Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

Running around to complete my Grid

General Chit-Chat.
Kovuisking
MGS Member

Running around to complete my Grid

Post by Kovuisking »

Each Weekend I am going to try and do some Maryland Caching to complete my grid. The plan is to hit one off my personal grid, then clear the area that this one is in. Starting with the easiest and working my way up to the hardest. I am avoiding kayak caches because I do not have a kayak myself. (If someone has 2 kayaks then I am more than willing to open up to more caches. So with that being said I have my list of challenges already and would like to know if others want to join in on this.

I would gladly follow through with others who need some numbers on their grid as well. FYI most of the caches I have left are */4.5 or */5. I have approximately 24 that I need to fill out. From there, I think I will probably start on either the Jasper challenge for Maryland, or well who knows. I mean thats suggesting 6 months as it is. So who knows whats going on 6 months from now. I may be taking some time to go home in 3 montns and maybe another trip home in 3 more months.

Feel free to contact me if you want to run around, I am currently stationed at NSAA (Support side of the Academy, just outside of Annapolis, MD. If you have special equipment, then all the better I would like to start next weekend. The cache will be a 1/4 Rocks Tops GCQKV9.

My contact Email is pyrowolf84@yahoo.com. Thanks guys and I look forward to meeting everyone! I am open to carpooling as some of these do reach quite the distance, and some of them that are further away I would like to see about getting a hotel room and taking full advantage of the area. There are a few people back home that I really want to surprise.
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Re: Running around to complete my Grid

Post by nighthawk700 »

I recently finished my grid with Rock Tops. Just wanted to wish your luck in your quest! Hopefully you don't get the shock that a few of us did, with someone changing a D/T on you during your quest. (Which is why I had to go to Rock Tops, actually).

One thing I found useful with a few of the D/Ts is trying to form a team. For 4.5/5 I used Psycho Urban Cache #8, and got a team of people here on the forums (several of them wound up not being able to make it for scheduling reasons, so there are others available who want it!). For my 4/5 I contacted a cacher who recently posted a DNF , and we got a group together to go for it.
Kovuisking
MGS Member

Post by Kovuisking »

That would be why I am posting this on the forum. Anyone who needs to fill out the D/T is welcome to join, Im also open for suggestions for different Caches. All in all, I am looking for a group to run around with and work together to reach one common goal. To fill the gr- wait..no...thats not right... TO HAVE FUN! Yes this would most definately be it!

So whose available this weekend for a 'simple' 1/4?

By the way thanks for making me feel welcome, I know I just moved in this week, I got to see this place for 2 months before I had to go to Virginia Beach for a while. Had some great caches there but now I am back here and looking forward to some great caches.

As I said before, everyone can feel free to join in on this or suggest other caches that should be done, the 'highlights' of the state if you may. Actually I think I know what I want to do after the Grid, I want to complete several Geotours. Sooo If your looking to travel a bit, have some fun etc...Please drop me an email so I can get in contact with you about completing some caches and overall just having a good time.
TheLoneBaker
MGS Member

Post by TheLoneBaker »

I'm looking at filling some of my grids as well. Will you be posting every week on this thread with the cache you plan on grabbing?
littleblkdog
Former MGS Officer

Post by littleblkdog »

Kovuisking-

Welcome aboard! You are now in the land of 366 day streaks (tons of caches abound making such feats much easier), Jasmer (everything you need is within a days one way drive) and Fizzy grids, the Maryland Geocaching Society, Cache Across Maryland (Awesome!),Meet the Officers breakfast, Summer and Fall Picnics, Holiday Gift Exchange, monthly get together events (GC4NDF3, see you there), and good year-round caching weather. You might think the winter isn't that great here but it is probably the best caching season (no spiders, snakes, serious snow or ticks). And don't forget Psycho Urban Caches (GCT66Z)! I think you will have a great time caching while you are here. I only have one more D/T left, I expect to be finished this weekend so good luck in your adventures.

