Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Lake Needwood

Discussion of CAM, the CAM caches, etc. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Lake Needwood

Post by littleblkdog »

You may post your CAM 2018: Lake Needwood logs here. No spoilers please! :shhh:
On May 5th you will be able to officially post your log on geocaching.com.
snowsox1023
MGS Member

Re: CAM 2018 LOGS - CAM 2018: Lake Needwood

Post by snowsox1023 »

Out on the opening day of CAM with DeathwishDave and Flamingo_girl. The trails at the park were very nice. We were able to pick up a few extra caches on our travels but not all of them due to time constraints. Thanks for the cool cache!
flamingo_girl
MGS Member

Post by flamingo_girl »

TFTC! Hitting the CAM trail with snowsox and death wish Dave on opening day. This is a nice park and I was able to get as close as I ever will to an APE cache. Thanks for the nice hike in a new parkm
Death Wish Dave
MGS Member

Post by Death Wish Dave »

Now that's an ammo can! Thanks for that surprise (sort of). I think this one had just gone missing when I started geocaching. Darn it. Trails were nice. The logs across the trail that we should have taken confused us so we walked on by and then kept getting farther away. Doubled back and made it there unscathed. Great stuff in the container. Thanks for the fun from DWD, flamingo_girl and Snowsox.
Last edited by Death Wish Dave on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
==============================================================================
The geocacher formerly know as CacheSKing.
mrbee&willowtree
MGS Member

Post by mrbee&willowtree »

Find #6 of CAM 2018.
Found with: Profbrad, 74vwBusFamily, and Superchucklez

What an epic 36 hours of geocaching and road tripping! We started out by driving from Altoona, PA to Salisbury, MD on March 23 and stayed overnight to be able to attend the kickoff event the next morning. After meeting with others and getting our .gpx files, we began our journey from SE to NW. All in all, we managed to get 7 CAM caches throughout the day. In between, we found some virtuals, a webcam, and a few other high-favorited caches in parts of DE and MD.

What a great revival of the original APE cache that used to be here! We never were able to find GCEF7, but this was a fantastic substitute! The hike to this one was a fun experience!
joejackson
MGS Member

Post by joejackson »

I introduced jlridge0929 to the wonders of CAM today! We had a brief moment on our way to this cache. My GPS receiver’s arrow doesn’t work consistently anymore. The compass calibration Garmin dance doesn’t work, either. Maybe I need to look for a firmware update. Anyway, since this cache isn’t published, it didn’t show up on her phone. We were counting on my GPS receiver, which picked this cache to really not point the right direction. Left the trail far too early, then met Real Lisa Simpson who was up on the trail heading for one of the bonus caches. We fell back to watching the distance change (which is very reliable even when the arrow is wonky) and found the cache pretty quickly. Love the container.

After this, we found most of the bonus caches. Somehow missed one. Still not sure how we skipped it. And my arrow was rock solid the rest of the day.

TFTC!
WVKiwi
Former MGS Officer

Post by WVKiwi »

3/24/18

After leaving Glen Echo, we set our sights on Lake Needwood next. Arrived at parking and set off up the trail and all was going smoothly until Saberspark77 began to express doubt whether we were really going the right direction. He turned us around and we headed back the path aways until we encountered two other cachers heading towards us. Hm...apparently our navigation wasn't going as badly as he had thought! We combined forces and headed back our initial direction, soon encountering yet another cacher who reported success wasn't far away. He recommended sticking to the path until the top of the hill, which we did and then some since distance soon began ticking upwards vs. downwards! We roamed back to another trail we spotted and worked our way back the right direction first finding a bonus cache and then encountering Nemo & Aronel before finally making it to gz. While our navigation certainly had taken us some extra time, finding of the cache was quick. After all, it's hard to overlook that kind of ammo can! Signed the log, made note of the code and brought the find count to now 2 of 11. Took time to squeeze in one more bonus cache and then set off to tour a few covered bridges before calling it a day. Overall, a very good start to another year of CAM! :)
Superchucklez
MGS Member

Post by Superchucklez »

