Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

MGS Specialty Plates 101–150

What's New And Exciting in the MGS

Which MGS logo should be used on the next run of license plates?

1. Current logo (‘Maryland Bootprints’)
33%
2. Proposed logo (‘Round Hiker’)
67%

Total votes: 24

lavidaloca
MGS Member

Re: MGS Specialty Plates 101–150

Post by lavidaloca »

18. lavidaloca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zekester
MGS Member

Post by zekester »

Grateful if the core could provide an update on where we are at with the new MGS license plate project.
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

zekester wrote:Grateful if the core could provide an update on where we are at with the new MGS license plate project.
First off, I apologise for the molasses rate of progress with this topic. We've been slowed down by artwork issues, but I also confess to intentional procrastination. Waiting on hold with the MVA sucks the lifeforce out through my ears, and it can take weeks to build up the courage to call again. Zekester's post prompted me to make more phonecalls, and we now have more clear information than we had previously.

Short version:
While significant headway with the artwork problem was made yesterday, we remain unable to change the logo due to having only 18 of the 25 required sign-ups. We will be reordering plates with the original logo.

Long version:
Changing the artwork has proved a complicated process. Someone from the year 2017 might expect it to be as simple as e-mailing a vector file, when in fact the printing equipment in the prisons still uses an old process requiring color-separated artwork on acetate sheets (the method used in applying the logo to the plates is similar to a screen printing process). The MVA requires organizations to provide their own acetate sheets. Most of the printing houses we contacted were unable to supply what we need, and the few who were able were unwilling to reconfigure their equipment to "an outdated format" to print only four sheets. For months the MVA has been a dead-end because, being a government agency, their representatives are not allowed to recommend a printing company to us. Yesterday we got lucky. Someone who didn't know better let slip a name and phone number, and that company CAN do the job for us. This work would cost in the ballpark of $117.

All seemed promising until today when I spoke to another MVA agent. The "list of 25 names" must be a list of 25 real-person names along with their current tag numbers. (I.e. adding "Liberty ManBear" and "Loch Raven ManGoose" to the list won't help.) Moving forward with the old logo does NOT require a list of names, just a re-order request.

The reality is there are folks who have been waiting since last December for new plates. We've had eight months to reach 25, and we haven't. Regrets to those who had their hearts set on the new logo, but it's just not possible this time around. (Of course, the 18 people currently on the list should not feel obliged to purchase tags.) We are told it will take about four weeks for the new plates to be produced. We will post an update in this thread when they are ready. Meanwhile, we will begin the paperwork process for those still interested. More to follow.
MersonMonkeys
MGS Member

Post by MersonMonkeys »

Thanks for the update! It's a shame we could not get 25 people.. I even asked around and posted it on Reddit but it netted zero results... It's a shame we were only 5 short. If I really bugged my brother and sister that would be two more but that is still 3 short.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
FatBaldOldMan
Former MGS Officer

Post by FatBaldOldMan »

You can count me in. I recently moved back to Maryland from Florida, and I have two cars if you need those.
Al Woltz (AKA: FatBaldOldMan or FBOM)
HAPPeMurphy
MGS Member

Post by HAPPeMurphy »

Our two vehicles are patient and will wait for the new design.
Dradicus
MGS Member

Post by Dradicus »

I just renewed my plates last month. I didn't even think about it until I was putting the new Ag plates on my truck. Looking to move to WV soon anyway. If I would have seen this though for the new logo I would have taken that over the ag plates.
portlywalker
MGS Member

Post by portlywalker »

I will purchase plates whenever/whatever is declared available

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Alzarius
MGS Director

Post by Alzarius »

For those who missed the 16 October announcement on the front page:

The latest batch of MGS specialty plates is now available for purchase! Add a shiny new set of MGS tags to your geomobile to show off your favorite hobby and to notify other FTF seekers that they are too late. Please visit the MGS License Plate page for instructions.
fuzzydave
MGS Officer

Post by fuzzydave »

Alzarius wrote:For those who missed the 16 October announcement on the front page:

The latest batch of MGS specialty plates is now available for purchase! Add a shiny new set of MGS tags to your geomobile to show off your favorite hobby and to notify other FTF seekers that they are too late. Please visit the MGS License Plate page for instructions.
I got mine, 0101! Or for the puzzlers, 5.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
LuxGirl1969
MGS Member

Post by LuxGirl1969 »

I will be # 19 on the list.