Here is my log from my recent trip to Rock Tops. I did what you suggested and hit all the caches in the park while on a D/T. This log is a little bit of a guided tour to all the caches in the park. I took a little different approach to the RT GZ and I think I had a little bit better of a time getting to GZ than others have:

I came through a few weeks ago to find Kilgore Falls EarthCache but the parking lot was full so be sure to get there early - before 0900 or so on the weekends. So when I came back today I planned to get all the caches just for the fun of it. Tuck Everlasting was the first cache on the trail from the parking. It is up a rather steep hill but I decided to go for it and it worked out well for me. I cut up the hill when I was 90 degrees to the cache on the trail. It was light bushwhacking to the top and not to hard of a find although the hill is steep. From there I didn't really want to go back down the steep hill so I continued up a faint deer trail basically still at 90 degrees from the trail until it cut out into the edge of the field with the power lines where I turned left down a small trail and drainage which was easier to negotiate than a trip back down the hill. This trail from the corner of the field dropped me right to the clearing at the top of Kilgore Falls which allowed me to cross the stream an continue in a U shape path that brought me directly to the other caches in the park. Once at the top of the falls I had an easy time recording the answers for Kilgore Falls EarthCache and enjoying the view. After making my way down the rock stairs I went along the trail down river until I cut to the right up the trail a little for Let's Split the Cache. Afterwards I continued up the trail until it disappeared. From there I cut through the small gully and went up the hill towards Rocks Tops. Once across the gully I had a fairly easy bushwhack to the cache which was an easy find. This was an important find for me. DT 1-4 is one of the last four I need for my Fizzy so I was very happy to make the find.
This was the 6th cache find of 19 today with 0 DNF(s) to make 1705 total finds. Logs was signed as littleblkdog or LBD! Thanks to Vizardo for the Cache!
Kovuisking
MGS Member

Post by Kovuisking »

@ Veldomert666 Yes. My intention is to post what caches I will be hitting each weekend. If by chance it skips over someones needs, then they can contact me and I would gladly look up the area and find out what other caches that the other person needs as well. I am also fully open to suggestions as I go through these. Meaning if someone knows a better cache that is the same rating we can go there. I wrote out a tentative schedule of caches, a few are a bit farther away than I would like but it was either because the other had a challenge I did not complete yet, or a puzzle at the time that I just shook my head at.

Right now I have no Kayak caches on my list, but someone contacted me and told me they had a truck that they wouldnt mind going kayaking for a couple. As I said before most of the caches were Terrain 4.5 or 5. (Honestly I dont know what the difference between someone calling a terrain 4.5 and saying... 'well is not quite a 5.

Next week I am open for suggestions for good caches for a 1/4.5 I am currently looking at GC133RR Isolated. Let me know if you want to join in on Sunday or if you have suggestions for either cache. Well heck let me know any opinions you have I am pretty laid back when it comes to caching, its always more fun with a partner by your side, one to share your faults with and laugh at the stupid stuff you do when caching.
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

Kovuisking wrote:Next week I am open for suggestions for good caches for a 1/4.5 I am currently looking at GC133RR Isolated. Let me know if you want to join in on Sunday or if you have suggestions for either cache.
If you want, I can see if my boss still has that puny blow up boat we used. ;-) Really, you could just walk there (make sure to bring a change of clothes), and watch out for the hypodermic needles either way!!
Kovuisking
MGS Member

Post by Kovuisking »

Alright I think that 1/4 was a very good success. Some could not make it, so it turned out to be me and unusualsuspect. Now I know I said I was going to start doing right down the list from my caches, but my friend here is only 1 away from completing his grid. He is missing the 4.5/4.5. So needless to say, I want to do him the favor, and myself as well, of completing that. I have a friend that has duty on Saturday and he wanted to do this even if hes a non cacher (He will one day be one of us lol). So anyway...The game plan: I would like to get to know more people in the area, so my game plan for this weekend...

Saturday: 1/4.5 - Isolated GC133RR
--I plan on Wading through this to the island, unless others have gear, but it doesnt seem like its that far a wade to get a craft of any type out.

Sunday: 4.5/4.5 - The great depression -- GC255PB
--Tentatively, I want to make sure that the one that originally suggested this one is available for another cache.
--This cache is a premium members only cache.
--If this does not work out for people then perhaps I could also look into one other if we have others wanting to fill the grid. Choose your Gnome Adventure --GCBHJX
--Final note, I hope. Remember this is a 4.5/4.5. So it may not be a simple little grab and go. I am filling out my grid as well as helping others do the same. If you ever have a suggestion that you want to fill your grid, I have more than enough spots that I need filled and I will most likely be able to find something to do with everyone.

Alright with this schedule in place, anyone have any thoughts? As a side note last time when we were out we did 8 caches that were 3+ terrain a piece. I look forward to meeting people and hearing peoples thoughts on caches they would like help with and who I will be able to meet. I think this is a great chance to get out and bring this group together.

I will admit the first thought into this was my own greed, but as I started contemplating this, I think I will try to do this as long as possible. It gives everyone a chance to have someone to help buddy up with. Especially those that do run solo a lot like myself. Its something I can do right away to give back to the MGS Soc- er...no I wont be redundant...give back to MGS is what I ment to end with. Yup.

