Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

5 Tips to Achieve Geocaching Stardom

General Chit-Chat.
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

5 Tips to Achieve Geocaching Stardom

Post by cooley1103 »

Thought I should pass along Groundspeak's recent post, in case you didn't see it.
Become a Geocaching Star in 5 Steps

1) Bring a Pen - There are few rules in the game. But one rule is that you need to sign the logbook. Always pack a pen to make sure you're ready to sign your Geocaching username, the date, and leave a note.

2) Leave No Trace - Be kind to the geocaching game board (which is the entire world). Make sure to Cache In Trash Out (CITO) when you geocache. Pick up litter along the way and leave geocaching locations free of trash.

3) Write a Great "Found it" or "Didn't find it" Log - When you find a geocache, or even when you don't find a geocache, make sure to share the spirit of adventure. Write a log detailing the geocaching journey for the geocache owner and for other geocachers.

4) Put the Geocache Back Where and How You Found it - It's tempting. You ask yourself, "Wouldn't the geocache be better hidden if it were just over there?" Resist the temptation. The geocache owner placed the geocache at a specific location for a reason and will need to find the geocache when it needs maintenance or when other geocachers need help finding the geocache.

5) Move Trackables Along - If you remove a Trackable, like a Travel Bug ®, from a geocache make sure to post a "retrieved" log and move the Trackable along to another geocache as soon as possible.
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Re: 5 Tips to Achieve Geocaching Stardom

Post by cooley1103 »

I keep looking at this and think what I should add or take away. The only thing I would do is add is:

6) Swag - Always trade and make it a good trade. Don't put rocks, broken toys, garbage, etc. in exchange for something awesome. So trade evenly so the next cacher can enjoy it too.

I love the other tips because it they help increase the longevity of this hobby we all love. Kind of like a pay it forward concept.
TheWeatherWarrior
MGS Member

Post by TheWeatherWarrior »

While I agree with it....it isn't about becoming a "star". It's like 10 years old internet addicts run Groundspeak/geocaching and need validation from other people. Ug.

See, I remember when these were just "RULES" of the game.
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

I think the "star" part was a little tongue in cheek to help remind people of some of the golden rules of geocaching.
TheWeatherWarrior
MGS Member

Post by TheWeatherWarrior »

littleblkdog wrote:I think the "star" part was a little tongue in cheek to help remind people of some of the golden rules of geocaching.
I'll reserve my comments, for now :whistle:
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

TheWeatherWarrior wrote:
littleblkdog wrote:I think the "star" part was a little tongue in cheek to help remind people of some of the golden rules of geocaching.
I'll reserve my comments, for now :whistle:
me too....
Moonpie10
MGS Member

Post by Moonpie10 »

cooley1103 wrote:I keep looking at this and think what I should add or take away. The only thing I would do is add is:

6) Swag - Always trade and make it a good trade. Don't put rocks, broken toys, garbage, etc. in exchange for something awesome. So trade evenly so the next cacher can enjoy it too.

I love the other tips because it they help increase the longevity of this hobby we all love. Kind of like a pay it forward concept.
Now if that rock was a 5 carat diamond would that be tacky? A Ferrari with a flat tire; would that be tacky? Not sure Garbage would fit in a cache and they might get thirsty.
I keep looking for gold nuggets. Leaving such things in a cache could make you a geocaching rock star.