Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Event (proposed) for group/mob log of last DC webcam cache

Discuss upcoming events around the state.
TheWeatherWarrior
MGS Member

Event (proposed) for group/mob log of last DC webcam cache

Post by TheWeatherWarrior »

I am thinking it would be cool to have a flash mob, group type outing down to the last DC Webcam cache that exists. I'm thinking to also cross proposed this with the DC area geocache Meet-up group. I think it would be cool to have 10-30 people (any more and we'd likely need a permit from DC to "congregate") get in frame of the web cam at once. I'd also bring my regular camera so we'd all document the occasion with a higher resolution image. We could maybe for fun...call it "Occupy Geocache" (though I suspect someone probably did that already during the period I was gone).

Many probably already have a webcam cache logged, but many noobs likely don't, and this would be a cool way for long time cachers to meet up (if only briefly) with new cachers.

It is on 16th Street just up from K street NW. It is a couple blocks from Metro. There is also stuff to do after (or cache a whole bunch...like grabbing a ton of Virtuals too).

What do ya'll think? Any dates, in mind? Any piggy back events (the Scottish Masons event)?
tazscouter
MGS Officer

Re: Event (proposed) for group/mob log of last DC webcam cac

Post by tazscouter »

Sounds great but there is another event waiting to be published in DC at 3:00. You could do it before or after.

Would you have someone that could get the webcam photo also?
Bocco
MGS Member

Post by Bocco »

Hmmm..sounds like a nice opportunity to get multiple icons on the same day :thinking:
TheWeatherWarrior
MGS Member

tazscouter wrote:Sounds great but there is another event waiting to be published in DC at 3:00. You could do it before or after.

Would you have someone that could get the webcam photo also?
Waiting to be published event? I didn't have any specific date, just mentioned the one if folks prefer to piggy back. It just as easily could be another day.

I figure it would be easy enough to get the proof shot via iPhone, iPad, etc. on site. I do have someone I could ask as well (though I have not). Just want to get some feedback, track interest.
Bocco wrote:Hmmm..sounds like a nice opportunity to get multiple icons on the same day :thinking:
That is what I'm liking about the whole thing. I want to add a ridiculous amount of Virtual caches and grab this web cam cache. There is also a Wherigo cache across from the Scottish Rite event, but a short walk even if we schedule this differently. I would schedule this as an "event" (rechecking the criteria). There is 4 (or 5 if you walk a bit or have a bike, like I plan) Earth caches down on the mall.

BTW...this is a good time if you don't have Wherigo, to tag along, as I (via iPhone app) and others with the means may just let those group up.

This isn't a "high number" find day, more about variety and rarity.
lpyankeefan
MGS Officer

Post by lpyankeefan »

Awaiting publication of an event from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM at Ben's Chili Bowl. It's been in the queue since the weekend but I'm assuming that mtn-man is either busy with real life or given how few caches are usually published in Washington, D.C. that he may only check his queue once a week or so.

I'll let you know once the event publishes.

Thanks to all of the Volunteer Approvers who give so generously of themselves.
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
TheWeatherWarrior
MGS Member

lpyankeefan wrote:Awaiting publication of an event from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM at Ben's Chili Bowl. It's been in the queue since the weekend but I'm assuming that mtn-man is either busy with real life or given how few caches are usually published in Washington, D.C. that he may only check his queue once a week or so.

I'll let you know once the event publishes.

Thanks to all of the Volunteer Approvers who give so generously of themselves.
Ah....OK, thanks for the heads up. That is good to know. I don't want to have conflicting events. I'm wondering now if pre Scottish event (10am) would be smart...maybe 9am)

Edit...actually I think I'll request 1:30. That way it's right in between the two events, and might even aid in increasing attendance of your event as well.
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

lpyankeefan wrote:Awaiting publication of an event from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM at Ben's Chili Bowl. It's been in the queue since the weekend but I'm assuming that mtn-man is either busy with real life or given how few caches are usually published in Washington, D.C. that he may only check his queue once a week or so.
Mtn-Man is a reviewer for multiple states and DC, so he tries to dedicate a day to each of responsibilities.
Corfmania
Former MGS Officer

Post by Corfmania »

Anything involving Ben's Chili Bowl is a winner.
Moonpie10
MGS Member

Post by Moonpie10 »

cooley1103 wrote: Mtn-Man is a reviewer for multiple states and DC, so he tries to dedicate a day to each of responsibilities.
How do you know this?? Your gonna start rumors!
One can learn something new everyday while geocaching if one isn't carefull.
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