Ok NOW im open for comments and thoughts!
USN Radio Chief
MGS Member

Post by USN Radio Chief »

I'm in for both Saturday and Sunday caching, since Sailors don't have anything to do on weekends when we don't have duty.

For Saturday's cache, I'll just wade or swim to it. It doesn't look that far.

Just let me know what time you wanna meet up.
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

USN Radio Chief wrote:I'm in for both Saturday and Sunday caching, since Sailors don't have anything to do on weekends when we don't have duty.

For Saturday's cache, I'll just wade or swim to it. It doesn't look that far.

Just let me know what time you wanna meet up.
I don't think it's deep enough to effectively swim. Knee to thigh, maybe waist deep for the most part. Make sure you wear shoes, I know I saw needles in the water when I went. I look forward to reading your logs!!
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

Kovuisking wrote: Saturday: 1/4.5 - Isolated GC133RR

Sunday: 4.5/4.5 - The great depression -- GC255PB
Congrats on conquering both of these caches over the weekend, and great write-ups of your experiences. And especially congrats to UnusualSuspect who completed his D/T grid at The Great Depression... unaided! :-)
Kovuisking
MGS Member

Post by Kovuisking »

Well there was some confusion this weekend, as some wanted to come out to do the caches but there was a failure of communication. So if someone wants to hit up each week Ill take note of who it is and a few days before the cache run I will find out where exactly we are going, what time we should meet up, find out if we can carpool (To save gas and money), or any other details to hash out. I apologize for those that could not make it to this cache, it was really a fun weekend and the park was nearly cleared out by the time we got done, leaving plenty of time left over afterwords. So for next week, since I have to figure out the puzzle to the 1/5 Aug 19 2013 cache GC4HF6Q.

This being said, I will continue on till I figure it out (Because I dont really want to go to New Jersey for a cache. Nor do I want to make anyone feel like they have to drive that far. So next on my personal list I have 2 options written down so I will need some input. Now mind you there were others that were only 20 miles away, but I was also trying to take into an account of something that might be worth seeing, or something that earned a few extra favorite points. If anyone has any desire to go to some other cache that is this rating feel free to speak up.
1-Reach the "Beach" - 1.5/3.5 - Traditional - 8.6 Miles from Annapolis GC17FVQ
2-DC Rocks - 1.5.3.5 - Earthcache - 29 Miles from Annapolis - GC20KPZ

This will be done on Friday. Seeing as how I have work all day Saturday, I will be unable to do anything then. That being said I get off work on Sunday morning and will probably be looking to spend the morning and into the afternoon out on a couple of caches. Ok, and after looking at my list, I decided I would leave the second one as an open discussion as well among friends. Try to see if I can help liven our crowd up a bit. I had another rough decision. This one skips the 1.5 a little, as I said I was running right down the list, and goes to 2/4.5.

1-The Beaches of Avalon - Premium Member only - Traditional - 22 Miles from Annapolis GC4AX86 (Might be disabled shortly due to a message today that says the cache is missing)
2- Two Dogs - Traditional -22 Miles from Annapolis GC39Q16
3-Thick as Thieves - Traditional - 47 Miles from Annapolis. (Added because it received a lot of favorite points)

So thats about it, Caching plans will be about Friday afternoon and Sunday morning unless otherwise requested. The caches arent necessarily set in stone, if anyone knows better caches to take care of these numbers, feel free to shoot a line, I am more than willing to work with anyone. I know that regretfully Chief wont be able to make it out, which really is a shame because he is this sponge of mass amounts of information on history. Hes very awesome to cache with.

On a side note: I have made it up to 800 today! More to come later I am sure.
nighthawk700
MGS Member

Post by nighthawk700 »

Kovuisking wrote:1-Reach the "Beach" - 1.5/3.5 - Traditional - 8.6 Miles from Annapolis GC17FVQ
2-DC Rocks - 1.5.3.5 - Earthcache - 29 Miles from Annapolis - GC20KPZ
If you do DC Rocks (a beautiful view!) be sure to go across (or around, via the sidewalk on Rt. 29) the river to get The Three T's (http://coord.info/GCK72F). There's a reason it has 35 favorites. (This is a 4/4.5, which it looks like you don't have, so this would be a 2'fer for you!!)
TheLoneBaker
MGS Member

Post by TheLoneBaker »

Kovuisking wrote:So for next week, since I have to figure out the puzzle to the 1/5 Aug 19 2013 cache GC4HF6Q.