TFTC... 3/24/28 One of the many stops that the JAGA crew made (Profbread, MrBee, 74vw, and i).... The CAM '18 series was the goal with a few webcams, virtuals, lighthouses, and various cache types along the way.... Made the find while meeting various cachers at various caches....

i've been to a couple fall picnics but never been to a CAM series kickoff party. I heard a lot of hype from profbread n the V W bus from their previous trips....

i never looked into these cuz i never have been able to get around to these... even with a bad knee these were fun this year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mortards
MGS Member

Post by mortards »

Found March 31st at 5:20 PM, CAM #5

Today we decided to spend this beautiful spring day seeking the two closest CAM caches to our house. Glen Echo was the first, then we ran some errands on the way home and as Lake Needwood is all of three miles from our house, we ended up here with the intent of grabbing the CAM cache along with a few others.
Couldn't have been a nicer day for walking around Needwood. We ran into a family of cachers from Catonsville who were also here to do CAM. They had already found the CAM cache and told us we wouldn't have any problem finding it... they weren't kidding. Only once before have we seen this style of container. Also happened to notice the swamp cabbage is coming in nicely!
Signed the log and left some goodies. All was well here today. Tried to cover it up as best we could.

We didn't have the time or stamina to find many of the other caches here but we'll leave them for another day. Thanks for placing all these caches. TFTC!
-mortards (Al & Michelle)

lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

(Saturday, March 31, 2018)
Back on the CAM trail for a second consecutive Saturday, this time with my two sons and nephew. This was our penultimate find of the day, and (of course) the primary objective of today’s visit to the park. We ran into cajun55 at GZ, for the second time today. Nice sized container, with lots of good swag. I guess if you weren’t lucky enough to have found the A.P.E. cache that was here back in the day, this is the next best thing. :) We took a break here after signing in, and hung around until the next group of cachers showed up. Then, off to pick up one last find before heading home. TFTC!!
sfcchaz
MGS Member

Post by sfcchaz »

Found on March 31, 2018 - CAM 2018 #2 of 11.

After completing the CAM 2018: Glen Echo Park cache earlier and running into Soccertoa and gvt1985 there, we joined forces for the CAM 2018: Lake Needwood cache. We found 22 geocaches in this park together today, including the most important one, :wink: before we had to part ways. All caches were in good shape unless otherwise noted.

GeoAPPs and ZombieHNTR arrived as we were completing the signatures and gathering the required information for later. Very nice container on this one. I've seen this container a few times over the years, but not very often (anyone remember the Tootsie Roll one?). This was a quick find once at GZ, how could it not be. :wink: We also ran into cajun55 on the way out. We chatted for a couple of minutes and exchanged pathtags. Thanks for the great tag. TNLN TFTC
bneeriemer
MGS Member

Post by bneeriemer »

This was highly unusual for me. I got lost and ended up at one of the bonus caches first. Apparently I missed the sign at Trail Head #2, and kept on walking. Oh well, we ended up back tracking and following the proper trail only to end up like 50 ft from where I originally discovered that I was lost. So, I guess I wasn't as lost as I thought I was...
Georick402
MGS Member

Post by Georick402 »

Lake Needwood - 4/5/18 - I have officially found all 11 CAM caches for the year 2018. I drove a total of 1,438 miles and spent $152 on gasoline. Started off on the east coast and ended here in Lake Needwood, and picked up an additional 93 caches on my travels.

A big thank you goes to all of the volunteers who make CAM possible. This was the closest CAM cache to my house, the reason I saved it for last. A nice park, with a lot of memories, as I didn't grow up too far from here, and spent a lot of time here as a child.

Cache was found without a problem. In fact, I didn't even need a GPS. Probably my first find ever, with a nice hike, and a find, without even using a GPS or the phone. Of course it helped that I'm the one who hid it. Enjoyed seeing all of the names in the logbook, and I'm sure a lot more other cachers still need to find it.