Moonpie10 wrote:
I don't know what you have heard, but word on the street is that Mtn-Man is a busy man. Rumor has it that he reviews for 5+ states.
lpyankeefan
MGS Officer

Post by lpyankeefan »

cooley1103 wrote:
Moonpie10 wrote:
I don't know what you have heard, but word on the street is that Mtn-Man is a busy man. Rumor has it that he reviews for 5+ states.
Oh I know, I know and I wasn't trying to make light of anything. Remember folks it IS a volunteer unpaid position. I'm fine. I merely wanted to let everyone know that it's been in the queue for a few days. I did say in my original post "Thanks to all of the Volunteer Approvers who give so generously of themselves."

When it's published, it's published. I can wait for Ben's Chili Bowl anyday! :-D
Last edited by lpyankeefan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheWeatherWarrior
MGS Member

OK, submitted it for review/publishing. I put the time as 1:30pm. Figured since it doesn't need a ton of time, it would slot perfectly between the two events, and hopefully increase the attendance of the others.
Corfmania wrote:Anything involving Ben's Chili Bowl is a winner.
I probably will go too.
I don't think Events have the same "commercial" restriction like regular cache's right? I know they get pretty restrictive with businesses. Hopefully it isn't an issue.
cooley1103 wrote:
Moonpie10 wrote:How do you know this?? Your gonna start rumors!
I never really paid attention, but my mind always said it was weird how the reviewers are selected for certain caches. Noticed that with my own over the years. Granted I've only done about 25 cache placements (adopted a few too).
lpyankeefan
MGS Officer

Post by lpyankeefan »

http://coord.info/GC465M9 - Baby It's Chili Outside! published sometime last night or this morning.

Please log your "Will Attend(s)" so that we can let the restaurant management know how many folks to expect. Likely this will be a grab and go kind of event with seating mostly reserved for others. I will post how big a block of seats are available as I talk with mgmt.

LPYF
TheWeatherWarrior
MGS Member

....and of course, mine was NOT approved. I tell ya, talk about double standard!
donbadabon
MGS Member

Post by donbadabon »

TheWeatherWarrior wrote:....and of course, mine was NOT approved. I tell ya, talk about double standard!
If I recall, you can't have an event specifically to find caches. If people want to find some on their own they can, but the event itself can't be about that.

Edit: Yep:

An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list.
TheWeatherWarrior
MGS Member

donbadabon wrote:
TheWeatherWarrior wrote:....and of course, mine was NOT approved. I tell ya, talk about double standard!
If I recall, you can't have an event specifically to find caches. If people want to find some on their own they can, but the event itself can't be about that.

An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list.
Perhaps I did specify enough that this was for cachers to meet and talk about caching (which is all is described is required on the cache types link when starting a cache). I did add a little more to the description. It also, isn't like it is a normal cache situation.
donbadabon
MGS Member

Post by donbadabon »

It is unfortunate that GC changed those rules a few years ago.

I guess there were cachers that abused the system somehow, but with the rules as they are now we will never have great events like JoeCthulhu's Capital Cache walks.

I attended this a few months after I started geocaching back in 2003, and if it weren't for this event, I wouldn't have met many of the cachers I know today:

http://coord.info/GCGVA4
lpyankeefan
MGS Officer

Post by lpyankeefan »

TheWeatherWarrior wrote:
donbadabon wrote:

Perhaps I did specify enough that this was for cachers to meet and talk about caching (which is all is described is required on the cache types link when starting a cache). I did add a little more to the description. It also, isn't like it is a normal cache situation.
Keep working with mtn-man on particulars regarding event wording. I have found that the reviewers are an easy lot to work with and genuinely would like to see most caches and events published.

I thought that there was some talk within the past year or so regarding a change in the guidelines regarding events being allowed for active cache hunts, but perhaps that was a regional test...or then again maybe I'm imagining the whole thing.

Please do keep trying to make this one work and let us know how things are progressing and when the event itself is finally published. :D
robert
MGS Site Admin

Post by robert »

The event should be the get-together, with the walk for caches an option not required to log the event. However you word it, that should be the gist of it.
-robert
MGS Site Admin, MGS Director, former Officer
Need to change or edit your username? Send me a PM!
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
lpyankeefan
MGS Officer

Post by lpyankeefan »

http://coord.info/GC2QE65

^ Here's the link for an event that was hosted at the Scott Circle Webcam in 2011. Try to model your wording and page after it and you should have no problems.