Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

December 2013 Spotlight - littleblkdog

Highlighting Maryland's finest cachers!
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

December 2013 Spotlight - littleblkdog

Post by Calvertcachers »

It is a pleasure to introduce Phil - littleblkdog in our December Member Spotlight! Since he began caching in 2011, he has made some impressive achievements by finishing a variety of geotrails and challenges. Phil also found THE GAUNTLET cache which sounds like a very fun yet demanding cache.

Say hello to Phil!

Interview Date: October 2013
Caching Name: littleblkdog

1. How did you become involved in geocaching? When did you start?
I had heard about geocaching once or twice on the internet. I even looked into it once but didn’t see a lot of geocaches (I think I might have been looking at Garmin’s site) and it didn’t seem that interesting. But I was interested in a GPS unit since I liked to hike but didn’t see much use since I had never had much trouble getting around. I was finally enticed to buy a unit by a sale at REI and I figured I would give geocaching a try. I remember being really surprised by the amount of caches compared to when I first looked into caching just a year or two earlier. On that second look I discovered that many of my favorite hiking and running spots were full of geocaches.

2. How did you choose your caching name?
At first, I just used my initials. But after reading some of the creative names in the logs, I decided to use our name for the dog. Midnight is pretty easy going but she worries. So when she sees something that worries her she will bark once at it as if to say “I am a little black dog, who are you?” to see if it barks back at her. She does this a lot so we decided it might make a good caching name.

3. How many caches have you found so far?
Right now I am at 1700+.

4. What brand/type of GPS do you use?
I use a Garmin GPSmap 62s. I really like pretty much everything about it.

5. What programs/software or hardware (PDA/laptop/phone) do you use to make caching easier?
GSAK is definitely a must have for logging and also for some of the macros. I really like the compilation style challenges such as the DeLorme and geotrails like the Star Spangled Banner so having Google Earth really helps quite a bit as well. I recently got an iPhone for Father’s Day and that has helped looking up older logs and some Wikipedia lookups for puzzle caches.

6. What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual?

I really like the non-traditional icons because they aren’t as common. I try and get every virtual I can. I am also trying to find every EarthCache in Maryland but that is a pretty big challenge. But really I like any cache that has a reason behind it whether it is a park and grab or a complex multi or puzzle.

7. Which caches were the most challenging – physically/mentally? Why?
I think the compilation challenges are the hardest because of the time required to go everywhere you might need to find a cache.

8. Do you have a favorite or favorites among the Maryland caches that you’ve found?
(Feel free to list a favorite for each type of cache) Do you have a favorite in a nearby state?

My single favorite Maryland cache to date is Psycho Urban Cache #8 - Ghost in Ancient Citadel GCT66Z
My favorite Multi is Psycho Urban Cache #8 - Ghost in Ancient Citadel GCT66Z
My favorite Virtual is Merlin at Work? GCK31A
My favorite Earthcache is The Devils Eyebrow - An Appalachian Tale GC1DAD3
My favorite Unknown is Maryland Top 10 Challenge GC360ZH
Close second: The Maryland and Delaware DeLorme Challenge GCR7CH
My favorite Event is any CAM picnic!
Close second: S.U.R.F.E.R. II #1: 6AM - JANUARY GC4FDFE
My favorite traditional is Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now! GCY72P
My absolute favorite is: THE GAUNTLET - GC1NEPJ.

9. What’s the most unusual thing that you’ve ever found in a cache?
Nothing really stands out as unusual. Some stuff that shouldn’t be in caches like lip balm, lighters, miscellaneous food (even I wouldn’t eat that!) and lots of moldy, mildewy stuff.

10. What are your current caching goals? Is there a certain cache that you can’t wait to do?
My goals for 2013 are:
Place another Christmas series - I really wanted to do this but it is out since I will be moving shortly after the New Year 100 caches in a day - Done thanks to a trip to the Bling Trail in South Carolina, an awesome trip with good friends
MML 2013 - Done
CAM 2013 - Done
MD Delorme - Done
DE Delorme - Just need to find the final
VT Delorme - 4 more to go
NJ Delorme - 6 more to go
Jasmer - only July 2000 left with a trip in October planned
Fizzy - Only DT 4/5 left to go

11. How many caches have you placed? Do you have a current hiding goal?
I have 36 out including some events. There are some more events planned for special dates in 2013. I would like to put out more caches but since I will be moving there really isn’t any more time for placing right now. My wife, Donna, came up with more ideas for a few short series but since we are moving we will probably hold off.

12. What advice would you give someone that wants to place a cache? What steps do YOU take when placing a cache?
Get a wide variety of finds under your belt first. Caches should have a good reason, a good hide and a good cache page. If you have all three it will be a good cache. If you can’t have all three you should do your best with what you can, especially the hide and the back story.

13. How often do you go caching?
I cached every day for 2012 (and a little more) but it started taking up too much time. Now I cache at least once a week. I usually spend most of one of the weekend days caching.

14. What advice would you give a beginning geocacher?
Get out and give it a try. I had a pretty hard time with my first few finds but it comes easier now. I really like getting out and exploring. There are some great places to go caching in Maryland so get out and see what there is to find.

