Forum software has been updated!
  • If you subscribed to Digests, click your name on the top right, then User Control Panel, then Digests tab and resubscribe.

2014 MGS Core Nominations

What's New And Exciting in the MGS
robert
MGS Site Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by robert »

It's that time of year to begin the selection process for MGS Core Officers for 2014. If you would like to run, please feel free to nominate yourself in this thread or if nominating someone else please be sure to have their permission before declaring them here. Nominations will begin November 1. The complete list of nominees will be published December 1, along with the beginning of official voting.

The list of positions are:
  • President
  • Vice President
  • Secretary
  • Treasurer
  • Public Relations
Below are the duties of each position as defined in the MGS bylaws.
ARTICLE XI:

Section 2. PRESIDENT
The President will be the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of this Society in charge of all of its activities and business. All other officers and staff shall report to the President or his or her delegate. The President shall be entitled to attend any meeting of the Board or of any committee. The President shall report annually to the Board on the current state of this Society and plans for the future. The President shall submit to the Board the annual budget and annual business plan of this Society for the next fiscal year at least 30 days prior to the commencement of the fiscal year. The President will be empowered to call special meetings of the Board as set forth herein, and shall discharge all other duties as may be required by these Bylaws and from time to time may be assigned by the Board.

Section 3. VICE-PRESIDENT
The Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President in the absence of the President and make arrangements for scheduling meeting dates and locations.
The Vice-President will also supervise all Committees.

Section 4. SECRETARY
The Secretary shall keep or cause to be kept the minutes of the Board in one or more books provided for that purpose, will see that all notices are duly given in accordance with the provisions of these Bylaws or as required by law, and in general perform all duties as from time to time may be prescribed by the President or the Board.

Section 5. TREASURER
The Treasurer shall have charge and custody of all the funds of this Society and shall keep or cause to be kept, in books belonging to this Society, full and accurate amounts of all receipts and disbursements, and shall deposit all money and other valuable effects in the name of this Society in such depositories as may be designated for that purpose by the Board. The Treasurer shall disburse the funds of this Society as may be ordered by the Board or the President and, whenever requested by them, shall deliver to the Board and the President an account of all his or her transactions as Treasurer and of the financial condition of this Society. The Treasurer shall be responsible for this Society’s financial planning and forecasting and shall assist the President in the preparation of this Society’s annual budget. The Treasurer shall coordinate and oversee this Society’s funding, including any audits or other reviews of this Society. The Treasurer shall be responsible for all other matters relating to the financial operation of this Society.

Section 6. PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
The Public Relations Officer shall endeavor to present the advantages of being a member of the MGS in association with Geocaching, as a healthy and enjoyable
hobby/sport in general, utilizing all media and/or means at his disposal.
He may also coordinate games for events and be the official “Welcome Wagon” on the web site. This entails trying to keep an active participation of the website by encouraging members to post articles and forum remarks in the various threads. Work with other organizations to increase the awareness of the MGS inside of the hobby and work with organizations outside of the hobby who may acquire an interest in the relationship to Geocaching through the MGS.
He shall also inquire of the membership for potential participation in media interviews and assist the other officers in awards and ceremonies.
The Public Relations Officer or his designated representative(s) must be available to spend a great majority of events at the registration table as well as help the other officers in any presentations or themes for events.
This is a great opportunity to give back to your fellow friends and geocachers in the great state of Maryland!
-robert
MGS Site Admin, MGS Director, former Officer
Need to change or edit your username? Send me a PM!
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
robert
MGS Site Admin
It’s my birthday

Re: 2014 MGS Core Nominations

Post by robert »

Nominations have begun! Please submit your nominations, with the nominee's permission of course, to this thread. Be sure to include the position they are being nominated for!

We will begin the voting on December 1st!
:)
-robert
Link to the MGS | Visit us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | robert@mdgps.org
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

I would like to encourage anyone who has an interest and some free time, to consider running for office.

If you are thinking about a position, but are not sure and have questions, please feel free to PM me, Robert, or any of the current or former officers.