This being said, I will continue on till I figure it out (Because I dont really want to go to New Jersey for a cache. Nor do I want to make anyone feel like they have to drive that far.
I took a quick glance at the puzzle in question and solved it instantly. I'm sure we can work out a time to go grab it.

As for this weekend's plans; I've actually already gotten both terrain ratings you plan on attempting. However, DC Rocks is practically a stones throw away from where I live and I could probably easily join you even though I've already pretty much cleared out the whole trail.
humphr1d
Former MGS Officer

Post by humphr1d »

There is great news regarding some kayak caches. Check out the YIPR series (GC4FAME and several others). You can rent kayaks here and they have a great kayak launch which helps getting your journey started. :D
Kovuisking
MGS Member

Post by Kovuisking »

Thank you humphr.

In other news I think the friday thing may be delayed because we are still working a full day today, unlike a normal condition, we have to prepare for inspections. I will keep people posted though!

Edited to confirm a change of plans. Sorry for the disappointment! I do still plan to hit 2 off my grid this weekend, so therefore I get off work at 8:15AM. By 8:30 I would like to be on the road to start one or more of these caches, DC Rocks sounds really good and I would like to be near DC before all the chaotic rush.

All day thing going on because I REALLY need something to relax. Maybe good hike, anyway If anyone wants to contact me, they can shoot me an email and request my cell phone number Ill gladly take some people out to the caches! As an incentive, remember these are some higher level terrains, so it would be a great way to boost your terrain average up.
Kovuisking
MGS Member

Post by Kovuisking »

I wanted to let everyone know what future plans I have for this. Because you know, eventually my grid will be full, and I will gladly help others and go find grid caches for others but only if I get responses. So here is a bit of a breakdown what the game plan is after I fill my fizzy grid.

1-I want to start on the Geotours, if there are coins left, great if not, ah well its a fantastic set of caches completed. (clear local park as well)

2-If not working on Geotours, I want to start by cruising around the state to the 'top favorites' (Clear local park as well)

3-By this time some of the CAM caches should be up and running for the 2014 CAM

4-Cache every county in Maryland, if its not already done.

So thats about it for now, I plan on hitting up a couple of caches early in the morning still if anyone wants to run around with me. I have a few people Ill be contacting today to see if they are game for it. But as always the more the merrier so I hope to see a lot of people jumping on this oppertunity. Alright till later! Have a great Saturday, all!
Kovuisking
MGS Member

Post by Kovuisking »

Alright so I wanted to give everyone a heads up for the next weekend so they know if they can make it to the next set of caches. So here goes, the game plan for the next weekend.

First of all I have work on Sunday this week, so Bleh. It will have to be a Friday and a Saturday run. But before I get into that I want to say that this past weekend was a great run through, took Asher (Veldermert666) out for a couple of caches where he knocked out a few of his needs, and managed to get me a bonus for my grid. YAY. As of that weekend, I managed to take care of DC Rocks, Three T, Dino #24, and Dino #7. Still a long way to go, plenty to help others do. I look forward to doing a bunch of caches with everyone.

So I looked over my list and critiqued it a bit more recently, breaking down the nearest caches even more by location and direction from me. Since I dont know how much time I will have on friday I will plan for a short day and if something comes up.

For Friday
Rock the Cachebah! - GC31YXB - 18 Miles from Annapolis. 4.5 / 2.5
-Members only cache
-Also qualifies for one of those isolated caches. If there is extra time I would like to hit the other parts of this peninsula.

Plus if Chief is ready, I would like to get the first set of coordinates for the Unlucky Number 13 Cache. Rated a 5/3 Its said to go all across the state and since I am already running around the state looking for the grid, it would be nice to actually see if maybe I run into a part 2 by chance or something of the sort. So...Who all is with me! (May actually pick up the first set of coords after work one of these days since its right across the way for me. This also gives me another mission of things to add to the list of tasks to complete.

For Saturday

August 19 2013 - Hide from the Zombies -Puzzle- GC4HF6Q - 34 Miles Southwest. 1/5
Chuck CO NYTPT #60: Zombie Safety Zone -Traditional- GC31J03 - 35 Miles Southwest 1.5/4.5
Woodrow Wilson Bridge Challenge -Multi- GC2HT7Q - 33 Miles Southwest 4/3.5 (Park closed)

-Note I didnt look into much detail where these ended up. If theres plenty of caches around and those that are caching with me want to clear the area first, we may not get to all three of these. Im not too worried about it, there is always another day. With luck these caches are close to each other.

