Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

February 2014 Spotlight-Tabbikat

Highlighting Maryland's finest cachers!
ksullivan
Former MGS Officer

February 2014 Spotlight-Tabbikat

Post by ksullivan »

It is a real pleasure to introduce to you an avid geocacher that happens to be good friend of mine! I met this cacher one afternoon on the side of the road, looking for cache. I was with my nieces and she was with a group of cachers and they had quite the memorable team name. Many years later, I have a great friend and travel buddy. I'm happy that everyone else will get to know her a little better through this profile! Meet Tabbikat

Caching Name: Tabbikat
Interview Date: 12/5/13

1. How did you become involved in geocaching? When did you start?
In 2009, I was a member of a Harford County MD hiking group and one of the hikers mentioned geocaching. I looked it up and found my first cache close to my house. I was immediately hooked!

2. How did you choose your caching name?
My first cat was a tabby and being an animal lover, I thought this was the perfect name.

3. How many caches have you found so far?
Excited to say I reached the 10,000 milestone in November.

4. What brand/type of GPS do you use?
I’m still using the first handheld I bought, a Garmin Etrex Legend HCX. I could use a new one but this one has been good to me. I also use a Garmin Nuvi 500 for driving and loading/logging caches.

5. What programs/software or hardware (PDA/laptop/phone) do you use to make caching easier?
GSAK is a must when planning a trip or logging multiple caches. I use CacheStats to look at statistics or if I need to see where I have a duplicate log.

6. What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual?
My favorite caches are virtuals especially when they take you to historic and scenic spots. I also love challenge caches and always having something to work on. Right now, I’m trying to finish up the 5 mile to 500 mile cache from home. I think I see another road trip coming up soon!

7. Which caches were the most challenging – physically/mentally? Why?
During the summer, KSullivan and I went out west and visited National Parks. Some of these were physically challenging due to the higher elevation that we weren’t used to. As far as mentally, the puzzles in Sussex County DE are quite a challenge. Sometimes I enjoy them, and other times the headaches take over….thank goodness the puzzle masters are always willing to help.

8. Do you have a favorite or favorites among the Maryland caches that you’ve found?
Some of the more memorable caches are:
Church Point - GL8M0ACV – I love St Marys county and this cache is perfect. Beautiful views, a virtual and a nice dip in the water.

The Maryland and Delaware DeLorme Challenge - GCR7CH – This took me 3 years to complete and I loved it. I enjoyed becoming obsessed with the MD map and filling in the grid. The final hike I did on my birthday in 2012 with Evanspack and loved the hike.

Maryland's Highest Waterfall - GC1H890 – I attended my first MD fall picnic last year and it has to be my favorite MD event. We had a great time doing this earth cache with so many great people. Then we went on the other side and did an older CAM cache, CAM 2005 - Swallow Falls, GCN33T which was such a nice walk in a beautiful area.

Lincoln Logs - GC2FC0 – I had always wanted to come to Point Lookout and was so happy there was a virtual there!

MML 2013 - Washington Grove District 5 - GC411D9 – Loved the quaint neighborhood!

Do you have a favorite in a nearby state?

"Your Key To Cache" - GC3DYYT – The biggest cache I’ve ever seen!
Centralia, The Burning Town - GCPK46 – Creepy but cool ghost town
Wash National Cathedral - GC5C7F – We took a tour of this beautiful church; breathtaking.
She Watches Over Them... - GCYXAE – Cemetery caches are my favorite and this cache brings you to one that makes you want to cry. The monuments are beautiful but the cemetery has been left to ruins. I’m glad a cache brought us here.

And so many of the WVTim caches!

9. What’s the most unusual thing that you’ve ever found in a cache?
One of the weirdest things we recently saw in a cache was a real squirrel tail…yuck!

10. What are your current caching goals? Is there a certain cache that you can’t wait to do?
I’m obsessed with states and I currently have cached in 29 plus Canada. I’m always looking for ways to travel to cross off more.

11. How many caches have you placed? Do you have a current hiding goal?
I have 58 caches hidden, 10 of those being event caches. No hiding goals, but 2014 will be the 5th Annual Ice Cream Social which is always fun.

12. What advice would you give someone that wants to place a cache?
Have a good amount of finds under your belt before hiding a cache, read the guidelines and one of my pet peeves is have adequate parking. A cache thrown off the side of the road isn’t pleasant.

13. How often do you go caching?
Usually one day on the weekend is my day to cache with my friends unless life gets in the way.

