Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

June 2017 Member Spotlight: Subfamous

Highlighting Maryland's finest cachers!
humphr1d
Former MGS Officer

June 2017 Member Spotlight: Subfamous

Post by humphr1d »

Through a recommendation from another MGS member, I was introduced to this month's MGS Spotlight Members who has burst upon the geocaching scene this past year. I have the pleasure of introducing Subfamous, who has been caching for less than a year and has already accrued 1,000 finds and placed 40 caches.

Interview Date: June 1

Caching Name: Subfamous

1. How did you become involved in geocaching. When did you start?

I knew about geocaching for quite a while but never really looked into it until I heard someone at work telling a story about a really difficult geocache they found over the weekend. I looked it up on my phone and discovered the Geocaching App and downloaded it and within a day or two figured out how it all worked and found my first cache and was hooked. I found my first cache on 7/15/16.

2. How did you choose your caching name?

I’ve been using this name for over a decade for various video games and also used it as the name of my small photography business.

3. How many caches have you found so far?

4. What brand/type of GPS do you use?

I use a Magellan Explorist GC and my iPhone

5. What programs/software or hardware (PDA/laptop/phone) do you use to make caching easier?

I definitely use my iPhone with the Geocaching App for a quick FTF.

6. What type of cache do you prefer seeking – traditional, multi, puzzle, virtual?

Right now I am doing mostly traditional caches to help me reach my goal of finding 1000 caches within my first year, but I prefer virtuals and earthcaches. These take me to places I would never have gone without a cache.

7. Which caches were the most challenging – physically/mentally? Why?

Difficult terrain caches challenge me the most physically, I have arthritis and weakness on my left side from a really bad car accident about 20 years ago.

8. What’s the most unusual thing that you’ve ever found in a cache?

A $100 USD bill with Japanese writing on it. I did some research and found out that it is used to help teach about US currency to Japanese students.

9. What are your current caching goals? Is there a certain cache that you can’t wait to do?

Right now I am focused on getting 1000 caches within my first year. I really want to do https://coord.info/GC2HN2H, Raiders of the Lost Cache. I have heard a lot about it and seen pictures online.

10. How many caches have you placed? Do you have a current hiding goal?

I have hidden 41 caches so far, but I do not have a particular hiding goal at this time.

11. What advice would you give someone that wants to place a cache? What steps do YOU take when placing a cache?

Make sure your coordinates are the best they can be, the most frustrating thing is to get to a ground zero (GZ) and after a long time searching finding the cache 100 feet away.

I will look on Geocaching.com for open areas, then I will scope out the area for places to hide or hang the cache and place it at that moment. I then use the NASA longitude/latitude finder to get the precise location of the cache. I then fill out all the information and submit the cache. Our Maryland reviewer, SirCrab, is pretty quick to review it and activate the cache. I then sit and check my email every ten minutes to see who the FTF is.

12. How often do you go caching?

I only go caching once or twice a week. My son is just about to turn 1 and it’s hard to get out more than that.

13. What advice would you give a beginning geocacher?

Ask questions, find events, and meet people. I wouldn’t be caching if I didn’t meet people and make some new friends at events.

14. Have you completed CAM in the past? What was your favorite aspect?

2017 has been my first CAM. I loved the various types of caches that were put out. Most of the locations it took me to placves that I would not have visited if it were not for the CAM caches.

15. Do you collect geocoins? Of the ones that you’ve collected, which is your favorite?

I do collect geocoins. My favorite is the Civil War Heritage trail coin. This is the first coin I earned.

16. What type of gear do you carry with you on your caching trips? What’s in your geopack?

My backpack always has my phone, my Magellan GPS, gloves, flashlight, cache containers, extra logs, and pens. I also have random things like zip ties, magnets, and number stickers from time to time.

17. What is your most memorable caching experience?

https://coord.info/GCQ2Z7, G.P.S., which is a multicache. It was my most difficult D/T attempted and it definitely earned every bit of the 4/4 rating. Lots of leaves on the hillsides and the cold weather when I found this made this a very memorable cache. Not mention, I stood above the GZ for more than 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get to it.

18. What is your best caching story?

I was looking for a yellow box cache in a shopping center when I notice I was being watched by a security guard about 40 yards away. I went to the car and grabbed my gloves and continued looking. A few minutes went by and I saw that the security guard was slowing creeping my way. I was able to find the cache and sign the log before the security guard made it over to me. I quickly grabbed my phone and pretended I was talking to someone about the box being broken. The security guard stopped and approached me and asked what I was doing. I pretended to put someone on hold and told the guard that I was inspecting the box because there was a complaint that the yellow box was not functioning properly. Luckily this yellow box did have an issue with the door. He said he just wanted to make sure because they have an issue with people stealing stuff out of the box. He got back to his car and drove away. I sat there for a few more minutes with my phone to my ear and then got in my car and left. So far this is the only cache I’ve been approached on and I think I handled it like a pro.

19. What do you like about geocaching? What keeps you going?

The thrill of the hunt. If it’s local I also love the excitement of a first to find (FTF). If I am finding an older or more difficult cache, I like the aspect of finding creative ways of searching without bringing attention to myself.

20. Besides geocaching, what other things do you like to do?

I love spending time with my fiancé and son. They are my whole world.

21. What question did you expect us to ask but didn’t. What is the answer?

I think you did a pretty good job.
candybear118
MGS Member

Re: June 2017 Member Spotlight: Subfamous

Post by candybear118 »

Congratulations you are a awesome cacher well deserved
wizardofmd69
MGS Member

Post by wizardofmd69 »

Way to go brother!! What a great write up! Cache on!!
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

great write up. Can't wait to meet you on the trails.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
anitajforever
MGS Member

Post by anitajforever »

Congratulations you are doing a great job . no caching you but not far behind LOL again congrats you deserve it