The MGS is an outstanding group because of the many folks who have devoted time over the years to make our organization what it is today! It is very rewarding to give back to a sport/hobby that we all love!
Corfmania
Former MGS Officer

Post by Corfmania »

I believe self-nominating is allowed so don't be shy! And ditto what Calvertcachers said. It's fun and rewarding!
robert
MGS Site Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by robert »

We're just about half-way through the month and no nominations have come in yet. May be folks talking about it but haven't put their hat into the ring yet. There are open spots, and if you have a passion for geocaching, the MGS can use you!

You don't need to have a whole lot of 'experience' in these sorts of things, and there are directors on board to help guide you. Some have been here for at least 10 years now, so there's plenty of history there for support. I was an officer for a few years and have been working on the website since 2003 and have enjoyed it quite a bit!

So .... don't be shy! Let any of the directors know if you have questions, or feel free to email me directly: robert [at] mdgps.org
-robert
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

I saw Tom's response, but for our remaining officers, what are your plans for next year?
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

It has been a true pleasure to serve again this past year! However, due to a family commitment, and other geocaching & geotrail responsibilities, I am not going to seek office in 2014.

I will be more than happy to help whoever is elected in anyway possible. So, if you are thinking about running for office, keep in mind, you have a great support system with all of the current and former officers!
Kovuisking
MGS Member

Post by Kovuisking »

I would but 1- Im still fresh to the group. 2-I dont know anything about the positions 3- The free time I have is on the weekends other than that I work till 4pm (at least), and dont know the demands of the group. Plus I think it would be best if people knew the officer on the site. Good luck to all canidates!
EagleBlazer
Former MGS Officer

Post by EagleBlazer »

:D Hi friends, I was going to run again next year but after reflecting on some of the curveballs that life threw at me this year while Vice President I've decided to take a step back for a while. I love doing stuff for our organization and helping to make it the best state geocaching organization there is. So I will always be around to help when needed.

Being a good officer in the MGS does take personal time sacrifice, willingness to put your own geocaching aside at times and even some of your own money & resources sometimes. But it is always very fulfilling and worth every bit.

I would love to see some of the newer members toss their hat in the ring and get involved. There are many that I think would be great at being an officer in the MGS.

Thanks for letting me be of service to you these past years!
EB
______EagleBlazer_____

cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

I am officially announcing my candidacy for President.

This past week I had a good friend, and long standing MGS member reach out to me asking me why I was not running. I thought it over for a couple of days, talked to wife (Cycleangela), and some good friends and they all agreed that I should do it.

Now, I can't do this on my own. We need some more people to step up and help.

If you do not like the idea of President or VP, think about positions like Secretary or Treasurer. These are both very important roles and their duties are slightly less stressful than that of President or VP
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

I would like to second Brian's nomination for President!

I would also like to nominate Charlie - Trainbug for another term as treasurer.

I am also thrilled to nominate Kelly Sullivan for PR!

Thanks to everyone for stepping up!
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Post by _JohnnyCache »

I will second the nominations of Trainbug for Treasurer and Kelly Sullivan for PR!
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein
Calvertcachers
Former MGS Officer

Post by Calvertcachers »

I am pleased to nominate Kassie - eissak for Secretary. Over the course of the past few years Kassie has begun to assist the MGS with MML and NPS hides, and more recently she helped the Town of Cheverly. You can read more about Kassie in last month's Member Spotlight.
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Post by _JohnnyCache »

I second the nomination for eissak as secretary.
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-- Albert Einstein
cooley1103
Former MGS Officer

Post by cooley1103 »

I would like to nominate DeepDish23(Mark) for VP.
_JohnnyCache
Former MGS Officer

Post by _JohnnyCache »

I second the nomination for DeepDish23 as VP.

-- Albert Einstein
Trainbug
Former MGS Officer

Post by Trainbug »

I accept my nomination for Treasurer. Thank You.
robert
MGS Site Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by robert »

Way to step up, folks! :applause: To confirm current nominations:
  • President - cooley1103
  • VP - DeepDish23
  • Secretary - eissak
  • Treasurer - Trainbug
  • PR - KSullivan
Anyone else have a hat to throw into the ring?
-robert
EagleBlazer
Former MGS Officer

Post by EagleBlazer »

Wow, that's awesome! That's a great line up right there. Thanks everyone for stepping up!
______EagleBlazer_____

Sue-Cat
MGS Member

Post by Sue-Cat »

Bumping... came to check on nominations and had to hunt around for the thread.

:-)
Sue, Vinny & Sue Team