the area another search. No luck was had, but we did leave the green bison hanging on the structure next to gz to serve as a temporary cache. Even though it wasn't what we hoped to find, Deal Island was still a cool spot. #9 of 11 locations now visited!
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

CAM #3 04/15
We thought we had seen all of the eastern shore, but somehow missed this gem. The wetlands were beautiful. We saw a bald eagle and a blue heron right beside the road. The history of the area is fascinating. It would be fun to see the skipjack races on Labor Day weekend. Thanks for a very fun and well placed CAM cache.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

It appears that the original container for Deal Island went missing this weekend. An alert cacher contacted MGS (Thanks WVKiwi, AlwaysLost00 & AL's Guide!) and we coordinated a temporary replacement with the code at the same location. We expect a full size replacement to be placed on Tuesday. If you have any questions or issues, please contact the President or Vice President.
afriendofB
MGS Member

Post by afriendofB »

3/24/2018
We headed over to Deal Island after Ocean City to find the next Eastern Shore cache. No problem finding this one. We drove on to Winona and had a look at some of the skipjacks down at the harbor. It's another world down there. Great choice of location!
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

4/23/18 - Deal Island
Well, I saved the Eastern Shore for last and for a glorious day at that. Took forever to extract myself from the DC-Balt. work traffic. But the long drive and the stark isolation and beauty of the Eastern Shore fishing communities blissed me out. With the good weather, I figured the weekend would be crowded; and the logs of the surrounding caches proved it out. That's why a lazy sunny Monday seemed good for me. Imagine my surprise at meeting two cachers (karleigh66 and Two-if-by-sea) just finishing this cache out in the middle of Deal Island just as I arrived. Good to see others out doing a bit here and a bit there. I don't think I could survive a marathon 11 caches in one day road trip! Replacement cache and log were secure and dry. Doing caches later in the cycle definitely has a follow-the-beaten-path feel to it. But sometimes there are SO Many beaten paths! TFTC
MDFirecacher
MGS Member

Post by MDFirecacher »

4/13/18 Cam Cache #8 - The trip from Elk Neck took just a bit over three hours down through Delaware. Refueled and lunch on the way down... Encountered road construction around Salisbury but it did not really affect the travel time. Ran in to one geocacher walking out as I was walking in. Oddly, other than day 1 at Fort Frederick, this is the only time I ran in to another geocacher the entire trip. Found the area interesting - tried to decipher the scribe on artifacts nearby. Left personal pathtag. TFTC!
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

(04/28/2018 at 5:23pm EDT)
Well, this was was it: our 11th and final stop on the 2018 CAM trail. Always a little sad to finish up. This is the first year that at least one of my kids accompanied me to every single hide. Hopefully, it won’t be the last! We spent the morning and most of the afternoon in Ocean City, finding the CAM hide there, and getting some beach and boardwalk time in. At around 4:00, we packed up and drove across the peninsula to Deal Island. It was quiet and peaceful here, with no cell service for the last several miles: quite the contrast from O.C. We could not have asked for better weather. It was sunny and mild, but apparently not warm enough for mosquitoes, which I’m sure will be plentiful here come summer! There was no one else here when we arrived, likely because it was pretty late in the day. It’s too bad that the church and grounds have fallen into disrepair. A sign of the times, I suppose. We were happy to have a short walk to GZ, as we were all a little bit lethargic after the long day. We found the geotrail and carefully made our way to the cache, which was a quick find. All good here. After checking out the nearby headstones and the views of the water, it was time to pile into the van for the drive home. Great way to wrap up our 4th CAM. Can’t wait for the picnic. TNLNSL. TFTC!!
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

This was the first cache of the day Saturday after a long day of driving. We got a late start, because both of us were under the weather. For some strange reason, the navigation app took us past parking into Weona, and around a residential block before returning us to parking. Anyway, we popped over and grabbed the cache, and some photos of the water.
TeamRedOak
MGS Member

Post by TeamRedOak »

4/30 #10 Number ten and done! This was a wonderful site with beautifuk views. Thanks for another great CAM.