15. Have you completed CAM in the past? What was your favorite aspect?
I completed half of 2011 before I had to travel out of state. There was no way I was missing 2012. I really like getting out and about across the state. I love to travel for caching.

16. Do you collect geocoins? Of the ones that you’ve collected, which is your favorite?
I don’t really collect geocoins. But I do like earning them for compilation challenges. I have earned CAM 2012, MML 2012, SSB, CJS and WGD 2012. I really like driving around for the challenges.

17. What type of gear do you carry with you on your caching trips? What’s in your geopack?
Mostly the usual stuff. Gloves, extendable magnet, spare batteries (yeah eneloops!), headlamp, flashlight, swag, pens, etc.

18. What is your most memorable caching experience?
THE GAUNTLET - GC1NEPJ. It is a crazy cache. We found it four years after the FTF with no finds between us and the FTF. We hiked and cached all day, 9 hours, for one find (well, two actually, there was another on the trail). It has only 9 finders in since it was published in March 2009 and those finders are really only two groups of cachers. Stage after stage, rope work, caves, abandoned buildings, hills, bushwhacking, trails. It was crazy.

19. What is your best caching story?
THE GAUNTLET - GC1NEPJ. It really was crazy.

20. What do you like about geocaching? What keeps you going?
I have always wanted to see what was around the corner, to go just down the road a little more. I really like working on the different stats and getting out and seeing things.

21. Besides geocaching, what other things do you like to do?
Hiking (which is really geocaching now), reading, watching TV and movies. I love a good story.

22. What question did you expect us to ask but didn’t. What is the answer?
I think you covered everything.

cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Re: December 2013 Spotlight - littleblkdog

Post by cooley1103 »

I have cached with Phil many times, and its always a pleasure.

Phil did not mention it, but he is currently serving our nation as a Naval Warrant Officer. So thank you for your service to our nation.
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

Love the spotlight. Its is always fun to cache with littleblkdog. Great write up. :applause:
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
Snurt
MGS Director

Post by Snurt »

Excellent spotlight. And thanks for your service to Our Country.
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

Thanks for a very nice write up :applause: Your pictures are really fun.
spikep
Former MGS Officer

Post by spikep »

Great spotlight for a great local cacher.
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

Post by ksullivan »

It's been nice to see you on the trails! It seems we were following you for a while on the Wizard trail. It was cool and timely to get to read about your adventures. The Gauntlet just got added to my Geo-bucket list!
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

I love reading these highlights and getting to know my fellow cachers a little better! I didn't know ANY of this stuff about you - but I do know this... Maryland is going to be sad to lose such a fun geocacher! :( I know I have enjoyed finding several of your caches! And I need to get out there and find MORE of them before you leave! And I certainly wish you all the best... :D (and... where is that tin man at???)
TeamPanda173
MGS Member

Post by TeamPanda173 »

Great write up for a cacher we really enjoy hanging and caching with. Will never forget some of the crazy adventures we have shared either on top of a pillar or walking through jungles and deep mud for a hydrocache.
Hixon
MGS Member

Post by Hixon »

Supercool write-up. I'm very impressed by your compilation accompishments. Gauntlet definitely looks like a must-do at some point.

Be safe.
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

Great writeup for a good caching friend. Some of my favorite caching excursions involve caching with Phil including the first time our family ever met Phil. Our family was at Fort Howard heading to Stage 1 of PUC 8 just so our son Aaron could see one of the infamous PUC caches, and as we get there we hear someone yell, "Are you looking at PUC#8." It was Phil along with acpape and they had just found Stage 1. They allowed us to join them and a couple hours later we all had the final container in hand.
It will be sad to you leave Maryland.
Msmit002
MGS Member

Post by Msmit002 »

I have seen your logs in a lot of the caches we have sought out. Really cool to read this write-up. Now that I have found that they are featured monthly, I'll have to go back and read about other cachers I have met. ;)
wizardofmd69
MGS Member

Post by wizardofmd69 »

What a GREAT write-up for a great cacher and good friend. It's cool to learn some other things about you Phil! We love caching with you and your caching buddy(littleblackdog) :applause: We hope to see you in the field and I believe you finished your fizzy on the Wizard Trail!! :dance: :applause:
Callie's_Krewe
MGS Member

Post by Callie's_Krewe »

That's my caching buddy, Phil!
Run Amok
MGS Member

Post by Run Amok »

Great bio - never knew your name was Phil! As a cacher that has only been in the area for a year, you welcomed me warmly when I didn't know anyone and made me feel like part of the group. I appreciated that. I moved here on the 21st of Dec and your reindeer series were some of the first caches I did. This Christmas it will be the 12 days series.

I love your spirit and the fact that you plan to spend your retirement caching. That's a true geo-addict. :)

See you on the trail!
WVTim
MGS Member

Post by WVTim »

Great write up! Appears we "used" to be neighbors. Well, not literally, I moved out years ago, but I used to live in Clarksville. Nice meeting you.