Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

March 2014 "Caching Kids" Spotlight- Porky Pinkle Pits

Highlighting Maryland's finest cachers!
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

March 2014 "Caching Kids" Spotlight- Porky Pinkle Pits

Post by ksullivan »

It is my pleasure to introduce a young cacher whom I have not yet met. However, I feel like I already know him after hearing stories from his doting grandfather, Snurt. Meet Porky Pinkle Pits.

Name: Journey
Geo Name: Porky Pinkle Pits
School Grade: 1st

1. What is your geocaching name?
My caching name is Porky Pinkle Pits, but I’m ready to change it. I mostly cache with my ‘Amps who is known as Snurt.

2. What is your favorite thing about geocaching?
I like most spending time with ‘Amps, being outside and getting active. I love hiking and rock hopping to cross creeks.
Porky Pinkle Pits and 'Amps (Snurt)

3. Do you tell your friends about geocaching?
When I mention ‘geocaching’ to my school buddies they look at me funny. I usually leave it at.

4. Have you ever taken your friends geocaching?
I haven’t ever cached with my friends, but my best friend down the street is Sebastian and he wants to cache sometime. Seby makes me laugh.

5. What types of caches do you like to find?
I like Inspector Gadget type caches, like the ones you have to let down out of a tree with string. I have seen WVTim’s secret workshop at his place. I also caught an 18” bass in his lake.

6. Of all the caches you have found, do you have a favorite?
I don’t really have a favorite…wait, ‘Amps and I recently found a really neat one. It was by a fishing hole at a creek. It was a regular stick with fish string, a bobber and cache hooked to it. All you could see was the stick. I was happy to find it first.

7. Have you hidden or helped hide a geocache?
I haven’t hidden a cache. I want to hide a regular one sometime with lots of neat stuff for other kids my age. No nanos for me.

8. Do you like going on long hikes or adventurous types of caches?
I haven’t been on really long hikes yet, but I like caching in groups. If I get tired there are plenty of people who offer to carry me.

Catching a Ride

9. What has been your most adventurous or fun cache find?
Cachers from our camp at Geowoodstock went night caching. It was a several stage and we found some of the stages. Everyone was laughing and crashing through the bushes and I even collected a tick which ‘Amps found the next morning. We never found the cache, but I got a lot of piggy-back rides from Natalie, Deepdish, Jeff and ‘Amps.
GeoWoodstock XI with Friends

10. What is your favorite type of swag to find in a cache?
Well, I like to find little action figures and play coins. My favorite was a little Frankenstein from Hotel Transylvania. I would like to find some Trashies in caches, but most kids don’t about them yet and even if they do, they probably won’t want to give them up.

11. What type of GPS do you use?
It’s that commercial on TV. I can even sing it (edit…and he did).
“Give a, give a, give a Garmin,
Give a, give a, give a Garmin,
Screen clear and wide,
Whole world in sight
Garmin dot com, Garmin dot com”

12. Do you like going to geocaching events?

I do like events, specially the big ones like Geowoodstock. I have been there twice. Lots of stuff to do and see. There was a moon bounce and really cool slides at one. I like LP’s events at Ci-Ci’s. The pizza is good and there’s a play room in the back.
Hatfield McCoy Event

13. What kind of games to you like at geo-events?

Well, I don’t know. At Geowoodstock I really liked the clown who made neat animals with balloons. The play area was great. I tried to climb the climbing mountain, but my legs were too short then. Now I’m a cub scout and I can make it clear to the top. The fireworks next to our hotel were awesome.
GeoWoostock X

14. Do you participate in other activities or sports?
I like to play soccer both inside and outside. Last year our indoor team didn’t lose one game at all.

15. Outside of school, what other types of hobbies to you enjoy?
I have two model rockets that are fun. They even have parachutes. For cub scouts ‘Amps and I built a pinewood derby race. I got third-place trophy for fastest car and now we have to race against the rest of the county. I’m hoping for another trophy, but it’s going to be tough.

16. What suggestions do you have for cache hides, hiders, or even games?
I think a neat idea for a cache would be in tree house, well, maybe even with a scary Halloween idea.

17. Is there anything else you would like to share.
No. Not right now.

18. What is your favorite subject in school.
School is boring. But right now I like science and Spanish.

19. What would you like to be when you grow up or study in college.
I would like to be an action hero when I grow up. Playing soccer would be fun too.

20. If you could go geocaching anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I would like geocache in Transylvania.

21. Are there any caches that you have not found that you would like to find?
Oh yeah! I want go see Tim’s Cave cache and his honey beehive cache. But I don’t want to get stung.
OhMelli
MGS Member

Re: March 2014 "Caching Kids" Spotlight- Porky Pinkle Pits

Post by OhMelli »

Well Porky Pinkle Pits, I just want you to know that I HAVE left trashies in caches! Lots of them! But that was several months ago... I will have to get more! But I think they are awesome SWAG too! It certainly was my pleasure to meet you through this interview - and I HOPE to meet you on the trail or at an event some time! I'm afraid I can't do the piggy back thing though... this old timer has a bad back! :lol:
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

Nice writeup. Kristen and I met Journey at GeowoodstockX, when he was camping with his grandpa and grandma next to cabin we rented. I remember the piggy back rides in the 100 degree heat. It is always nice to see you at events including the Christmas ugly sweater event a couple of months ago in which you won despite some tough competition.
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

Great write up and great amps that takes you caching. Always great to see you out on the trails and so young to finding caches. :D
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

It brings a big smile to my face to see Journey featured in our "caching kids" spotlight! We have had the pleasure of knowing and caching alongside Journey and his Amps since he could walk. Actually Journey is a seasoned pro when it comes to geocaching and PR. If you recall, Journey was featured in the MPT segment on Capt. John Smith. The day of the taping, it was hot and it went on for hours. There were dozens of re-takes but throughout it all, Journey never complained and kept a happy smile on his face!!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7701

Way to go Journey!

Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

Great job, Journey :applause:
eissak
Former MGS Officer

Post by eissak »

It was great reading about you! I love your name. I hope to meet you sometime! :)