Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

History of Maryland Geocaching Presentation

Discuss upcoming events around the state.
deepdish23
MGS Director

History of Maryland Geocaching Presentation

Post by deepdish23 »

Some people have asked to have the power point presentation on the History of Geocaching. I have attached the presentation which also includes two spreadsheets imbedded into the presenation:

All Maryland Geocaches published between May 2000 and May 2001.
20 oldest caches in each Maryland County as of 10/1/2016
Attachments
History of Geocaching in Maryland.pptx
(919.1 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Re: History of Maryland Geocaching Presentation

Post by Calvertcachers »

Excellent presentation!!! Thank you Mark for your hard work and extra efforts :applause:

Reading about the first CAM brought back great memories!
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

What an awesome presentation! Thanks for sharing the slides, for those of us who couldn't make it to the Symposium. Hopefully one of these years, I won't have 50 million other things going on the day it is held. :(

For those who hadn't heard, Castle Rock Cache (GC69D) was just archived. Turns out it was on private property, and after all these years, someone finally met the land owner. A shame to see it go.
fuzzydave
MGS Officer

Post by fuzzydave »

Aw, man. So what's the next oldest traditional, for the 5 oldest challenge?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
deepdish23
MGS Director

Post by deepdish23 »

GC6FF Ivy Hill Cache - placed 04/16/2001 - Located in Baltimore County at Oregon Ridge Park.
lpaulriddle
MGS Director

Post by lpaulriddle »

A couple of people posted notes on the Castle Rock page wondering why it couldn't be moved instead of archived. It's about 500-600' from Frederick Municipal Forest property, so it wouldn't need to be moved far. However, the cache was named for the specific rock outcropping near which it was hidden, so if moved, the name would no longer make sense. IMO, archiving it was the right call. That said, it's a shame, because (to my knowledge) Castle Rock was the only remaining 2001 Maryland cache that still had its original container and log book. From the standpoint of caching in MD, that makes it historically significant. If it's still out there, I wonder if someone local to that area could mount a rescue mission? Perhaps the container and contents could be turned into a trackable, and displayed at various MGS events for discovery?? Just a thought.
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

I am working on recovering the log and removing the cache from private property. I will post more once there is more of a plan. Wye Knot? (GC4CC9) was also recently archived and on Wednesday I am driving over to replace/repair/find this cache so I can resurrect it.
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------
vyper4
MGS Member

Post by vyper4 »

No need to mount a rescue mission, I will be removing the cache once hunting season is over. I ask that no one attempts to go to this location.
It's impossible to move, to live, to operate at any level without leaving traces, bits, seemingly meaningless fragments of personal information. -- William Gibson
Lostsole68
MGS Member

Post by Lostsole68 »

vyper4 wrote:No need to mount a rescue mission, I will be removing the cache once hunting season is over. I ask that no one attempts to go to this location.
I was going to relay your email but you beat me to it. Yes the quest has been called off and may Castle Rock rest in peace :)
----------------
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."
-----------------