14. What advice would you give a beginning geocacher?
Attend events to make geo-buddies. This way you will learn about caching and have a partner in crime. It makes caching so much more fun.

15. Have you completed CAM in the past? What was your favorite aspect?
Last year was my first year completing CAM. The previous two years something came up and I wasn’t able to. I loved the locations that each one took you to and enjoyed meeting cachers at each stop. Receiving the coin and attending the picnic were added bonuses.

16. Do you collect geocoins? Of the ones that you’ve collected, which is your favorite?
Yes, I collect coins and the challenge coins mean the most to me. Star Spangled Banner, Captain John Smith, WGD, Washington County…loved completing each.

17. What type of gear do you carry with you on your caching trips? What’s in your geopack?
Oh pretty much the standard stuff…pens, spare logs, tweezers, magnetic scope, wipes, batteries.

18. What is your most memorable caching experience?
One of my favorite things about caching is the road trips that we go on. I have fond memories of caching the Bling Trail in NC. I traveled down with Evanspack and JerseyJoey and I think we laughed for 4 straight days. We did the Bling Trail with fellow DE cachers and had a great time, even though it was hard work! The next day caching around TopSail Beach was great.

19. What is your best caching story?
I think the one that sticks out is when KSullivan and I were sightseeing and caching our way through Yellowstone National Park. We stopped to do the virtual, GCJKVZ Yellowstone Forever #4. We walked over to the lone grave, got the info and took a couple of pictures. Neither one of us saw the bison that was standing right behind us! When I turned and saw him, the words that came out of my mouth were so funny and I was pointing, so that Kelly could turn around too! We laughed and laughed and backed out slowly!

20. What do you like about geocaching? What keeps you going?
Caching has enriched my life in many ways. I have been to so many cool, historic, scenic places that I never would have been to if we weren’t caching. I love that. I enjoy the creativity of caches, the hunt for a cache and planning trips. Most of all, I have met wonderful people that I’m lucky to call my friends and we have a blast! I keep going because of how much fun I have and it’s never boring!

21. Besides geocaching, what other things do you like to do?
I enjoy scrapbooking, cooking, listening to music, travel and spending time with my nephew.

22. What question did you expect us to ask but didn’t. What is the answer?
It’s not really a question but I wanted to share something I’m very proud and excited about. In 2013, I formed the Delaware Caching Committee which consists of some great cachers in the area. We held a silent auction that raised enough money to have a great summer picnic, which was a blast. I’m looking forward to doing more in 2014!
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Re: February 2014 Spotlight-Tabbikat

Post by littleblkdog »

A very nice write-up. I definitely recognized some of those places in the pictures!
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

We first met Tabbikat via a long email chain where we were trying to help her find a safe place to park long term while she was working on CAM last year. Then we met her for real at the swinging bridge to CAM 2013-Western MD just by coincidence. Since then we have seen her everywhere and each you can see the excitement that caching brings to her.

Chris is a great cacher and an even better friend.
eissak
Former MGS Officer

Post by eissak »

I read that as "bison tube" not "bison". Wow, that's crazy!!!!

It was great reading about you. Hope to meet you soon! :)
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

Thanks for the very fun write-up, Chris! It is nice getting to know you through the Spotlight. :smt006
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

It brings a smile to my face to read about Chris in our Member Spotlight. We have had the pleasure to become friends with Chris over the past several years and she is a great person! Her work for the Delaware Geocaching Society is commendable and their events are a ton of fun!

DE Geocachers Spring Fling and Geo-Auction: http://coord.info/GC4WYGV

I have to admit that I am still jealous over your trip out west last summer to all of the National Parks - amazing adventure!!

Thanks for participating!
2B's
MGS Member

Post by 2B's »

We have meet wonderful people thru geocaching and Chris is one of them.
humphr1d
Former MGS Officer

Post by humphr1d »

Great write-up and I enjoyed learning more about you Chris. I remember meeting you while doing the Washington County Geo-Trail at Devils Backbone.
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

Great write up!!!! Glad we got to know you a little better.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
OhMelli
MGS Member

Post by OhMelli »

I've run into Chris a few times either on the trail or at events. The thing that always impresses me is her amazing smile and infectious laugh!!! I know she (and whoever is with her) has a blast where ever she goes!!! Great spotlight! :D
Hixon
MGS Member

Post by Hixon »

Great write-up, and a belated congrats on 10,000! I hope the next 10,000 as just as rewarding.
WVTim
MGS Member

Post by WVTim »

Great write up Chris. Nice getting to know you a little better.