Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Puzzle workshop event interest

Discuss upcoming events around the state.
VinceHayter
MGS Member

Post by VinceHayter »

A couple of months ago, I noticed there was an event in NoVA which covered the tricks and tools of working through and solving geocaching puzzles. Unfortunately, I noticed it the day of the event and couldn't attend. However, I thought the concept was a pretty good one and was curious to see if anyone would be interested in hosting/attending something similar in the Annapolis/South county area. If so, what would you be interested in seeing presented (i.e. cryptography, specific tools, etc.)? Would anyone be interested in presenting? I know of several great (read: spaceous and free) meeting places available for such an event, but obviously it would require a bit of advance planning. I was thinking such an event would be a good mid-winter caching fix, but could take place whenever.

Aside from that, are there any other caching topics/areas of interest that could make for an interesting event? For example, I've always thought a workshop on creating homemade containers would be fun...
-remember when QotM used to be a thing? :roll:
nytepyre
MGS Member

Re: Puzzle workshop event interest

Post by nytepyre »

We'd be interested in attending an event like that! We're still n00bs, so we're not exactly qualified to present, but our interest in puzzle caches has grown considerably and I'm fascinated by them! ~Mompyre
nytepyre
=

Mompyre (scribe, cook, hippie-dippy),
Dadpyre (EE, family IT guy, musical talent),
Minipyre (babbler, swag grabber, pack rider)
Juju
MGS Member

Post by Juju »

I actually attended a puzzle workshop in NoVa in August '09. It was a last minute decision, and I arrived late, but I did make it for part of program. I would love to attend another "help with puzzles" workshop. Since I arrived late, I felt somewhat lost in what was going on.

The workshop was presented by Chris Hughes (cphug184). It was done in PowerPoint, and he sent out the presentation to you if you gave him your email. If you find someone to present the workshop, I will gladly forward the PowerPoint that Chris sent out to be used as a guide or framework.
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

I was at Chris' presentation as well. I still suck at puzzles, but it did help some. :-) Even better, it gave me some ideas for my own puzzles.
Driddy
MGS Member

Post by Driddy »

I am interested in attending.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

:smt023
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
cycleangela
MGS Member

Post by cycleangela »

I would definitely be interested in attending if life doesn't otherwise get in the way on the day of the event. I can use all the help I can get on puzzles.
cycleangela & geo-dogs Princess and Spazzy (aka Blue)
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Post by tazscouter »

I would be interested in attending if able. I vote for Sue-Cat to host. She is awesome with puzzles.
Juju
MGS Member

Post by Juju »

tazscouter wrote:I would be interested in attending if able. I vote for Sue-Cat to host. She is awesome with puzzles.
If she doesn't host, at least be a featured speaker!
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

tazscouter wrote:I would be interested in attending if able. I vote for Sue-Cat to host. She is awesome with puzzles.
Thanks taz ... I think VH will be the host, but perhaps I will speak. :-)
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

I think this is a great idea!!
EagleBlazer
Former MGS Officer

Post by EagleBlazer »

:smt032 Enough talk. When is it? :D
______EagleBlazer_____

VinceHayter
MGS Member

Post by VinceHayter »

Wow, well, I have to admit I didn't expect so much feedback so quickly nor to have this much interest. I was originally thinking this would be a winter event, but I may step it up if I can get my ducks in a row. If/when I host one I'd really like to do this right when/if it gets done. To that end, I'm not claiming any type of ownership of the idea at all; if someone else wants to run with the idea I will likely (and eagerly) attend. To that end, here are some ideas I was thinking of including as well as some considerations that have crossed my mind.
  • Curriculum
    • Sample puzzles for specific techniques
    • Nearby puzzles for solving and finding (various difficulties)
      • Permission to use extant puzzles for event...*
    • Event challenge puzzle, reward, SWBAT check, 'exit exam' cache, etc.
    • Presentation materials and content
      Internet availability for online puzzle tools (PurpleHell), maps, etc.
    Speakers, presenters, etc.
    Door prizes?
    Food?
This is a 'top of my head' list, I realize there is more that needs to be included, but I also wouldn't intend to make it more obtuse than necessary. Still, if I host it down my way I'd want to make worth the while of those attending. I have a couple of places in mind that meet most of the above (namely libraries) but I'm open to suggestions. As for timeline, October seems a little fast and I'll be busy with NaNoWriMo and work for most of November (but if I can swing it, again I'm open to it). Therefore, realistically, I'm thinking early December just before/after the holiday swap; comfortably distanced from holiday plans?
-remember when QotM used to be a thing? :roll:
Terri
MGS Member

Post by Terri »

As someone who goes crazy during Dec, could you move it back to Jan? Between the post office and Christmas, two family birthdays and live in general, chaos reigns during Dec. And while Jan has two family birthday, it also has a couple of holidays which give me time to recharge. (Have you noticed, we seem to do birthdays in twos.)
Juju
MGS Member

Post by Juju »

Although I'd like it "the sooner the better," I know it's not realistic. I agree a January or early February would be nice... Somewhere between all the holidays and CAM 2012.
Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

Snow can make January, and early Feb dicey... as in not being to get to the event due to snow on the roads, or not willing to drive in the snow/ice. Fall back dates in case of snow could work though (?). Oct is too soon for me. Nov/Dec are generally good atm.
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team
Juju
MGS Member

Post by Juju »

Sue-Cat wrote:Snow can make January, and early Feb dicey... as in not being to get to the event due to snow on the roads, or not willing to drive in the snow/ice.
Good point. Plus, earlier gives time for practicing the new skills during the bitter cold/snowy days... Also gets us set for "far away" puzzle caches that we can grab during CAM. Ahh, who am I kidding... I'll probably still be too puzzle challenged to figure them out... I always over-think things.
spitshined
MGS Member

Post by spitshined »

I'd definitely attend that. Especially if it's Annapolis area.
spitshined
MGS Member

Post by spitshined »

Rehobch is a puzzle guru. And Hostanut is pretty darn good too.
mjb007
MGS Member

Post by mjb007 »

I'm likely interested!