After this one, I made my way over to Chloe's CAM Bonus cache and made that an official find. Maybe one day she'll do the whole CAM series with me. AIO TFTC TNLN
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

4/7/18 Cam cache #8
We left home this morning with intentions to grab Eastport, Glen Echo, and this cache! We saved this one for last so we could grab some other caches while we were here! (And boy did we!) Surprisingly, we didn't run into any other cachers today, other than seeing Run and Hike in the distance as they quickly moved away from us!
It was interesting to learn the history of the APE cache. I wasn't aware that one had been placed in my home state! The container was so awesome I wanted to get a picture with it, but it's so awesomely in place, that was near impossible to get it's best side.
Thanks for bringing us here to this nice park! This is my first time here. We enjoyed the trails and non-trails as we traipsed from geocache to geocache! SL TFT
sharkb8007
MGS Member

Post by sharkb8007 »

4/7/18 - This was our first cache of the day, and our first time at Lake Needwood to cache. We enjoyed hiking through the woods, even if the walk was ultimately pretty short. The size of the cache was staggering, having never found anything that would qualify as size XXXL before. This was extra fun for us because afterwards we headed a little south-east and grabbed CrabbsBranch13 on a little island in the creek. Unfortunately we didn't have much time today to explore the area, and only grabbed one bonus cache. We'll definitely be back, thank you for bringing us to this awesome park! (Log signed as ENB608 :smt049)
All caches signed as EnB608 :smt049
Run&Hike
MGS Member

Post by Run&Hike »

SATURDAY, APRIL 7
CAM CACHE CONUNDRUM: Why is it, that the night before you want to go caching, when you check NWS, The Weather Channel, Accuweather and Wunderground they all have the same forecast (which turns out to be wrong), OR, they appear to be forecasting the weather for four different planets! We originally planned to get Eastport and Point Lookout today, but last night the forecast for Point Lookout was so yucky that we cancelled. Then this morning we decided not to waste another Saturday and crossed the Bay hoping to get Eastport, Glen Echo and Lake Needwood in spite of the forecast of rain or snow, neither of which materialized. We got home at 8:18 tonight after logging those three CAM caches, six bonus caches and nine others, walking 6.5 miles and driving 339.
Having completed Eastport and Glen Echo we knew how much time we had left to cache before heading back to the Eastern Shore, but still decided to get "the important one" first. Wow! It's been a while since we've walked trails like this. Happily, good trailheads and coords made this an enjoyable walk to an easy find. We were just retrieiving the cache when we saw the MDSurveyor team arriving and I tried to conceal the cache in my hand. :lol: We talked while logging, then went our separate ways. By the end of the day, with this cache and others here, we had walked 2.99 miles around Lake Needwood. Seven down, four to go!
MARYLANDCrab
MGS Member

Post by MARYLANDCrab »

First weekend of CAM, the Crabs started easy. We did Lake Needwood and eight of the bonus caches while we were there. Met GeneHunter and Daisy Chain on the trail. One of the nice things about CAMs.
soccertoa
Former MGS Officer

Post by soccertoa »

March 31, 2018
Gvt1985 and I headed out early on a chilly Spring morning to grab the Glen Echo and Needwood CAM caches. Fortunately we ran into sfcchaz while at Glen Echo and he followed us over here to hit up Lake Needwood. We didn't head directly to the CAM cache, but did the turtle letterbox first and then a bunch of caches in that part of the park. We eventually ran into GeoApps and Zombiehntr and finally made our way over to the CAM cache which we found quickly. Definitely the biggest CAM cache I've ever found and I was surprised how much swag was in there. We didn't hang around there too long, since there were so many more caches to find in just this section of the park. I really like this park, it's pretty rugged, but has some good trails and best of all, there were very few thorn bushes. I'll definitely be back to do some more caching in the park some day.
Woodsman51
MGS Member

Post by Woodsman51 »

4/6/18 - Lake Needwood
Out on my second CAM day and still not running on all cylinders.
A beautiful warm Spring day to spend hiking around this park looking for all sorts of caches.
Wow, that's some ammo box; what kinda ammo do you store in it, A-bombs?
Cache secure and log was dry.
The sound of the cover latches resounded throughout the park when I closed it!
TFTC
up & down
MGS Member

Post by up & down »

March 25th....our second CAM2018 cache. They don't make caches much bigger then this one. What a great area to cache in. We never been here before. We will definitely come back to get more caches. We met Seadog129, Schwandt and dminimax on the trail. We also ran into joejackson and jlridge0929 on the trail. There was a lot of people at this park on the cold Sunday.