Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

1/5 event - Smith's Island Day (thoughts? comments?)

Discuss upcoming events around the state.
nytepyre
MGS Member

Post by nytepyre »

So family pyre was chatting about visiting Smith Island this summer. We're getting sad looking at that one little delorme page sitting all emptyfied and alone in a sea of green squares. We're planning to sail from Crisfield on a Smith Island Cruise boat, info to be found here: http://www.smithislandcruises.com/crisf ... nd-cruises

We'll have a get-together, likely at a restaurant or something (I hear the local specialty is a homemade 10 layer cake 8O ), and then disband to explore the island. There is one cache there: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC1YHQP

This event has nothing to do with HOW you get there, there are boats available from Point Lookout and Crisfield (Crisfield is cheaper), you can parachute, hang glide, parasail, walk on water, row, take your own boat, swim, walk on water, and I guess members of the undead can walk on the seabed. (remember that movie???) That's the terrain 5 factor. For the Smith Island Cruises (the most likely way of reaching this event) there is a group rate available for boats if some friends wanted to plan ahead and buy a group of tickets, that would come with discounts at a restaurant on the island. A group is 15+ people and all tickets in the group must be purchased by one individual, so that would take some organizing.

So who would be interested? Is this something we should go ahead and plan? If so, I'm thinking June sometime after WGD, or early July.
nytepyre
=

Mompyre (scribe, cook, hippie-dippy),
Dadpyre (EE, family IT guy, musical talent),
Minipyre (babbler, swag grabber, pack rider)
lpyankeefan
MGS Officer

Re: 1/5 event - Smith's Island Day (thoughts? comments?)

Post by lpyankeefan »

Hey there! Sounds like a great idea!

I've attended a 1/5 event. Similar to this one except access was by kayak, power boat or swimming only.

June might be tough for us, but July would be perfect. We almost made the trip over to Smith's Island during our Eastern Shore CAM 2012 run this past weekend.
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
Driddy
MGS Member

Post by Driddy »

I would be very interested in this. Mid-to-late June or mid-to-late July works for me.
The9Searchers
Former MGS Officer

Post by The9Searchers »

Perhaps Sunday afternoon - 6/10/12 - would be good for you all since so many cachers will be over on the Eastern Shore that weekend anyway for the 2012 Wicomico Geocache Dash. Crisfield is less than an hour from the Salisbury area.
Just leave time to attend the planned Sunday morning breakfast event (8:00-10:00am)!
nytepyre
MGS Member

Post by nytepyre »

The9Searchers wrote:Perhaps Sunday afternoon - 6/10/12 - would be good for you all since so many cachers will be over on the Eastern Shore that weekend anyway for the 2012 Wicomico Geocache Dash. Crisfield is less than an hour from the Salisbury area.
Just leave time to attend the planned Sunday morning breakfast event (8:00-10:00am)!
This is a great idea! I like the idea of just going after the dash! Dadpyre seems to think this date would work well too.
nytepyre
=

Corfmania
Former MGS Officer

Post by Corfmania »

Tell the boat captain to swing down to Tangier on the way :)
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

The Zombie Horde was talking about this event, and were wondering about the available space on the ferry. How many people can it carry?
nytepyre
MGS Member

Post by nytepyre »

cooley1103 wrote:The Zombie Horde was talking about this event, and were wondering about the available space on the ferry. How many people can it carry?
Not 100% on this one, I know it's more than 42 people as they have a deal for 40 people with 2 comps, :lol: . I'll give them a call and find out how many a boat accommodates.
nytepyre
=

Moonpie10
MGS Member

Post by Moonpie10 »

When we did the caches on Tangiers and Smith Island we contacted a boat company in Chrisfield and they had to go pick up a wedding party on Smith Island. So we hired them to take us first to Tangier and then to Smith island turned out to be cheaper than just running to Smith Island. Anyway worked out well for us but we had to start in Chrisfield - we were already there doing the SSB caches. And no I don't remember who we made arragments with but they came up on a google search.
One can learn something new everyday while geocaching if one isn't carefull.
Driddy
MGS Member

Post by Driddy »

JennSSM10 and I will be attending the Wicomico event so we would be interested in going to Smith's Island on Sunday, June 10.
nytepyre
MGS Member

Post by nytepyre »

In case it slipped your notifications, the event has published! http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 4ec39c2863

Don't forget to let us know in your will attend if you plan to dine and how many, so we can give the restaurant a head's up!
nytepyre
=

nytepyre
MGS Member

Post by nytepyre »

Cache page has been updated!

For the Smith Island Cruises (the most likely way of reaching this event), we have reserved a group rate for that day for 20 people. They seem pretty lenient, so if we get more or less people, we should be good. However, if we get less than 15, than we have to pay full price, which isn't much more. Only one person can purchase the group rate tickets. So, if you'd like to get the rate, be sure to bring enough CASH with you. Also, credit/debit usage on the island is minimal, so be prepared with extra cash. The restaurant does take cards. We will not be getting the group rate at the restaurant, since this requires a locked-in reservation earlier in the week. To be a part of the group, you need to arrive at the Captain Tyler Motel at 701 W Main St Crisfield, MD 21817 (N 37 58.822, W 75 51.473) at or before 12:00 PM. Tickets will be purchased from the motel lobby at that time. If you have any questions, check out the site or send us a message.

Looking forward to the event and seeing you all! Please RSVP as soon as you know you will be attending so we can keep track of an estimate for the lovely folks who run the boats and the restaurant. :)
nytepyre
=

Corfmania
Former MGS Officer

Post by Corfmania »

RSVP ing for 1 at this time :)
coupleocachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by coupleocachers »

Count us in for 3.
We are now Mr. And Mrs. Coupleocachers and Proud parents of AmeliaGrace
Driddy
MGS Member

Post by Driddy »

Thanks for the leg work. There will be two of us and maybe a third.
The9Searchers
Former MGS Officer

Post by The9Searchers »

For those of you who intend to attend the 2012 Wicomico Geocache Dash festivities and then head to Smith Island on Sunday afternoon ...
The Sunday morning Breakfast Event has published - GC3KC1N

themeskoteam
MGS Member

Post by themeskoteam »

We'll really try to be there, but we can't seem to catch a break...
The Mrs. is camping with the boys in Assateague that weekend, and I'll see if she'll be up for it. I know that every time I plan to cache my way home from a camping trip, fatigue and the need to bathe tend to take precedence.
We've been planning a daytrip to visit SI, and cache Crisfield>Pocomoke>Snow Hill anyway, so maybe that could be the day.
Great idea for a event though! I hope we can get there...
Driddy
MGS Member

Post by Driddy »

Does anyone have a sense of how long it will take to get from Salisbury to the Western side of the Bay Bridge after the event?
Corfmania
Former MGS Officer

Post by Corfmania »

Removing my RSVP :(
nytepyre
MGS Member

Post by nytepyre »

Bridge concerns - Can't say, really! We have returned from the shore many times on Sunday, sometimes traffic is at a crawl, and sometimes we zip right through. We've yet to see a pattern to it!

Steve - Sorry to hear that! We'll catch you next time!
nytepyre
=