Feel free to let me know some thoughts. As a side note Saturday could easily become a day where you earn your well rounded cacher badge. Only a few more cache types, if we find a Cam cache, a virtual (I saw one close by), an Earthcache, and maybe see if there is an event nearby or whatever else it takes to get all the types you can in one day. OK, so feel free to give back some input! I look forward to hearing all that I can to make this opportunity better.
Kovuisking
MGS Member

Post by Kovuisking »

Due to complications of government shutdown and other stuffs that is quite out of my control I had to push back my events. So I know that I have this next weekend off...I can assume that I am getting out at roughly 1500 on a Friday which leaves me enough time to finish off or clean up Kent Island a bit more (or at least find part 2 of the long multi.) So anyway without further delay here is my tenative schedule, I will be putting out txts to those that are on my list and seeing if they want to go out again.

Friday: (East) Kent Island. Project- Working on the 13 stage multi and possibly clearing out the island, Probably going after a 4.5/2.5 - Rock the Cachebah. -GC31YXB
-Premium Member
-Isolated.

Saturday: I would like to start way (Northwest).
1-Psycho Urban Cache #1 - GCQ8YA - 2.5 / 5 - 61 Mi
-Premium Member
2- King of the Hill GC397NH - 3/4.5
-Premium Member
3-Through the Truss Cache GC34PH9 - 3.5 / 4.5
4-Leave Me Alone - GC12560 - 4.5/3.5
5- Two Dogs - GC39Q16 -2/4.5
-Premium Member
6-Border Collie Way 4.5 / 3
-Premium
7- Timber!!! - GC3NP2P - 2.5 / 4.5 (?)
-This cache was also attempted once before by me but I want to go after it again because I am crazy like that and want to recover a frowny into a smiley, it was found fairly recently, a couple of months ago, and I know the cache owner.
-If I dont do this one I have a backup plan for Sunday.

This set eventually narrows back toward my home town and depending on what time of day it gets to be, more plans can be made from there. All in all guys, I wanna get a good size group out and just have some fun with these caches. I want to get to know people, so if anyone has a want or a need to clear any or all of these out, feel free to speak up and join. If I was able to find all 6 and just that, it would be an amazing day.

Sunday: Southwest
1-The Amazing GeoRace - GC3PM3R - 5 / 4.5
-Premium
-WhereIGo
2-Woodrow Wilson Bridge Challenge -Multi- GC2HT7Q - 33 Miles Southwest 4/3.5
3-August 19 2013 - Hide from the Zombies -Puzzle- GC4HF6Q - 34 Miles Southwest. 1/5
4-Chuck CO NYTPT #60: Zombie Safety Zone -Traditional- GC31J03 - 35 Miles Southwest 1.5/4.5
(Note I am hesitant about #3 and #4. I looked up where the puzzle lead and I wasnt too thrilled with the 1/5. It would better serve as a 1/2? 1/3 if its busy? Im open for opinions in fact really asking for people to speak up. We are a collection of people that share a common interest! Lets get out and get together and enjoy it together! Alright well, thats my rant for now. Lets show some MGS Pride and enthusiasm!)

Alright Sunday looks a bit bare because I need to look again what I am doing when. If it remains too bare I might just do another day of the Unlucky13. Im not to sure what to do, I might head out west, but I do think this would make for a good filler day, perhaps a day to take advice from everyone else and say 'hey what do you want to do! Im greedy I took out Saturday for myself. (And kinda did Friday, but that was a part day anyway. So lets hear it everyone! I wanna get out and cache with everyone I can, get to know everyone I can and help you all on your way to completing your Fizzy Grid.

What would you all like to see to get more active as a group? Im all ears!
Kovuisking
MGS Member

Post by Kovuisking »

Some things fell through, had to work on a Saturday. So lots did not get done. However with Cito coming up this weekend I dont know exactly what is in store, though I would like to knock out the big day on sunday. Tenative schedule.

Friday- Kent Island (Still) for Unlucky13, from there follow where it takes me.

Saturday- CITO
-Afterwards I want to do:
1-The Amazing GeoRace - GC3PM3R - 5 / 4.5
-Premium
-WhereIGo
2-Woodrow Wilson Bridge Challenge -Multi- GC2HT7Q 4/3.5

Sunday-

1-Psycho Urban Cache #1 - GCQ8YA - 2.5 / 5 - 61 Mi
-Premium Member
2- King of the Hill is close to being archived
2- Leave Me Alone - GC12560 - 4.5/3.5
3-Timber!!! - GC3NP2P - 2.5 / 4.5 (?)
-This cache was also attempted once before by me but I want to go after it again because I am crazy like that and want to recover a frowny into a smiley, it was found fairly recently, a couple of months ago, and I know the cache owner.